1st 100K mile Tesla Model 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've driven the Model 3 a number of times now. I like it. If I did not have to go rapidly between FL and NY, I'd purchase one. Tesla batteries do seem to hold up well and range loss is just not an issue. Mostly due to sandbagging. But so what? I think it's a great battery management strategy.

I sure hope they get the range up to a point where long highway trips don't require hours sitting at the charger.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Wind closed doors and something broke?

I took that to mean the wind took the door to the max open stop, not closed. I've seen hinges damaged from hitting the stop on other cars, means little.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
No charging at home... I love starting every day with a "full tank".
How many cars, at any price, hold up this well?

100,000 Mile Model 3

If you're surprised at a modern vehicle lasting 100K...lolz! His experience is the same I had with my CX5 to 100K. Nothing broke except things destroyed by the environment (ironically also crossing a stream).

That said, when someone other than Tesla makes an AWD SUV PEV with 6-800mi range, I'll gladly buy. My solar array produces way more juice than my house alone uses. Free fuel!

Originally Posted by edyvw
Wind closed doors and something broke?
Yeah, considering how cheap they feel inside, I can see that happening.

Very true. I've had some vicious wind try to over-extend doors on numerous cars I've owned. Never an issue. That said, each event is dynamic, so impossible to judge.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Originally Posted by dareo
Honestly i would expect every major car to make 100k miles trouble free if all the miles are done in 2 years. I bet you could do the same thing in an Audi A3.

Agreed. And Audi has been manufacturing cars for well over 100 years; they have tons of experience.
They are beautiful cars.
But you could say the Tesla electric car is ahead of the Audi platform. Audi's range is about 200 miles.

Tesla electric platform is better. However, thing is, Audi is faaaaaaar better vehicle in general.

There is some interesting talk about the next gen Tesla. They recently purchased/acquired a large share of Maxwell stock, the manufacturer of supercapacitors. Supercaps can't replace batteries as the energy density is too poor. But they can "facilitate" the use of a batteries that can't discharge rapidly.

In other words, the chemistry of lithium batteries is adjusted for more energy density, but far lower charge/discharge rates. The supercapacitor provides the power for heavy acceleration and also efficiently absorbs regenerative braking.

I have 285k miles on my '04 Vibe.

Other than normal wear parts; It needed an intake manifold gasket, and a starter in that time.
crazy2.gif

Anyone who understands the incredible complexity of modern cars can appreciate the potential Tesla has for fewer repairs and little maintenance. I feel certain that they could really last at least as far as drivetrain woes.

I have heard they all have a built in computer issue with burning out a chip due to excessive data logging. Not to mention a lot of internet hysteria about them.

I'm not a fan, but like many I need a 5 minute fill up, not an hour! Maybe someday...

Originally Posted by SteveSRT8
Anyone who understands the incredible complexity of modern cars can appreciate the potential Tesla has for fewer repairs and little maintenance. I feel certain that they could really last at least as far as drivetrain woes.

I have heard they all have a built in computer issue with burning out a chip due to excessive data logging. Not to mention a lot of internet hysteria about them.

I'm not a fan, but like many I need a 5 minute fill up, not an hour! Maybe someday...

Electric is the future, I agree. Tesla isnt, their profit loss year after year agrees.

I need to see a minimum of 600mi range on paper before I buy any PEV.

Originally Posted by SteveSRT8

That's not how it works.
Charge at home and you start the day with a full tank. Over 200 miles which covers most people's daily needs by far.
Stop at a supercharger and charge for 20 minutes to get 50%.

Certainly not as good for distance driving, but for daily driving you will spend far less time fueling up because you hardly ever need to stop at a station.
Different? Yes. But you learn.

EVs are not for everybody, especially in their current state. Cold weather, state laws, charging options and personal needs dictate a lot.
Having said that, IMO many people have misconceptions about these cars.

Folks let's not pretend Jeff here is just a fanboy, he has a collection of coveted lower production fine automobiles spanning several decades. Tesla and their dear leader may have their issues, but credit where credit is due they are starting to show a lot of progress in the reliability of their drive systems and batteries. No doubt their success also spurred the Chinese firms now producing some impressive designs as well. EV's may not take over the market but if their rare earth elements cost becomes a one time thing, they are a lot more serviceable from an economic and environmental perspective.

Just so you know, I am a highly critical person; I measure everything. Heck, I count when I walk.
I do predictive analytics for a multi-billion dollar Silicon Valley company.
As I have stated, EVs are not for everyone. I happen to live in a place with high gas costs, lotsa sunshine, progressive technology and opportunity.

Regarding Tesla cars, I consider them a toy. They are expensive. I bought a relatively cheap one.
No one needs a Tesla. A Civic/Corolla/CR-V/Rav4 is all just about anyone needs. And an old pickup...
No one needs a Corvette, Porsche, Audi, Benz, you name it. Or a Lexus.
Plus the Honda Toyota cars hold their value and all the available data shows them to be the best built cars in the world.

I am an early adopter; I actually bought the car for my wife. I could not even test drive the Model 3 because I had surgery and was on crutches at the time.
My post here is to show Tesla's progress or lack of it.
Tesla is a baby in the car business. It is amazing how well they have done.
My car goes 260 miles on a charge which is far better then the Porsche Audi platform, with all their incredible history and might.

Will Tesla make it? Who knows.
Look what they have done: designed and build incredible cars AND a huge charging infrastructure network.
They sold 97K cars last quarter and had the backlog to sell more.
On the Tesla forums, people are complaining that they have to wait to get their orders filled.
The cars are shipping to Europe due to demand. The Model Y and Pickup are lurking...

Finally, if we could have only 1 car, the RX checks a lotta boxes.
I drive the GS most of the time.
Sue loves her trusty TSX.
But the Model 3 is a point and shoot car that puts a smile on your face like nothing else.
This car is the future.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Electric is the future, I agree.

Well, I'm not so sure. I've been studying the battery dilemma for some time now.

There is an age old engineering maxim that goes something like this: A valid idea is followed by plenty of money, however no sum of money produces valid ideas.

The lithium battery chemistry is well understood, as are all other forms of chemical batteries from Florine batteries to Aluminum batteries. We can only move so many ions, as there are only so many to move. Despite North of 3 BILLION dollars investment, the projections are: batteries with 20% more energy density in 10 years. I'm not a chemist, but I do understand the engineering behind electrochemical energy storage. There are some very finite theoretical limits. Those limits fall far short of the energy density of fuels.

Furthermore, a best case scenario of a fuel burning power plant running an EV, still puts the EV at a distinct energy consumption disadvantage when compared to a Hybrid. A combined cycle power plant can be over 60% efficient, but the BEST we can do at the plant's fence is 54%. (Remember that Hybrids now have a 41% efficient powerplant and no more than 10% powertrain loss) Grid losses are 8%. Grid outlet to charger to battery, from battery to controller, to motor to wheel efficiency is 58% to 61%. For a net EV efficiency, best case of 29%.

Put another way, the best case EV consumes about 20% more fuel than a comparable Hybrid.

The Prius is slow and the Tesla is not. However, "slowness" need not be the case with Hybrids. There are indeed some incredibly powerful Hybrids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back