Name a good alcohol wine/beverage for a beginner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP,

first , If you don't go regularly to winery/tasting events, at least don't go to Wlamart/Target/Jewel.

Go to a dedicated drinks store, and try the sweet/semi-sweet (pink or white) wines.
have a nice meal with it and 1-2 glasses should be enough to enjoy it.

For emergency long party where you don't want to end up under the table like everybody else there is the white wine + sprite (or mountain dew).

Any dessert wine, or wine coolers. Eiswein (made from raisins) is super sweet. You might also like Shandys (beer+lemonade) or sweet ciders. Belgian fruit beers are pretty sweet too.

Years ago when I drove a booze truck making local deliveries, white zinfandel was easily the best seller. Can't remember the brand name. It was either Beringer or Sutter Home.

Icewine or Ice Wine is a dessert wine that I enjoy in very small quantities. Some of the better brands such as Iniskillin are rather expensive, but really tasty!

I also like a good port wine in very small quantities. Like one ounce.

Moscato is very sweet....so danez_yoda's suggestion is a good one.

For a sweeter cider, try Woodchuck.

There are also some pretty sweet meads out there...basically honey wine. Chilled and on the rocks = delicious, once you find the one you like.

Originally Posted by CT8
I hate how the alcohol makes me feel .

Drinking requires lots of water to offset the headache

My non-beer go-tos were weird.

"Chocolate Russians" as I called them... Kahlua, Vodka, half&half. But I twisted it by adding Hershey's chocolate syrup. I converted even the most stubborn taste buds with that one. Basically adult chocolate milk.

"K.C. Tea" was the other... 1-2 shots Hennessy (sometimes substituted for E&J VSOP when I wanted to be cheap), a can of Sprite, and a 1/4 of a real lemon (I preferred to squeeze then drop it in). Must be drank from "a real big wine glass."

Always hated wine. Every single type...
37.gif

Pina Colada's, Mojito's, Daiquiri's or Coquito are fine ways to get blended without tasting it. Mead is excellent for those that don't like the bitterness of most alcohol. Try some very good craft ones made in Vermont, Oregon, Washington and Colorado (and I'm sure other places too). Make good choices.

Late harvest wines. Zinfandel and Chardonnay are two I've tried that can be spectacular.
I normally don't care for sweet or white wines, but had a late harvest Chardonnay that knocked my socks off. The complexity was incredible. Same with a late harvest Zinfandel.
They are hard to find, and are usually the winemakers vanity project. Quite frequently they are available only in limited quantities directly from the winery. Takes some research, then sampling to see if it is to your taste. If so, get a bunch - the good thing is the very high alcohol content makes them stable and perfect storage conditions aren't required.

Natural you say?
How about some apple pie it is moonshine blended with unsweetened apple juice and a stick of cinnamon is left to steep in it for a week.

Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL
I prefer sweet wines and the more natural the better.

Tried:
Kendall Jackson Reserve Red Melot: Dry dry gag gag

Anry Orchard hard cider original: I can only drink half a bottle, not sweet enough.

Beringer Pink Moscato Main & Vine: the only alcoholic beverage I enjoy without gagging

Manischewitz Blackberry: I like it, but it is loaded with artificial flavors, I want something more natural

I do not drink beer.

Vern: You wanna sweet ( and natural ) white? Try a variety called gewurtztraminer. Spicy, great to drink by itself, and will stand up to strong flavors in your food. Chateau St. Michelle from Washington state brews a good one, and it won't break the bank. Don't sweat the trolls on here, most have no life and have nothing to do but break 'em all day. Also, most rieslings from Germany are on the sweet side. They should be crisp and not syrupy. Heads up here: avoid Malbec, most are from Argentina and they really suck. People who think they can snooker you will tell you they're great wines, but I've tried a bunch of them, and I can't fine one that tastes good. Like in that last 6 years? Yuck.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back