Had to show you guys this...Pennzoil Syn Euro

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Hope this works!
Anyway, I almost threw this out this morning but decided to post for you guys to see. This was about 3/4 of a quart of used Pennzoil Synthetic 5W-40 Euro, that I ran in my 2014 Mercedes E350 V6 for 12 months. The engine looks clean inside, and the oil looked a normal brownish color when drained. There was only about 8000 miles put on that oil in the 12 month period. The engine has no mechanical issues, ran like a top, and gave acceptable fuel economy of about 30 mpg highway. Most of my driving is short trips, but there was a 2000 mile road trip once on this oil. The used oil sat undisturbed on a shelf for about 9 months before I decided to clean up a bit yesterday. This was the second 12 month interval that I ran with this oil, ordering it from Walmart. Prior to that Mobil 1 and Mercedes oil was used and changed regularly. The filter was changed at every oil change and nothing abnormal appeared on the filter. I also had installed a magnetic oil plug, which collected just a bare coating of debris. I have since traded this vehicle in, but it still ran perfectly, no issues.

To me, I looks like carbon was being cleaned from this engine using the Pennzoil.
OPINIONS?

I would think we're just looking at what happens when used oil is allowed to sit long enough for the particulates to settle out. Shake the bottle to see how easily they stay in suspension.

Those particles would never stay in suspension, they are way too large to form an emulsion. They won't go into solution either (at least not at room temperature) otherwise they would have done so already.

I don't understand why the oil filter didn't remove them.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Those particles would never stay in suspension, they are way too large to form an emulsion. They won't go into solution either (at least not at room temperature) otherwise they would have done so already.

You don't think they would coalesce at the bottom and then break apart into tiny pieces once shaken?

How do we know that these black particles were already inside the container when the OP put the used oil in it?
Got to be skeptical of what is posted on the internet.

Man I wouldn't think so. They look like carbon particles but who knows.

Makes me wish I still had access to SEM/EDX. You could find out in a heartbeat what they are.

This! Why is this not in the filter?

Thanks Guys.
First to the skeptic. No, the bottle was perfectly clean before the oil was transferred to this container. I am very meticulous when it comes to my cars and motor oil, otherwise I wouldn't be on this site since 2005.

I'd say this is carbon. The fact that it looks like large particles is only due to the fact that they seem to have an affinity to stick together and have clumped in the bottom of the container. If you look at the paper towel next to the bottle, you will see a smudge from my finger. This was from one of the clumps that I touched just to see how solid they were. ( Not solid at all).
These seem to be ultra fine particles, and I think that is why they were not stopped by the Genuine MB Fleece filter.

And to agree with rollinpete, I'd say this oil was cleaning carbon out of the ring pack, and doing an excellent job of it!

The particals are not metal. I'd also agree that this is just motor oil doing the job that oil is supposed to do. Just as BMWturbo said. In this case, a VERY good job of it.

Originally Posted by JohnG
Thanks Guys.
First to the skeptic. No, the bottle was perfectly clean before the oil was transferred to this container. I am very meticulous when it comes to my cars and motor oil, otherwise I wouldn't be on this site since 2005.

I'd say this is carbon. The fact that it looks like large particles is only due to the fact that they seem to have an affinity to stick together and have clumped in the bottom of the container. If you look at the paper towel next to the bottle, you will see a smudge from my finger. This was from one of the clumps that I touched just to see how solid they were. ( Not solid at all).
These seem to be ultra fine particles, and I think that is why they were not stopped by the Genuine MB Fleece filter.

And to agree with rollinpete, I'd say this oil was cleaning carbon out of the ring pack, and doing an excellent job of it!

The particals are not metal. I'd also agree that this is just motor oil doing the job that oil is supposed to do. Just as BMWturbo said. In this case, a VERY good job of it.

I've cleaned similar material out of oil filters in the past in our Expedition. Was there nothing similar stuck in the oil filter?

Was there nothing similar stuck in the oil filter?

I always look at my filters very carefully, both inside and out, taking them apart if they are the spin on type. This MB filter is not spin on, so it is easy to look directly at the element itself.
And no, there was no apparent coating or buildup on the filter. I could see the fibers of the element very clearly. Sure, a bit darker than a new one, but not black and coated to any degree.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
I would think we're just looking at what happens when used oil is allowed to sit long enough for the particulates to settle out. Shake the bottle to see how easily they stay in suspension.

thumbsup2.gif
This!

Had the same bits in a waste container when I drained oil from neighbours lawnmover...oil was brown..and after a month when I drained that container it had residue like that at the bottom...

Nothing extra out of ordinary...just oil doing its job (keeping that dirt in a suspension)
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JohnG
Was there nothing similar stuck in the oil filter?

I always look at my filters very carefully, both inside and out, taking them apart if they are the spin on type. This MB filter is not spin on, so it is easy to look directly at the element itself.
And no, there was no apparent coating or buildup on the filter. I could see the fibers of the element very clearly. Sure, a bit darker than a new one, but not black and coated to any degree.

That's a bit disconcerting TBH.

This was just a Motorcraft FL-820S:
[Linked Image from darkfibrecommunications.com]

[Linked Image from darkfibrecommunications.com]

I would filter the next oil change thru a coffee filter or paint filter that way you know immediately instead of ...could be normal particulates settling.

Did the lawn mower have an oil filter?

No...it was a sediment wich felt out of suspension...

Oil works as a solvent. SN oil IS detergent oil, which cleans. It breaks down carbon and other bits. When the oil sits, it comes out of suspension, and forms this sludge on the bottom of the container. Not rocket surgery.

Originally Posted by Kamele0N
Did the lawn mower have an oil filter?

No...it was a sediment wich felt out of suspension...

This might not be right and is a hunch based on my experiences in the lab. The sediment in the bottle might have been compounds that were in solution when the fill was drained and then over time were able to crystalize. They might have been fully solubilized which is why it is possible they were not caught by the filter and it was only over a long period they were able to agglomerate and form macro sized material.

Last edited:
Lawnm mover engines (mostly) dont have oil filters...at least my OPE equipement dont have them...

So the only conclusion is....that the sediment comes out of products wich are burnt oil...oxidation...by products etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back