Thoughts on a 2006 Nissan Altima purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't resist the temptation to buy cheap cars when I see them. This one is a 2006 Nissan Altima . 2.5 l. Automatic. 170k. Guy wants $1,200 for it. Looks halfway decent in the pictures. But that price is suspiciously cheap. Only thing he mentioned is it's losing power steering fluid . Any major problems in this generation Altima I should be looking out for?

The power steering rack on those is a bear of a job and a $1000+ part. The auto transmissions were kinda weak and also hella expensive and they tend to shed head gaskets near 200k miles. Other then that.

I'm guessing Nissan corrected the 4 cylinder by 2007? Earlier 2.5L Altimas often had a bad issue with oil consumption. The cat would break apart and get sucked back into the engine scoring up the cylinder walls which would cause oil consumption. Another vehicle that fell victim to this was the last generation Toyota MR2 Spyder.

Bummer. The 3.5 L v6 Maxima in my signature has horrible oil consumption problems. I was hoping the 4-cylinder 2.5 didn't have that problem

Honestly if you want a Nissan, the first Gen Rouge (built in Japan), pre 02 Altima or Sentra (again built in Japan), or a second gen G35 or early 37 (guess where they were built) especially one that's had the inner timing cover gasket and water pump done, they have their quirks but overall were better built then the Altima/Maxima of that generation.

Yes BUT then the main transmission for the car is a CVT, one which was notorious for internal chain failures, kinda a rock or a hard place. I'd avoid most of the 04-10 Nissan economy cars unless you can find one with a manual trans, which is like 3% or less of them in the US. Even if one could I'd still rather have an Accord or Camry, there's a lot less stupid and expensive problems known to crop up before 200k. Nissan's that were neglected tend to turn into basket cases, and while one can justify Nissan's overpriced parts and severe maintenance with high end fluids and wear parts on a 370z or GTR, it's not worth it on their economy cars.

If it's like my brother's ‘02 Altima 2.5, I wouldn't buy it-his lost both floor pans to rust, it did eventually have the exhaust manifold catalytic converter disintegration/dust in cylinders problem, burned oil like a freight train. Almost made it to 200K, his son (my nephew) totaled it! No real loss.

You guys are right I'm crazy to own another Nissan after the problems I've had with this Maxima. But it was free. And if I can get this car close to free I might just do it again LOL. Going over now with $500 in my pocket

$500 for a car that runs and drives and shifts ok and has clear title (and assuming the floor pans and sub frames haven't fully rusted out of existence) isn't bad no matter what kind of car it is. Good luck.

This is the model that you can remove the headlamps without opening the hood? Nissan had a recall because people were stealing the headlamp assemblies, only Nissan could do this.

[Linked Image]

She's going to kill me when she sees this tomorrow morning LOL. He took $500. Has Fred Flintstone hole in the driver side floor pan. Which I can weld. The rest is good. Very minor rust. No coolant in the reservoir. Power steering low. Needs a quart of oil . Has a noise making muffler and blasting aftermarket stereo that pairs with the phone. I don't really care about that but hey why not. No remote, can't get in the trunk. Should be fun project car. I'm going to stay home tomorrow and play with it.

Looks like this side has already been repaired
[Linked Image]

And here's the driver side but everything around it is good.
[Linked Image]

Holy crap! How could anyone feel comfortable knowing the only thing separating your body from a piece of kicked up road debris is a floor mat and some sound insulation? One wrong hit of debris on the road and you end up dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back