How to stop corroding batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an old RadioShack handheld CB I use with a BNC-to-PL259 adapter going to a mag mount antenna attached to the windowsill of my bedroom window to listen to Superbowl 6 when I'm too lazy to go out and sit in my car.

This little radio works great but if you let it sit longer than 3 days almost every time the batteries in it corrode and it looks like I'm trying to make my own Miracle-Gro powder.

The other day I spend almost 45 minutes with a wire brush scrubbing all the corrosion off the contacts in the battery back just so it would make good enough contact for the radio to turn on.

I tried using rechargable batteries in it but those do not have enough power for the radio if I try to transmit with them.

Is there something I can do to prevent the corrosion or should I just remove the battery back when the radio is not in use? Or is there possibly another underlying cause??

Last edited:
Will that goop up the radio though? The battery pack slides into the bottom of the radio and the contacts touch against a bare PCB.

not exact one but same general idea here:
[Linked Image from 4x4cb.com]

Di-electic grease allows a displacement fit in connectors and keeps air out at the same time. Don't over think it. It just does.
grin2.gif

use vinegar and qtips to "cancel" the alkaline residual (and rinse with alcohol), then use a fiberglass brush
to refinish the contact surface, then add grease.

Get a 12V power supply and use that instead? No batteries required. Get one with a cig lighter output if necessary, that handheld unit probably has a cord for that purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back