Grand Cherokee Knock sound when using 4WD Low?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I just turned the 4WD in my car and I'm not sure if it's normal or not but when I activate it (In Neutral Gear) and then change it to Drive Gear the car makes a knocking sound and feels like it's moving a bit forward! (Even though I'm pressing the brake I don't know if it's normal or not? I drove about 30,000 KM with no issues or anything. I also noticed that when I use 4WD low the gearbox starts at 2, not 1.

2018 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4

Thanks

Last edited:
Completely normal! ton more torque in 4LO. Just not good on dry pavement, but good to exercise it now and then.

Originally Posted by HoosierJeeper
Completely normal! ton more torque in 4LO. Just not good on dry pavement, but good to exercise it now and then.

How can I exercise it? should I use it in the desert on sand?

If you're not an avid off roader, it's good enough to just pop it in and out a few times a year in the drive way, just drive forward and back.

In the sand, 4LO is good if it's pretty deep, but in my off road experience I usually use high range and air down to 15PSI.

The wk body styles were known to destroy the front differential mounting bushings. Not sure if 2018s are prone to this as well as I quit the dealership around 2013. They'd knock under heavy throttle from the front end, which you may have not noticed but the extra torque of 4low could be magnifying it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back