2015+ F150 SuperCab Rear Seat Room

I borrowed a buddy's truck for the next two weeks and was elated when I realized that the truck will fit inside of my new garage. This means I can consider a pick-up for my next vehicle.

His truck is a 2000 Tundra Access Cab 4X4 with the standard 6' bed. I think the Tundra's from that era are about 222" (they only publish the length w/o the rear bumper) and I still have 6-12" to spare.

Since I want a 6' bed, I can only consider 1/2 ton trucks that are of the "supercab" design. A crew cab with the 6' bed is not going to fit in my garage.

For those of you who own a current-gen F150 with the SuperCab, can you comment on the rear seat room? Is it comfortable for an average-sized 5'10" adult? Is it possible to have two child seats in the back seat?

Thanks in advance.

I will have my BIL measure his. It is a Double Cab 2019 F150 with the longer bed.
That 3.5L EcoBoost and 10 speed trans is a power house... I like the 2.7L, myself.
Just for your reference...

20'2" overall length; 77" height
This is the double cab (Super Cab?) and 6.5' bed. There is also a 5.5' and 8.5' bed.
The back seat is caverness(?). Mark is 5'11"; his son Brandon is over 6'. Plenty of room even with the front seat all the way back.
I rode in the back; you sit high with excellent view and comfort.

Oh yeah, with to 2020s coming out, you can steal one of these right now.

2019 F150.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a 2015 F 150 super cab with the 5.5 ft bed and the back seat is very roomy. Stop by a dealer and have a look at the room.

Originally Posted by CT8
Stop by a dealer and have a look at the room.

That's what my BIL said. Sage advice.
Bring your checkbook just in case you take her for a spin...

I know you said you want a 6 foot bed. But as an owner of many pickup trucks, I must admit the 5.5 foot bed on the SuperCrew is just fine. I've never had a need for the additional 1/2 foot.

8 foot plywood requires the tailgate to be down in either bed, no matter what. As do dirt bikes and larger ATV's.

I had a '01 Tundra and a '98 Ram.Both with suicide doors for the back seat. Got to the point of hating them and really liking four real doors.
Kids, grocery shopping,parking in tight lots.

SuperCab / Extended Cab is no good with child seats if you want front seat legroom.

Experiencing this now with 1st gen Tundra access cab. New Ford and Chevy extended cabs are not really roomier in the back, so Crew Cab is coming up soon.

Originally Posted by Cujet
I know you said you want a 6 foot bed. But as an owner of many pickup trucks, I must admit the 5.5 foot bed on the SuperCrew is just fine.

The 2.7L EcoBoost and 5.5' bed Super Cab punches the ticket, at least for me.
I'd run it 'till the hubcaps fall off.

Last edited:
Save yourself the hassle, and get a crew cab. Over time the small rear cab is going to become a nuisance and you're going to want to trade it in for a crew cab.

Originally Posted by Cujet
I know you said you want a 6 foot bed. But as an owner of many pickup trucks, I must admit the 5.5 foot bed on the SuperCrew is just fine. I've never had a need for the additional 1/2 foot.

8 foot plywood requires the tailgate to be down in either bed, no matter what. As do dirt bikes and larger ATV's.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
I will have my BIL measure his. It is a Double Cab 2019 F150 with the longer bed.
That 3.5L EcoBoost and 10 speed trans is a power house... I like the 2.7L, myself.
Just for your reference...

20'2" overall length; 77" height
This is the double cab (Super Cab?) and 6.5' bed. There is also a 5.5' and 8.5' bed.
The back seat is caverness(?). Mark is 5'11"; his son Brandon is over 6'. Plenty of room even with the front seat all the way back.
I rode in the back; you sit high with excellent view and comfort.

Oh yeah, with to 2020s coming out, you can steal one of these right now.

Thank you and I appreciate the feedback. 20' 2" is not going to fit in my garage - I think 230" is my absolute limit.

For me, I am after the most carrying capacity available that will still fit into my garage.

Originally Posted by The Critic

Thank you and I appreciate the feedback. 20' 2" is not going to fit in my garage - I think 230" is my absolute limit.

For me, I am after the most carrying capacity available that will still fit into my garage.

The F150 SuperCrew with 5.5 foot bed fits in my 19 foot garage. It's 231.9 inches long. Comes close to the garage door, but I changed a door reinforcement to clear the bumper and it's fine.

You may want to park one in there and see if it fits.

Originally Posted by The Critic

Michael, Sue suggested getting a new garage... Just sayin'.

A super crew with a 5.5 bed is the same length as a supercab with a 6.5 bed. (In ford speak, a super crew is the full 4 doors, and a supercab is 2 doors with the short doors that open the opposite way in the rear ).

We buy all supercabs at our work. When we go longer than a 1/2 hour somewhere with more than two people, we take two trucks. Draw what conclusions you want from that. They are better than older trucks, but that's not saying much.

The supercrews are very roomy though. That's what I own for my personal truck.

Last edited:
Just curious to why it has to be an F150?

I've got no personal preference. Just wondering.

I do know the quad cab rear seating in my 2017 Ram 1500 would not be comfy for any road trip, but crew cabs are like being in the rear seat of a big 'ol Buick.

Last edited:
We have a 2007 Ram crew cab with 6.5 bed. We have taken the family on trips of over 1000 miles with zero complaints about room. Two in the front at 6.0 feet and one 6.0 in the rear with a 5'7" too. Have the Laramie with the pedal adjust option. Also tows 5th wheel with an Anderson hitch.

I have the supercab with the 6.5 bed. This bed is longer than the 6 bed with my previous tundra with a full backseat. I found the 6 bed inadequate as soon as the toolbox was installed, and then changed to a cap which helped, but then I lost the open bed which desirable at other times. In all practicality, the supercab has been excellent.

with the kids grown, I moved to the supercab f150. when I’ve needed the full size bed, such as longer camping trips, driving the riding mower about town, etc., I’ve been thrilled to have it. I’m not ferrying kids around to school and games any longer.

while I’ve had adults in the back seat of the supercab, I personally do not like the seating. I would rather ride in the back of a friends civic than put a grown adult in the back of my truck. that said, people have asked me to drive with willingness to sit in the back, so it does happen around town for a lunch or a meeting. if I were to think back, I had the riding mower in the bed of the truck at least 12 times last year, and adults in the back seat maybe 3 times, or possibly 4.

ive asked my wife a few times if getting the shorter cab was a mistake and she’s been firmly, no. she’s seen the truck used more for truck things than hauling people. In the end, she suggested i pick up a used sedan for the days I need seating and just don’t want to drive a 5000lb vehicle to Publix. That’s worked out pretty well, but I still wonder if I should have gotten the crew.

outside of pondering cab size, one thing I think I missed the mark on was my choice in camper shell. I did go with standard height shell as it seriously helps moving kids in and out of college, especially with overnight stays, and toting more expensive items like the generator and any other power tool around town. Yes, I can fit the ZTR under the shell, if the handles are pulled forward. However, I really wish I’d gotten the taller shell for easier access, and let’s be honest, tall shells look out of place on a short-bed truck.

it’s a hard call... but for my uses we bought it for having a bed. If my kids were still young and I needed a truck, a crew cab would have been possible.

Just curious to why it has to be an F150?

I've got no personal preference. Just wondering.

I do know the quad cab rear seating in my 2017 Ram 1500 would not be comfy for any road trip, but crew cabs are like being in the rear seat of a big 'ol Buick.
Can confirm. I’m ~6’3” and can fit behind my seat in the back comfortably in my Ram 1500. The quad cab is noticeably tighter and I don’t think I’d fit.

My fiance has a 2017 Supercrew with the 5.5 ft bed and the back seat area is huge. Her 300 lb dad has sat back there on a four hour trip there and then four hour trip back with no issues.

Back