How Does Toyota Do It?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by jeepman3071
I wouldn't own a Prius just because I find them boring to drive, but I don't think everyone who drives one is a treehugging looney. Just like not every pickup truck driver is a raging redneck. Obviously there are plenty of people who fit both of those stereotypes. A coworker drives a Prius as his daily driver. He owns several vehicles, but he says the Prius has paid for itself. My company pays mileage for travel to different sites, and as a network engineer he travels all over New England. With the Prius he actually makes money off his mileage reimbursements. With his truck he barely breaks even.

Well said.

Toyota does it mainly by keeping a generation or two back on technical development and letting others lead the way while discovering the pitfalls and solutions.
Within a few years Toyota will likely abandon its Rube Goldberg hybrid setup and follow Honda's lead, just as an example.
Toyota engineering has always been very conservative and developing what has been shown to work will always bring a reliable vehicle.
If one wanted a new noun for unengaging to drive it could be Toyota.
OTOH, most drivers just wanna gas it up and go. They have no interest in driving dynamics or technical development.
Hence the success of Toyota. Their cars may do nothing really well, but they do start and drive reliably every day in all sorts or weather with minimal maintenance or repair, exactly what most folks want.

Originally Posted by fdcg27
Toyota does it mainly by keeping a generation or two back on technical development and letting others lead the way while discovering the pitfalls and solutions.
Within a few years Toyota will likely abandon its Rube Goldberg hybrid setup and follow Honda's lead, just as an example.
Toyota engineering has always been very conservative and developing what has been shown to work will always bring a reliable vehicle.
If one wanted a new noun for unengaging to drive it could be Toyota.
OTOH, most drivers just wanna gas it up and go. They have no interest in driving dynamics or technical development.
Hence the success of Toyota. Their cars may do nothing really well, but they do start and drive reliably every day in all sorts or weather with minimal maintenance or repair, exactly what most folks want.

01.gif

I am not so sure Toyota is not interested in technological development.
They pretty much pioneered hybrid cars; they make the best hybrids.
They make hydrogen cars.

And their legendary reliability speaks for itself.
Reliability is based on sound technology.

I agree our GS350 F Sport's drivetrain is nothing new; in fact it is long in the tooth.
But it is rock solid.

Just my 2 cents.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
They make hydrogen cars.

I agree our GS350 F Sport's drivetrain is nothing new; in fact it is long in the tooth.
But it is rock solid.

Just my 2 cents.

Their complex engines (available in Europe) have mediocre reliability at best. They arguably made least reliable diesel engine on market in the middle of diesel hype (2.2 ltr diesel). That is why they are buying diesels from BMW now.
I own Land Cruiser Prado 3.0 D-4D in Europe, and compared to my BMW X5 diesel, it is barrel without bottom when it comes to cost.
If they brought that technology here, various turbo engines etc. things would be different. But when you slling cars on the maret where gallon of gas s $6-8, things are different.

They make hydrogen cars.

But it is rock solid.

Well said my friend, well said.
thumbsup2.gif

At the gym the other day I saw a Lexus LS F Sport. It was the previous gen. I'd prob still take the GS F Sport since the LS is so big.

they make the best hybrids.

I beg to differ with that.
My Accord is both faster and more economical than the hybrid Camry.
Hondas are also at least as well known for reliability as Toyota products and I write this having owned ten Hondas over the past forty three years.

Hondas are also at least as well known for reliability as Toyota products and I write this having owned ten Hondas over the past forty three years.

I love Hondas.
In fact, I just bought a CR-V over the RAV4 Hybrid a month ago.

Look at Prius; been a top seller for so many years; Toyota has the experience.
I'm glad you like your Accord.
I love Accords; I just recommended my nephew get an Accord Sport; he loves it.

Lots of misinformation in this thread. Nevertheless, we need people to buy other products to keep a balance. The free market is a good thing.

As far as a Toyota diesel I had one I purchased back in 1985. It was the turbo model with the 2lt motor in it. I loved that truck for the 18 years that I had it. When I purchased my 2003 Tacoma didn't have the time for it so I sold it to a gentleman in Louisiana. That vehicle is now at a farm running off biodiesel.

We keep our vehicles until they are no longer providing what they are expected to do, start up and get us from point A to B reliably. They also need to be fun to drive and look good.

Originally Posted by Amkeer
Lots of misinformation in this thread. Nevertheless, we need people to buy other products to keep a balance. The free market is a good thing.

As far as a Toyota diesel I had one I purchased back in 1985. It was the turbo model with the 2lt motor in it. I loved that truck for the 18 years that I had it. When I purchased my 2003 Tacoma didn't have the time for it so I sold it to a gentleman in Louisiana. That vehicle is now at a farm running off biodiesel.

We keep our vehicles until they are no longer providing what they are expected to do, start up and get us from point A to B reliably. They also need to be fun to drive and look good.

Again, 2.2ltr Toyota D4-D engine has hard time making 60k without pistons disintegrating, let alone 18 years.

Toyotas and Hondas used to be throw away cars.
Then they got better; I think Hondas were first with the CVCC (now Civic).

The rest is history.
What I don't get is, we put a man on the moon in 1969.
Why can't we build great cars? Just sayin'...

When have Toyotas and Hondas ever "throwaway" cars?

This has never ever been the case, not since the 1970s through today.

It's no wonder that these makes have sustained the lead in quality overall domestics since the 1970s.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by Amkeer

Again, 2.2ltr Toyota D4-D engine has hard time making 60k without pistons disintegrating, let alone 18 years.

Your example is the exception and not the rule. Overall no other carmaker matches or exceeds Toyota and Honda quality.

This thread has gone sideways.

The original question was: How does Toyota mitigate the stresses of their hybrids (their gas engines) stopping and starting hundreds of times a trip without any longevity issues for the gas engine? Does anyone know the tech used by Toyota and other hybrid carmakers to protect their engines from constant starting and stopping?

I've owned both brands, and perceive them as the same quality-wise with few exceptions.

However, for hybrid technology, Toyota owns that part of the car business. Until very, very recently, Honda Hybrid tech was sub-par, not in quality but in performance (MPG sipping).

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Toyota: the Apple of vehicles. Innovative? Nope. Exciting? Not really. Proven, dead nuts reliability that just works? You bet.

It seems you've not driven a Toyota in in a while?

The Prius now has 4-wheel independent suspension and disc brakes all around. Its new revised chassis is rigged as many sportscars. It is not a fast car, but no one can say it does not handle well, or is boring.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
You probably think my wife and I are fools for buying a new Audi and a VW I bet.

You're Fools? No, not at all.

You're Climate change deniers? Perhaps.

You're Driven for the best quality products? Nope.

Originally Posted by lovcom
You probably think my wife and I are fools for buying a new Audi and a VW I bet.

Climate change denier? You do realize that the climate has been changing before man has walked this Earth right? This world started from nothing and will end to become nothing.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
Originally Posted by lovcom

Climate change denier? You do realize that the climate has been changing before man has walked this Earth right? This world started from nothing and will end to become nothing.

You oversimplify. Yes, the climate has always been changing, agreed. But the climate is ABRUPTLY changing....its the ABRUPTLY part. From the industrial age to current times, the changes are off the charts. I would suggest you read the scientific data and like 99% of all scientists (of all political parties, and of all faiths) you too will see its not a scam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back