Best gun oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by brianm_14
... As civilians, we can afford to be burdened by and use several products. I would certsinly trust the Brownells oil to be a fine lubricant."

... I agree with what Beretta says in more than one of their instruction booklets, that more harm is usually done by cleaning a firearm, than by shooting it.

Agreed re first point. I have a bunch of options at home on the bench or in the utility closet. What's funny: Plenty of times post hunting or shooting, I've cleaned up a gun in a garage or a hunt-club trailer or on the tailgate of a pickup with nothing but a bit of oil or CLP and could have walked right back outside and carried on. We overthink it and over-worry it, IMO.

Re Beretta's booklets ... meh. At what they charge for their guns, you'd certainly think they can take a routine cleaning. (And they do. I've had a bunch, liked almost all and still have two in my safe.)
But I also know not all manufacturers' manuals are created equal. Browning, for instance, recommends its gun oil, and among major-maker over/under shotguns, no one's galls easier than Browning's if the knuckles and such aren't well-lubed. IMO, grease is a better option, especially in competition shotguns.

Originally Posted by jk_636
Mobil 1 Ow30. Good for engine, good for weapons and saves me a trip to the gun store which usually tend to be exponentially more expensive than my trips to the auto parts store.
wink.gif

For solvent it�s hard to beat plain old gun scrubber, ballistol or hoppes.

Would you use CLP in your engine?

A good test for optimal cross-platform suitability is reverse compatibility.

A good CLP would likely perform alright in an engine, but certainly would not be optimal. This is because it is not intended for, or optimized for it. Visa verse.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SteveG4
Being retired military and spending more than my time around weapons, from M4's to 20 kT W84 nukes, I would only use Break Free® CLP®.
It's simple and effective.
Don't ask me about the latter mentioned... if I told you, I'd have to kill you.
wink.gif

It also causes allergic reactions/wart like growths on cuts in the hands. Not really a BF CLP fan.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Mobil 1 Ow30. Good for engine, good for weapons and saves me a trip to the gun store which usually tend to be exponentially more expensive than my trips to the auto parts store.
wink.gif

A good CLP would likely perform alright in an engine, but certainly would not be optimal. This is because it is not intended for, or optimized for it. Visa verse.

Would you use CLP in YOUR engine? What's wrong with using M1 as a gun lubricant? Put all of that expensive FOO FOO juice into a qt. container and see how much you're really throwing away your money. $9.95 per oz? 32 oz. in a qt? Hmmmmmmm, $318.40 a qt? I think the math explains which is the better deal.
coffee2.gif

The best oil is like the best gun....It's the one you have in your hand when you need it. In a jungle far away I found jet engine oil made my M16 run real good.
YMMV
Smoky

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted by Ws6
wink.gif

Would you use CLP in YOUR engine? What's wrong with using M1 as a gun lubricant? Put all of that expensive FOO FOO juice into a qt. container and see how much you're really throwing away your money. $9.95 per oz? 32 oz. in a qt? Hmmmmmmm, $318.40 a qt? I think the math explains which is the better deal.
coffee2.gif

Mobil 1 isn't bad, per se, but it doesn't resist burning off as well, or clean up as fast, as something like SLIP2000 EWL. The ammo in just one magazine is worth more than a 5 years supply of SLIP2000 EWL, so what's your point?

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by Ws6
wink.gif

coffee2.gif

Mobil 1 isn't bad, per se, but it doesn't resist burning off as well, or clean up as fast, as something like SLIP2000 EWL. The ammo in just one magazine is worth more than a 5 years supply of SLIP2000 EWL, so what's your point?

Never mind.
smirk.gif

While at my cousins house last night I was watching his wife as she was cleaning her S&W 380 EZ gun. She was using Birchwood Casey Synthetic gun oil. I asked why she was using it, and she said it's what her dad used to use on his firearms when he was alive.
I put a drop on my thumb and rubbed it between it and my forefinger. It was actually very slippery. She said she bought it at PSA.
Opinions?
https://palmettostatearmory.com/synthetic-gun-oil-with-ptfe-lubricant-4-5oz.html

PB Blaster will loosen most anything I've found built up on the bore chamber or bolt face on my guns. Then a coat of atf with a few drops of 80W90 added for good measure. Cheap and effective. YMMV

While at my cousins house last night I was watching his wife as she was cleaning her S&W 380 EZ gun. She was using Birchwood Casey Synthetic gun oil. I asked why she was using it, and she said it's what her dad used to use on his firearms when he was alive.
I put a drop on my thumb and rubbed it between it and my forefinger. It was actually very slippery. She said she bought it at PSA.
Opinions?
https://palmettostatearmory.com/synthetic-gun-oil-with-ptfe-lubricant-4-5oz.html

That'll work.
Frankly, one can do a simple cleanup of almost any gun with nothing more than a decent light oil. Key is, remove most of it.
For all we obsess, most handguns, rifles and shotguns aren't terribly difficult to clean -- nor they need to be surgical-instrument clean -- and don't put that much demand on a lubricant.
Don't slosh your products on, remove nearly all, relube lightly ... odds are you're good to go.

Originally Posted by MGF1964
Opinions?

That'll work.
Frankly, one can do a simple cleanup of almost any gun with nothing more than a decent light oil. Key is, remove most of it.
For all we obsess, most handguns, rifles and shotguns aren't terribly difficult to clean -- nor they need to be surgical-instrument clean -- and don't put that much demand on a lubricant.
Don't slosh your products on, remove nearly all, relube lightly ... odds are you're good to go.

Depends on the weapon, too. AR/M4 types run best when sopping wet. Especially in sandy conditions, suppressed use, etc. Revolvers? Not so much.

Last edited:
True. Was thinking of more light-use arms (rec handguns, carry revolvers and semis, field and clay shotguns, etc).
For sure, some truth there re the AR.
I do sometimes think "sopping wet" when applied to all settings and conditions is taken too far by some cats 'cause they saw it on a vid or whatever.
Knew one dude who used to run 'em so wet the thing would fling CLP onto your glasses. Between that condition and the lacquered steel-case ammo he was running, he was getting a lot of failures to feed. His rifle couldn't get through a mag w/o an issue.
I had possession of it one morning, ran it less wet and with Lake City 55 gr bulk ... ran like a top.

Last edited:
In the gun oil stable now :

1. Slip 2000 EWL
2. Weapon Shield
3. FP10
4. Super Lube
5. M-Pro 7
6. Break Free CLP
7. Ballistol
8. Frog Lube
9. Brownells Friction Defense
10. Rem-Oil
11. Home Brew (M1 20W50 V-Twin Synthetic / Dexron V! mix)

*I like the Ballistol for cleaning only , Frog Lube too labor intensive for the prep / gums up firearms in storage , Rem-Oil only for recoil spring assemblies only.

*Too bad , Friction Defense was a decent gun oil ...Next to try is the newer Lucas extreme duty (or what ever they call their newer gun oil to differentiate it from their standard gun oil) .
Originally Posted by jrod102
BROWNELLS - FRICTION DEFENSE® XTREME GUN OIL has been discontinued.

*Now adding Lucas Extreme Gun Oil to the mix - this stuff stays put , resists burn off , cleans up fast , low cost and does not evaporate with long term storage on gun .
Originally Posted by ChrisD46

1. Slip 2000 EWL
2. Weapon Shield
3. FP10
4. Super Lube
5. M-Pro 7
6. Break Free CLP
7. Ballistol
8. Frog Lube
10. Rem-Oil

*I like the Ballistol for cleaning only , Frog Lube too labor intensive for the prep / gums up firearms in storage , Rem-Oil only for recoil spring assemblies only.

I will add that Lucas Extreme Gun Oil can be found at O' Reilly Auto Parts Stores at the front counter for approx. $5.00 per bottle .

*Now adding Lucas Extreme Gun Oil to the mix - this stuff stays put , resists burn off , cleans up fast , low cost and does not evaporate with long term storage on gun .

1. Slip 2000 EWL
2. Weapon Shield
3. FP10
4. Super Lube
5. M-Pro 7
6. Break Free CLP
7. Ballistol
8. Frog Lube
10. Rem-Oil

Lucas is good. I spoke with Bruce Gray and Frank Proctor both about it a while back. Mr. Gray noted less parts breakage on the team SIG guns than prior years. Mr. Proctor noted longer function between cleaning or adding lube on m4 types. I personally prefer slip 2000 ewl. I shoot suppressed mostly, and the slip product tends to "liquify" carbon and the gun gets gritty a lot slower with it. I also find it cleans up faster and easier. WeaponShield was the worst offender in the "gets gritty fast" category for me, but it smells amazing. Mr. Fennel is an friend and has been for over a decade, so it hurts me not to use his products for all things. Fireclean glued my rifle up, and they went full potato legally, so...no thanks. Mpro7 is excellent. I consider it more conventional. Nothing special, just a good evolution of clp. Froglube has the same issues as Fireclean, minus litigation. Super Lube contains ptfe, no thanks. Break free clp causes skin conditions, and does nothing really well except rust prevention, which it is pretty baller at. Rem oil is horrible unless you're spraying it into door locks. I have not tried the others on your list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back