Rockauto Closeout Parts

I've had the usual headaches with Rockauto closeout parts-- missing boxes, hardware, old revision parts, things of that nature. They're still an excellent value for my old vehicles and I use them wherever possible because a lot of time you can get much better quality parts than I would get otherwise.

Today's issue was a new one on me. I'm installing a set of Mevotech Supreme sway bar end links and the first thing I notice was the boot is different. Clearly the same part and part no., and marked as such, so I chalk it up to different manufacturing dates. Then I notice one is missing a nut and the nut it does have is a different color. No big deal, go downstairs find the appropriate size nut and move on. Then I can't get the included nut on one side only to discover the ends of the threads are stripped something awful. I look at the nut (the one that came in the box) and it's an SAE coarse thread nut where a metric fine thread belongs. Clearly this part had been purchased and returned after some moron went [censored] bent for glory trying to put the wrong size nut on.

Luckily only the first few threads were mucked up so a quick thread chase fixed it, and once installed the nut is tightened down onto good threads. I guess for $4, I can't complain too much, but clearly they need better quality control when re-boxing up parts!

Anyone else have any RA closeout horror stories?

I don't buy the closeout stuff. Tried Gabriel struts for a saturn on close out, $25 each. 2 did not work out of the box, 1 was not the right length. No worth returning. Now i just buy the regular inventory.

Originally Posted by HangFire
Only old dried-out wipers that didn't last. My rule of thumb now, only buy RA closeout on parts that age well on the shelf.

I did get some Valeo wipers once that were pretty good. The last batch of Trico were a mixed bag, some were ok, some were kinda dried out. I wipe them down with isopropyl alcohol first and that seems to bring them back to life a little. They don't last as long as the Valeo blades did though. Only thing I don't like about closeouts is that they are never in the same warehouse as their other parts so shipping is always extra, you can basically never combine it with something else.

Originally Posted by Wolf359

Only thing I don't like about closeouts is that they are never in the same warehouse as their other parts so shipping is always extra, you can basically never combine it with something else.

I suspect that is because those "warehouses" are places they bought out and are being shut down.

Add me to the dry wiper blade sufferers.

Now I wonder how the rubber is inside my $.91 oil filters.
21.gif

The wipers I have bought for $1 a piece have never been a disappointment at that price point.

I've also never had a bad $6 serpentine belt... or a bad $3 air filter.

Don't get me started on how many " ~$1 range " oil filters I have bought over the years.

Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2

No horror stories, just amusing ones.
I live in the country in a very rural area and I've got a few "beaters". These are vehicles that get used on gravel or dirt roads, a quick trip to my (very) small town, but never on a long trip. So these vehicles are good candidate for closeout parts.
On my last three sets of "closeout" brake pads, here is my story: Example #1 was brake pads for a Ford F250 that didn't fit. They looked good, but I couldn't get them into the caliper. Old pads slipped right in, new ones did not. After measuring them, it turns out they were about an 1/8" too long. I took a hand grinder and carefully shortened them, they now work great. I will admit I'd never do this on somebody else's car, but I wasn't making a 50-mile round trip drive to get another set of brake pads locally.
Example #2 on a Ford Ranger: This set of brake pads had the box that was completely written in Spanish. I don't know any Spanish. Hopefully, the box didn't have any life-threatening warnings on it. Pads fit great, BTW.
Example #3 on another Ford Ranger: I open the box and a red shop rag was included with the set of brake pads. I know the factory didn't throw it in, so some shop lost a red shop rag when they took their brake pads back for a refund.

I will say that I will continue to use closeout parts from RA, but it's a real hit-and-miss.

Last edited:
I have gotten a few RA parts that were mis boxed . They made it right . No big complaints . Can not remember if they were close out or not .

I have bought close out oil filters for our cars . No complaints . Order 6 to 12 at a time to " spread out " the shipping .

I've had good experience with Rock Auto closeoout items. My problem is that I want to buy lots of stuff that I don't need.

Originally Posted by Kruse
Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2

No horror stories, just amusing ones.
I live in the country in a very rural area and I've got a few "beaters". These are vehicles that get used on gravel or dirt roads, a quick trip to my (very) small town, but never on a long trip. So these vehicles are good candidate for closeout parts.
On my last three sets of "closeout" brake pads, here is my story: Example #1 was brake pads for a Ford F250 that didn't fit. They looked good, but I couldn't get them into the caliper. Old pads slipped right in, new ones did not. After measuring them, it turns out they were about an 1/8" too long. I took a hand grinder and carefully shortened them, they now work great. I will admit I'd never do this on somebody else's car, but I wasn't making a 50-mile round trip drive to get another set of brake pads locally.
Example #2 on a Ford Ranger: This set of brake pads had the box that was completely written in Spanish. I don't know any Spanish. Hopefully, the box didn't have any life-threatening warnings on it. Pads fit great, BTW.
Example #3 on another Ford Ranger: I open the box and a red shop rag was included with the set of brake pads. I know the factory didn't throw it in, so some shop lost a red shop rag when they took their brake pads back for a refund.

I will say that I will continue to use closeout parts from RA, but it's a real hit-and-miss.

And hey, free shop rag!
laugh.gif

I purchase the close out GM 3.6L cartridge style filters because they run about $2 each and buy 10 at a time and with shipping still works out much cheaper than at the store. They have been mixtures of brands but always looked good. I've gotten Champ, Fram and Car Quest filters and all ok.

I have had good luck on closeout parts, I do tend to over buy like when I bought oil filters for a buck. I keep putting them in the cart until shipping goes up. ended up with 20+ filters for the ford 5.0 I was driving but I ended up with Ecoboost. Now I put 2 in everyones stocking for Christmas. Its the thought that counts!

I got a valve cover gasket in close out and it was Felpro and included the intake gasket as well (VW 2.0). My only complaint was it took longer to ship.

I’m usually more disappointed when they forget to put in the magnet…..that has happened twice.

So far I've not had any problems with their closeout parts except the set of brake pads I bought a few weeks ago was missing one of the shims. I installed them without shims and everything is fine.

I guess it is hit or miss as with everything. But honestly I have been shopping there for years and bought plenty of closeout stuff and 99% of it was fine. With how much I have saved on parts, i'm not upset even just throwing out some of it. I usually make sure it is new stuff if I am buying something important that I need very soon. Less chance of something wrong or bad parts.

Add me to the dry wiper blade sufferers.

Now I wonder how the rubber is inside my $.91 oil filters.
21.gif
I wonder if you could pre-emptively oil the rubber gaskets on oil filters to preserve them for long term storage? Or if it's even necessary.

Back