Oil and Filter Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning,

Just purchased a 2019 Acura MDX base model with the 3.5 6 cyl SOHC 24 engine. This was a dealer loaner car with 5300 miles on it and just serviced at the dealer. Calls for a 0w-20 synthetic oil.

I know its early, but wanted to see opinions on a good oil and oil filter recommendations you folks may have. Doesn't look a bad job to do.

Thanks

Just about any name or store brand 0w20 is going to perform just about the same in that application. I'd probably use Mobil1 AFE, PP or QSUD because they are easiest to find here.

OEM filter from Acura/Honda for sure. I'd check and see what oil the dealer stocks. They have 2 types of synthetic here in VA. (Three total types with one being a blend)

I was told by Parts Mgr last week that I could get some real deals now as they are going back to Mobil (from Conoco) and they are trying to get rid of old stock.

Almost any 0w-20 is gonna be a great oil. If you don't like dealer pricing, just draw one out of a hat.

In Georgia you could just as easily use 5W-20 or even 5W-30 with no problems.
I'd say the engine is broken in enough so you could use those other options if you wished.

The difference with Filtech filters, IIRC, is that A1 is Japan made, while the A2 is US made.

My 2¢

Other than a failure, The oil filter choice will be inconsequential. Buy oem.

M1 meeting weight/spec/approval and a Honda/Acura filter. Easy.

Originally Posted by Oily_Thing
Fram Ultra filter

This, or any spun microglass filter with good valving. Fram Ultra, Amsoil ea, Eix XP, or Royal Purple are all built well. If you don't believe me, cut open your own filters as I do. When paper filters go through 3 mos of heat cycles the binders and stiffer then cardboard and no filtering is going on. I've cut open spun microglass RP filters at 12, 14, and 24 months and they were still like brand new, soft and pliable and filtering better then ever. For oil depends on planned oci and do you value deals over the best possible quality etc. If you plan on a 5k mile interval, likely wont matter any good synthetic, and you can likely run the spun microglass for two oci's at 5k miles. If you are planning on 10k interval, I'd look into higher tbn high additive synthetic oils.

I would use an oil like Pennzoil Platinum or Mobil1. I probably would purchase an OEM filter or two to establish a connection with the service dept. After a couple of oil changes I'd go with a FRAM Ultra or other high quality filter if you don't like the OEM. Ed

Originally Posted by Rat407
Walmart Super Tech 0w-20 and OEM filter.

Yea, my choice too.
But, choose an API SN+ and/or Dex 1 Gen 2 0w-20. Brand doesn't matter.

OEM filters BLOW, poor quality and they charge extra for it. Unless you do something like as an example go to a srt filter that is built well, most OEM pure garbage.

Originally Posted by burla
OEM filters BLOW, poor quality and they charge extra for it. Unless you do something like as an example go to a srt filter that is built well, most OEM pure garbage.

Really? Wish I would have known that for the last 50 years.

Originally Posted by dubber09
Apparently there is a difference between Acura A1 and A2 filters where A2 are later but worse.
I use Bosch 3323 Premium on my daughter's CSX.

The Honda A01 oil filter, part number 15400-PLM-A01 is no longer manufactured. About 8 months ago I was able to find a vendor on EBay that had some and I purchased 6 of them. They are actually manufactured by Filtech in the United States. There is a Honda dealer here in Ohio who still has some of the A01 filters on his website last time I checked, but they were around $10.00 plus shipping. When my supply of these is gone, I will use the Fram Ultra.

I don't think Acura even has their own brand of oil filters, just the Honda brand. The oil filter on an Acura website is the same OEM part number as the Honda filter. The A02 Honda filter 15400-PLM-A02 is also the Acura filter and is made by Honeywell in the United States.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
Originally Posted by burla
Really? Wish I would have known that for the last 50 years.

Or how I got the miles I have on all my vehicles with mostly all OEM filters.

The stuff people post and then expect us to believe them in other threads.

Originally Posted by Ignatius
Rotella Gas Truck 0w20, now with $10 rebate.

Fram Ultra Synthetic oil filter.

I vote for ⬆ï¸

GoVols ðŸŠðŸŠðŸŠ

Fram Ultra Synthetic oil filter, PP 0W20, use it in my 2017 MDX Hybrid, no oil usage in 10,000 mile changes, which come at 10% left on oil life monitor, oil analysis shows even more life left with TBN still 2.4, Honda V6 engines are pretty bulletproof, the one in my Accord has 220,000 miles and no oil use between 10K changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back