Battery Jumpstarter Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to purchase a battery jumpstarter to give as a gift.

I'm considering a Nocco or a Tacklife 1000A unit.
It would be for a V8 vehicle(s) or smaller.

Recommendations?

P.S. I know, get the CTEK maintainer I use and they won't need a jumpstarter, but that won't work in this instance.

Thanks

Noco GB40

Up to 6.0 gasser and 3.0 diesel IIRC.

Has a USB port and flashlight.

Last edited:
Don't get this one: https://www.amazon.ca/Upgraded-Starter-GOOLOO-18000mAh-Portable/dp/B06X9R8QSY

I bought it in the summer and it worked marvelously while I was driving someone else's car daily that had a battery that was toast. I dropped it a time or two, and the flashlight stopped working...whatever you never use that anyway. Went to use it recently and the LED power indicator does not turn off anymore, draining the battery of the unit overtime.

I'd honestly consider one of those newfangled capacitor type jump start packs. The only problem with them is my previous situation where I was driving a vehicle that had a battery that was completely flat: If your battery goes from 60-0 in a short period of time (which happened to me with a different car) the capacitor style will not boost it. However, you don't have to worry about keeping it charged, or the health of the cells inside of the jump pack.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Don't get this one: https://www.amazon.ca/Upgraded-Starter-GOOLOO-18000mAh-Portable/dp/B06X9R8QSY . I dropped it a time or two, and the flashlight stopped working... .

You don't recommend it because it stopped working after you dropped it more than once? 4.5 stars with almost 1400 reviews seems like a pretty safe buy.

Good thread as I need 2 of these things.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Originally Posted by maxdustington
Don't get this one: https://www.amazon.ca/Upgraded-Starter-GOOLOO-18000mAh-Portable/dp/B06X9R8QSY . I dropped it a time or two, and the flashlight stopped working... .

You don't recommend it because it stopped working after you dropped it more than once? 4.5 stars with almost 1400 reviews seems like a pretty safe buy.

Good thread as I need 2 of these things.
That's what I thought, too. If you buy them, look in the package for the document that claims they will give you a free gift if you leave a good review.

It's a brick of lithium ion cells with a charge controller and the circuitry required for the boosting, no moving parts. I dropped it once from about four feet onto asphalt and the light stopped working. I dropped it once again a while later and it seemed fine. I boosted a car with it two weeks ago and it was fine, now it cannot be relied upon. It worked for less than six months, I probably used it 20-30 times and it worked marvelously up until last week. For $90 CAD, I expect more longevity than that.

Sounds like my daughter. Dad I dropped my cell phone. It was only four feet onto the road. I paid 600 dollars for this. I didn't expect it to not work anymore. Silly girl.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
Noco GB40

Up to 6.0 gasser and 3.0 diesel IIRC.

Has a USB port and flashlight.

I got my daughter this exact unit for Christmas last year. She's used it twice to jump a friend's car and says it works well.

I have the Noco GB40. Picked it up last Black Friday for $80. I've used it twice to jump a dead 6cyl Lexus RX350 and Jeep Cherokee without any trouble.

I think my jump starter read this thread as it is working correctly again except for the flashlight. Charged it up overnight and used it this morning.

18 month warranty, not bad.

Recently my Alternator stopped working while I was 5 miles from Home.

Question: Could you leave a Battery Jumpstarter connected to your Battery till you got Home ?

Would doing so save your Vehicles Battery ?
And possibly prevent a roadside repair.

Other than that, (for me) changing the Battery every 3-5 years would be my best bet.

Either way, you have to love the new technology they come out with.

Originally Posted by MasterSolenoid

Question: Could you leave a Battery Jumpstarter connected to your Battery till you got Home ?

Would doing so save your Vehicles Battery ?
And possibly prevent a roadside repair.

Unless the battery was bad, you should have had no problem driving home 5 miles with a bad alternator. Batteries are also rated at reserve capacity, like 60 or 80 minutes, so another 5 or 10 minutes without a working alternator is no problem.

I did it recently and posted a thread. The jump pack lasted about a mile. Personally I would not recommend doing this unless you had absolutely no other option.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...t-used-correctly-but-success#Post5240379

Originally Posted by BeerCan

I did it recently and posted a thread. The jump pack lasted about a mile. Personally I would not recommend doing this unless you had absolutely no other option.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...t-used-correctly-but-success#Post5240379

You can't use a LI jumpstarter for that situation. They automatically cut off after sensing the alternator charging or after a set time period. You would need a standard heavy jump box to do that.

Originally Posted by atikovi
You can't use a LI jumpstarter for that situation. They automatically cut off after sensing the alternator charging or after a set time period. You would need a standard heavy jump box to do that.

Yeah, I was given a lithium-ion jumpstarter as a gift ("Type S" brand). I was hoping it could be used to keep the cars's settings when disconnecting the battery, but it only provides power to the jump cables for like 30 seconds and it has no other 12V connectors. It's also not much good for jump-starting older cars with carbs that may need a lot of cranking to fire up. Overall it seems to be more useful as a flashlight and USB power source than for jump starts.

For the keep-alive function I use my older jump starter that has a sealed lead-acid battery. It's a lot bigger and clumsier but will provide power as long as the battery can provide it. It's also better at providing cranking power.

I ended up purchasing two (2) Noco GB50s.

It's probably more than I will need but it's nice to know "they're back there" if we should need them.

Thanks for the feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back