What vehicle fluids do you keep in your vehicle just in case?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait are we talking the kind of umbrella you need for walking in the driving rain? Or the kind you'd need for taking a late night walk and driving a hippy chick named Raine?

none of liquids for the vehicle, just a bottle of water for myself

However, I do carry a knife, roll of paper, a sun glasses, a lighter, electric tape, flashlight, jumper cables, a hand tool set, pens, etc

Diesel 911 is good idea if you take a trip somewhere in a diesel in winter! Otherwise, couple quarts of oil,some 50/50 antifreeze (SCA treated in the F-450), little power steering fluid (partial qt.). The glories of an ancient truck!

I used to carry a tub full of spares for the 528e when on road trips to hang with other old bimmer heads. Lots went to other E 28s One Saturday PM in Old Salem NC hotel parking lot. drinking beer and rubber necking under flash lights for a team of guys replacing the head gasket on a 2002 T in the hotel pkg lot , About 4hrs.
grin2.gif

PS Camry tells me when its low on stuff and I fill it. They don't appear to use oil.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Nothing. Driving days over. Thank god. 5 miles round trip to a part time job. Don't miss the killer commute. Cars/tires last forever. Its too bad we can't retire when we're 21 and then go to work when we're 65. Much better use of time.

When I first got the BMW, I drove it to Niagara Falls about a month after buying it. I wasn't really sure of it's oil consumption rate yet so I threw an unopened quart of Castrol Edge 0w40 in the trunk. Well, turns out the car doesn't consume any measurable amount of oil over the OCI, and so the quart container is still back there in my bag of misc. things.

I keep a bottle of Power Service Diesel Kleen in the Touareg.

I haven't had a car that used enough oil to warrant keeping it handy in the car for years.

Originally Posted by ZZman
Extra gas? Oil? Antifreeze?.....etc.

For me I may occasionally keep some washer fluid in the trunk if I couldn't quite finish the jug.

Year round in a Rubbermaid tote in the trunk...
- jumper cables
- multi tool & nut driver set
- tire pressure gauge
- duct tape x 1 roll
- electrical tape x 1 roll
- self sealing silicone tape x 1 roll
- 12v air pump
- tire repair kit

In the winter i add..
- can of spray deicer with straw
- ice/snow scraper
- bottle of dollar store isopropyl alcohol

Other than that my roadside assistance program will bring me fluids (at my expense of course) to get me running or tow me to the nearest shop where I can make repairs/purchase fluids. If I happen to be going somewhere very rural where cell service can be spotty I pack along my two way radio. I'm sure there are places but I've yet to travel anywhere that my 2way can't pick up truck/law enforcement radio traffic.

Last edited:
My Caprice is rarely driven, and not very far, so nothing.
Caliber is still new enough that I don't worry about extra fluids.
OIdsmobile? Well, that is different. My commute was strictly highway, 105 miles a day. So I always carry a gallon of Antifreeze, qt of oil, qt of ATF. Washer fluid in the winter.

I don't carry any fluids day to day. On long road trips I will take a quart of oil with me. None of my cars burn oil at an appreciable rate, so even on a 1500mi. road trip, the oil usually doesn't get used. I just keep it there "just in case", so in the rare event I do have to top off, I'm not having to mix oils as the chances of some corner gas station carrying the oil in my sump is almost nil.

None. The exception is when I go for an off road trip in extremely remote parts of Southern Utah. Then I have thrown extra gas in. And plenty of extra drinking water for me and my wife.

I do throw a quart of oil in the back of the Outback when we go on an extended road trip. But not day to day.

I keep one quart of BMW TPT oil in both the 318ti and the Clubman; they both use a little oil.

Originally Posted by Donald
No one carries a gallon on MMO just in case?

Many moons ago when I was on the road alot I udsed it for power steering fluid, oil additive,and small amount in the transmission, 2002 Dodge van,,,note the van is still running..Since then its had an engine rebuild and is running well in Tennessee..

When I was a teenager and I drove older cars, I would carry my primary tool box with me, along with extra coolant and oil. None of these cars had power steering, lol. Now that I drive newer cars in good condition, cars that have proven themselves reliable and leak-free for many years, I don't carry anything but a rag for checking fluids if I get bored
laugh.gif
I do all my fluid checks and services at home where I keep the stashes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back