Another wilderness tower torn down due to disabilities act

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
I don't understand why the tower isn't designated a historical landmark? That designation carries with it some flexibility when it comes to compliance/rehabbing and the ADA. But who knows, maybe they looked into that and it wasn't a viable option for some reason.🤔

Since it would be a path forward without involving upgrades to meet ADA requirements, I'm betting that was looked into, but probably those old wild fire look-out towers didn't meet requirements of a "historical landmark".

Originally Posted by 02SE
Originally Posted by Alfred_B
What am I missing? The principle reason cited in the article for tear down is it's structurally unsound. Even if there wasn't a disabled person on the planet the structure has to come down.

It's a good excuse to bash the ADA by people without disabilities.

OR, it's an example of a policy that was well-intended, but too often has unforeseen and ridiculous consequences. Some (most) people with disabilities still have common sense., and aren't going around imposing their limitations on others. Before you get all offended, I have family members who are disabled.

We were in Yosemite not too long ago. I'm wondering how long it will be before some lunatic gets Half Dome closed to climbing, because there is no wheelchair accessible ramp up the face?

Too often?..how did you arrive at this conclusion? Can you cite your research...no disabled person(s) is trying to get Half Dome closed or imposing "their limitations" upon you. Wa wa wa.........my life as an able bodied person is so tough if only these disabled people weren't running around ruining everything for me.

I wasn't going to disclose this (because it's nobody's business) but 3yrs ago I almost died of CHF. I had heart failure but didn't recognize the symptoms and it caused a blood clot to form and lodge itself in my lungs (a pulmonary embolism). For the next 6 months I was in and out of the hospital, it was very touch and go... and very hard for me having two young teen children seeing their father like this. Fast forward I'm still here.. thankfully. But I'm not the same. My ability to do activities has been greatly reduced. Living with heart failure (low pumping ability) and reduced lung capacity due to the blood clot that starved a large portion of my lower right long is no picnic, especially for someone like myself who once played semi pro rugby and has walked the Great Wall of China in my youth. I now depend on the assistance of my 2 kids to do things that i took for granted. I depend on being able to park close to a stores entrance in a spot designated for the handicap so I can grocery shop on my own.. again, something I used to take for granted as an able bodied person. I could go on and on about how because of the ADA i can maintain some semblance of a normal life and not be a total burden to everyone around me. This (the ADA) has made it so I can have some quality of life for however long I'm still on this planet.. could be 1 more month, 2 more years or 10..who knows. But I'm grateful (and my kids are too) that I can still do many of the things I used to do and that is due in some part to the ADA. Is it a perfect law, no it's not. But like I said..no law pleases all the people all of the time.

So go ahead and keep blaming those darn cripples and the ADA for your stupid tower coming down, it just makes you all sound whiney and selfish.

Whiney and selfish? Your sob story is the definition. Is this where I post my sob story too? I think I'll refrain.

if the focus of the thread and ensuing discussion was about people using the ADA to exact some agenda for personal enrichment, than I could go there with you on that because I do believe that is a problem,

I'm glad you can see my point.

I haven't seen many people complain about new shopping centers/stores/ restaurants/etc being friendly to disabled people. What people do complain about is the insanity of tearing down old stuctures so no one can enjoy them because they aren't practical to make handicapped friendly or putting little mom and pops out of biz because they don't have a $million spare change laying around to update their 75 year old building. All because one or two people complain. That just turns everyone off.

Originally Posted by hatt
Originally Posted by Aero540T

Why is my wife less deserving of trying to enjoy the same things as you in life just because she needs to use a cane occasionally? Her issues are no fault of her own btw, and that's a pretty blatant assumption by you. Most people acquire some sort of disability in their life at some point and the ADA has done some great things to help. Be grateful for your good health

Ps sorry for screwing up the quotes.
Needs to use a cane once in a while? I just had bilateral knee replacements. I've been in pain for over 20 years since my early 20s. There was plenty of stuff I couldn't do. I didn't whine about it. I did things I could do. You also never saw one of those handicapped placards around my vehicles.

My brother, before he passed, had both knees replaced so a lot of people do just fine returning to their normal activities after knee surgery. I don't think you would have even qualified for a placard given your mobility. You have to meet certain definitions and one is not being able to walk a distance of something like a hundred feet or something like that...i forget exactly what it is as it's been some time since I had to fill one out...and maybe some states differ but here in WA a Dr. has to certify that you satisfy a list of things that must exist in your medical history.

Fwiw, I don't smoke and don't drink and while I'm not at my target weight I'm certainly not obese...heart issues just run in the family. That's what killed my brother at 42. Went to sleep one night and never woke up. So my having cardiovascular issues is hardly a surprise to my cardiologist... could be worse I suppose, early onset Alzheimer's also runs in the family on my mother's side.

Thanks doc. I should have just went to you instead of orthopedic surgeons to tell me about my knee troubles.

I haven't seen many people complain about new shopping centers/stores/ restaurants/etc being friendly to disabled people. What people do complain about is the insanity of tearing down old stuctures so no one can enjoy them because they aren't practical to make handicapped friendly or putting little mom and pops out of biz because they don't have a $million spare change laying around to update their 75 year old building. All because one or two people complain. That just turns everyone off.

These are torn down because they are dilapidated and unsafe. Not because they are ADA non-compliant.

Originally Posted by gman2304
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Originally Posted by Chris142
It's from people like this guy. He lives in my town. We have 86'd him from our shop. Don't need the headache.

https://youtu.be/vThW4G_IZsM

Pretty sure he's the same [censored] that has gotten historic restaurants closed down (including Roy's Drive In in Salinas, and the circa-1900 On Lock Sam's in Stockton).

I hope he gets cancer and I hope it kills him really slowly and painfully.
. Dang Jarl.....that's harsh even for you!

Naah, not really.

Insanity and mental illness rules the day now. I'm waiting for all of the nature trails to be shut down because they aren't paved and accessible to people in wheelchairs or jazzy scooters.

Or every museum ship to be closed down. (AFAIK, none are accessible.)

These are torn down because they are dilapidated and unsafe. Not because they are ADA non-compliant.

No matter how many times you repeat that, it's still wrong.

Too expensive to upgrade to meet ADA requirements. If you read the original post, they want to repair them and can, but they can't afford to upgrade to ADA requirements. Therefore, the ADA requirements is what ultimately caused their demise and teardown.

Post the article you are reading. The one in the OP doesn't say that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back