Charging for parking

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's you take on this at events and places. Oddly I like paying a nominal fee when limited so people don't waste the spaces if limited riding in car by yourself or don't hog them if hourly.

I watched a group of three people each in car waste the 3 of 10 spaces at a mountain bike area. They knew each other.

Examples include ski resorts, towns street parking and events. Many offer further free lots with shuttle if you want that too.

Depends... $30 to park at Six Flags Great America? Rip off! Paying for the privilege of parking closer/in a parking garage, or valet parking? Sounds good to me.

Can't make sense of it but I've always lived in middle America where there's ample space for events and not enough population density.

I quit going to the Crossroads Of The West Gun Show at the Phoenix Fairgrounds when the parking got up to $8.00. (It may be more now, I don't know because I haven't been there in a few years). I don't mind paying a couple of bucks. But I won't subsidize an obvious cash cow. They've got you by the short one's, because parking on the street is very limited, and fills up fast. Unless you want to walk a 1/2 mile through a lousy neighborhood.

The admission tickets alone are $16.00. So you're up to $24.00 just to walk through the door. ($40.00 for the wife and I). If the show was good I might consider it. But 80% or more of what they've got is overpriced crap, that I can buy on line for half or less of what they charge. Most of which isn't even gun related. (If I want a smelly puppy dog I'll go to a animal shelter, not a gun show).

Parking at many events used to cost just enough to help pay the staff who managed it. Which is perfectly acceptable. Now it's to help line someone's pockets. Strictly because they know they can get away with it.

Originally Posted by madRiver
What's you take on this at events and places. Oddly I like paying a nominal fee when limited so people don't waste the spaces if limited riding in car by yourself or don't hog them if hourly.

I watched a group of three people each in car waste the 3 of 10 spaces at a mountain bike area. They knew each other.

Examples include ski resorts, towns street parking and events. Many offer further free lots with shuttle if you want that too.

Convenience or just regular old habit.

Why more people are not using public transport or are favorable to public transport, including maintain what is in place already?

While reading this a $30 parking fee was just announced for the "American Dream" attraction (near the Jets/Giants Stadium).

All you can do is vote with your feet or CLOSED WALLET.

Ask me how I feel about wildly varying service charges on event tickets.......events I don't attend.

EXAMPLE:
Comedian Steven Wright cost $48 at a theatre in Englewood, NJ. I bought the tickets at the box office.
The next week he played Albany and comparable tickets (good ones) were $156.
Added to that was a $30 PER TICKET fee.
Added to that was a single $26 "internet convenience fee".

End of the World, no. All but curtail any entertainment spending on my part, definitely.

If I need to pay to park to an event that I've had to pay for a ticket to enter, there's way too many people in the area/at the event for me.

I've also found that with these types of events, less than 50% of the attendees actually pay attention to a live event (if there is one).

I'm not sure that I've ever paid to park a vehicle, and I'm fairly certain that I never would. I've never been much on going to large crowd gatherings, and the few that are around here don't charge for parking (there's always plenty of open space). Even our local civic center has ample free parking when there is an event.

Originally Posted by pandus13
Why more people are not using public transport or are favorable to public transport, including maintain what is in place already?

Public transportation? Like the filthy city buses in big cities? No thanks.

Two things re "Like the filthy city buses in big cities? No thanks.":

1) They're cleaner than the 10 to 50 cars one of them replaces.
2) It's OK. Your busses would be clean.

It depends. We as a family will go down to Boston once or twice a year, see one of the museums, and sometimes parking is part of the admission price to the museum. But we'd be ok with paying to park in the garage, just part of the trip. Which is not that often.

For a couple of years my daughter was taking a class down in NYC and we found it easier to park 45 minutes away and take the train down. I don't think we did a cost analysis but it was way easier than getting to and then parking in the city. We have nothing against riding the train or subway; can't remember the last time I was on a bus though.

But in general, we don't go to places we have to pay to be at. Too much money, and we're plenty busy as it is. But when we go, if it was $5 or less, we'd just pay, assume it part of the cost of going to whatever it was.

It's part of the daily life if you're willing to drive into the city. All the parking lots and garages in the downtown area here are paid (expensive!) as well as most of the street parking. But here it's needed since downtown Chicago is so busy and the public transport system here is actually really good. Lots of bus and train stops, the "L" runs so much, it's only 6 minutes in-between trains.

My parking issues are with Ann Arbor. On football Saturdays I'll park about 3/4 mile away in the neighborhoods to avoid the $10 - $20 parking fee, unless I have others in the car with me. My friends rib me on this, but I tell them I've got two good legs and I'm saving my money for the day when I don't have two good legs. Ann Arbor Art Fair parking is another issue. I'll put bicycles in the trunk and park a mile away. Bicycles are also better than walking around the Art Fairs.

Paying for parking is more honest than demanding government provide free parking.

We can argue over if those who are building the parking garages are charging a fair amount, but you the consumer usually have the choice to pay it or make other travel arrangements.

If you don't like the $30 at Six Flags, take the bus, or get dropped off by Uber if it's cheaper. Or better yet, don't go to Six Flags.

As long as people pay it, they will continue to charge it.

Personally, I chose to live in the suburbs because shops have their own parking. I really don't like going into the city and the hassle of finding a parking spot. I do have a monthly spot in a local garage for my on-site requirements at a local customer. It doubles as my parking spot for baseball and hockey games.

My complaint is more about the hassle of finding a spot in dense areas than it is having to pay. But then I seldom go to places where it's a $30/day clip joint arrangement these days.

Originally Posted by madRiver

When I made more frequent trips to Chicago, I'd stay out by the airport and take the L into the city. I live close enough to drive to Chicago from STL, so no flights. Just hop on the L and take it the former Sun training center I was visiting.

But more often, I'd either give or take classes in the Itasca facility to avoid the city all together.

(However, I would like to have some Portillos (or similar places) in downstate IL.

Originally Posted by Pew
It's part of the daily life if you're willing to drive into the city. All the parking lots and garages in the downtown area here are paid (expensive!) as well as most of the street parking. But here it's needed since downtown Chicago is so busy and the public transport system here is actually really good. Lots of bus and train stops, the "L" runs so much, it's only 6 minutes in-between trains.

I still don't much care for the fact that I have to pay my employer a pretty big chunk of my salary every year just to be able to drive to work-especially given that I live far enough out in the county that taking a bus isn't a realistic option.

The amount paid is even more frustrating in light of the fact that they move parking further and further out every few years.

Six Flags, Universal Studios, Epcot, Sea World, Disneyland, along with the rest of the major theme parks in the country, attract families that have designed their yearly vacations around attending them. Many have flown in. Or else drove over 1,000 miles to get there, spending like drunken sailors all the way.

Gas, motels, restaurants, etc. Not to mention all the tourist traps they pass along the way. Monkey Jungle, Uncle Joe's Alligator Farm, (home of the 3 headed snake), and all the rest. Think Clark Griswold in the movie, "Vacation".

It's not like the family was sitting around eating cereal on Saturday morning, and the old man say's, "Hey kids, want to go to the zoo today?" So these places know they can fleece people on things like parking, food and drinks, high admission prices, and they'll pay it. Because it's a, "once in a lifetime thing, the kids will always remember". It's not as if they're going to show up and say, "This is too expensive, we're not going".

A lot of these vacation packages are paid for in advance. Especially if the family is staying in one of the many resort hotels on the grounds. The old man will hit one of the 26 different bars, and after 3 or 4 Martini's he'll forget all about how his wallet was vacuumed clean.

It's all about location. You guys seem to live in the middle of nowhere. Most places around here charge for parking. Only way around it is to find street parking and you even have to pay the meters. It's normal if your'e in the city. Incomes in the city are also higher than the middle of nowhere so it's just the cost of living in the city. Buying a place that has parking usually costs anywhere from 20-50k in the city, there are some prime locations where they go up to 100k.

It's real esate, highest and best use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back