Winter tires for Nissan Rogue 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I'm new to the winter tires world. Looking for recommendations for Nissan Rogue 2019 SV 17". I am confused between Michelin Lattitude X-ICE XI2 and Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2. Which one should I go for? I would drive in Mississauga-Toronto area where Ice and Slush are predominant with Snow.

Are you open to other brands or are you married to either one of those two tires?

I've heard of people having bad experiences in slush with the X-ICE where i am (new york state) , but the Blizzak DMV2s seem to work quite well.

welcome2.gif

What is your tire size?
smile.gif

If you can get the Nokian R3, it is worth considering.

Either of those is going to be a great winter tire. Are you going to have them mounted on their own set of rims with TPMS sensors or will you be swapping just rubber 2x year?

IMHO, go with 16" steel rims from Costco and then get 215/70-16 General Altimax Arctic 12 tires from 4tires.ca - they are only CAD$119 before MIR $40.
That's one of the best and cheapest options for your car and your pocket.
I think OEM tire size is 225/65-17.

Studded snow tires beat stud-less tires in the toughest weather conditions. Have a safe winter.

I run Blizzaks on my 12 yr old Subaru...and General Altimax Artics on my Caravan. Blizzaks seem better but hard to compare 2 different vehicles. Generals were a very cost competitive option when I bought them 5 years ago and work well.

Originally Posted by totegoat
Studded snow tires beat stud-less tires in the toughest weather conditions. Have a safe winter.

Studded tires aren't legal where OP lives, however, they are legal where I live (in the same province).
And where the OP lives, the winters aren't that harsh.
I would go with the Blizzaks for the OP.
Just bought Hakka9 winters with studs for the RAV4 and JGC.

Last edited:
I had one of the early generations of X-Ice, and found the tread pattern didn't have enough void space for throwing snow and slush. I'm sure they would have been great on bare, slippery roads, but that's not what I was driving on. Perhaps they have evolved in the last 17+ years, but I haven't tried them again.

I have had good experience with Yokohama I/G, Bridgestone Blizzak, and Nokian Hakkas.

Originally Posted by RoddyCGA
Hello,

I'm new to the winter tires world. Looking for recommendations for Nissan Rogue 2019 SV 17". I am confused between Michelin Lattitude X-ICE XI2 and Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2. Which one should I go for? I would drive in Mississauga-Toronto area where Ice and Slush are predominant with Snow.

I had both. Michelin X-Ice hands down.
It is better performer in variety of disciplines. In dry it feels like all season tire, in wet performs like all season tire, and in snow it does it really good. I personally was bit worry about slush performance, but it did really good.
Now, how does it compare to DM-V2? DM-V2 is better in really deep snow and just tid better in slush. However, the biggest problem with DM-V2 is lateral handling in ice. It is awkward, uncomfortable, really strange that tire suddenly, without any progressive lose of traction, just slips. I owned probably more than 40 sets of various winter tires, and except Hankook W300, which is ultimate disaster of a winter tire, I never had such problem with winter tires. Both sets I had on BMW X5, and for my Toyota Sienna, once I traded in BMW, I got again X-Ice, and never looked back. X-Ice is also better in wet, and as I mentioned in dry feels more like all season than winter tire. DM-V2 always reminds you that you are on winter set.

I guess we need to know what conditions the OP will be using the tires in. I deal with DEEP snow, and slush. Ice is less of an issue, as main roads are plowed and heavily salted, eventually.

Originally Posted by 02SE
I guess we need to know what conditions the OP will be using the tires in. I deal with DEEP snow, and slush. Ice is less of an issue, as main roads are plowed and heavily salted, eventually.

I would say difference in deep snow between DM-V2 and Xi2 is let's say, DM-V2 are 8, and X2 are 7.5. Almost non-existent. I ski twice a week here in the Summit county and go through a lot of blizzards and various conditions and Xi2 is definiately more sure footed.

I live near a ski resort that averages over 500" a year. Lots of blizzards and various conditions. We're running Pirelli Scorpion ice & snow run flats on the wifes SUV, because it is the only option in the specific size. We all have our opinions.

Originally Posted by 02SE
I live near a ski resort that averages over 500" a year. Lots of blizzards and various conditions. We're running Pirelli Scorpion ice & snow run flats on the wifes SUV, because it is the only option in the specific size. We all have our opinions.

Pirelli always had good snow tires. In Europe they are much better choice than anything Bridgestone winter tire.

Thank you for your recommendations folks! I went with Bridgestone Blizzaks DM-V2 from Costco. Got 17" rims though (didn't see an option for 16"). The total cost was $1,125.34 incl. of taxes, handling, and installation. My Rogue has a in-built TPMS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back