Mac Mini, the Honeymoon is Over

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, now I am [censored].
Bought a killer brand new Canon Laser Printer MF445dw for my new Mac min and freaking thing will not print with the Mac mini. Even though the printer is labeled with Mac AirPrint.

Every time I try to print I get a pause and a "beep" like it printed but nothing prints, its properly learned in as I can scan from the Mac and again, I get the confirmation from the printer when I try to print, but nothing prints.
The Windows 10 HP that the Mac replaced is now used by my wife, picked up the printer right away and works perfect. But, no, not the brand new Mac and I see endless forum posts about this issue with many printer brands and Macs.

Freaking, here we are 25 YEARS later and still issues over a freaking printer and for once I wish I had my Windows 10 PC back and, well, I will call tech support of both companies today, if this Mac [censored] me off to much it will be on EBAY as fast as you can say Mac mini.
I thought I was supposed to have flawless performance with this new Mac and to this day, they cant get a printer to plug and play? Decades later? Are you kidding me?

Can not believe I have to waste my time on this, one thing for sure, within a day or two, one of two things will happen, the printer will go back to the store or the Mac mini will end up on eBay. Hate to give up the printer maybe more then the Mac, bought it at a killer price that will never be seen again.

Last edited:
I will add that I have an Okidata network laser printer. It hooks up to my wifi router by a cable. I had to download a driver to get it to work. Works just fine.

No experience with a Mac . I have run a PC ,since the days of DOS .

Best of luck to you ! :)

Wyr
God bless

Well, that sucks. I hope you get it figured out. Could be the drivers for the new OS.

I have a pretty basic Samsung all in one and our Macbook air prints fine from it. Although, if I remember correctly, I did have to fiddle with the setup to get it working, but I don't recall it being anything long or needing extra research.

I realize it's a kludge, but if you had to, could the Windows machine share the printer to the Mac? Then the Mac uses the printer via the Windows box.

I hate printers as my first IT job while in college was in our University Computing Services as a batch clerk. Bursting printouts and running punch card decks.

30+ years later and I still have no love for printers.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
Did you try downloading the latest driver for your OS on Canons website?
https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/...geclass-mf445dw?subtab=downloads-drivers

Yes, that was one of my first steps.
The printer has the latest firmware and my Mac has the latest operating system, furthermore Apple advises not to download drivers from the manufacturer but to use their drivers.

But, I did go to Canon's site yesterday and checked to see if there were updated drivers, nope, got this message -

"There is no driver for the OS Version you selected. The driver may be included in your OS or you may not need a driver."

Which confirms what Apple says. Good news is because Apple says this, I should and will call their tech support first as I am sure it will be much easier to get in touch with them vs Canon.

But this all just confirms what I say day in and day out to family and customers. We THINK we are advanced but we are far from it, a couple decades from now we or younger generation will look back and this time in history will be l like us looking back now at a telephone that needs to be cranked or an AM radio that needs tubes, TVs that used tubes and only black and white, or light bulbs that create more heat then light.

There will be a day where AI will enable devices to talk to each other and set each other up, much like plugging an appliance into an outlet or devices into each other.
We aren't their yet, even though we think we are, we are on the right road but need more processing power to get there.

I just thought things would be different with APPLE. If this works out, Ill be ok, as I do love the "system" but make no mistake, it will be out the door if this is not ok! *LOL*

Last edited:
Originally Posted by KrisZ
Well, that sucks. I hope you get it figured out. Could be the drivers for the new OS.

I have a pretty basic Samsung all in one and our Macbook air prints fine from it. Although, if I remember correctly, I did have to fiddle with the setup to get it working, but I don't recall it being anything long or needing extra research.

Thank you, this is encouraging! As far as drivers, no, non exist (per my post above) ill update later once I get a chance to call apple.
As far as me, nothing I did wrong, I can even get the Mac mini to print but ONLY from the 'Photos' nothing but a beep on Safari or any other program.

Originally Posted by javacontour
I realize it's a kludge, but if you had to, could the Windows machine share the printer to the Mac? Then the Mac uses the printer via the Windows box.

I hate printers as my first IT job while in college was in our University Computing Services as a batch clerk. Bursting printouts and running punch card decks.

30+ years later and I still have no love for printers.

Thank you! No, its a home office and the other Windows 10 computer I speak of in the home office only runs when wife is off work, who happens to work in another room on her work computer WIN7 VIP to her home office. Whew! *L*

But, even if I could, not something I want to compromise on for the money I have spent I should not have too.

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
No experience with a Mac . I have run a PC ,since the days of DOS .

Best of luck to you ! :)

Wyr
God bless

yeah, this is my first Mac, needed a refreshing change, been on Windows since Windows 95 came out and Windows 10 pushed me over the edge ... but now .. .hmmm ..

Originally Posted by alarmguy
Originally Posted by KrisZ

Thank you, this is encouraging! As far as drivers, no, non exist (per my post above) ill update later once I get a chance to call apple.
As far as me, nothing I did wrong, I can even get the Mac mini to print but ONLY from the 'Photos' nothing but a beep on Safari or any other program.

So you are able to print, but just from Photos. That's weird.

I just checked my settings and I'm not using Air print. Maybe try removing the printer and add it again, but this time, instead of selecting air print, select your printer from the drop down. I thinks this way the system will download the drivers.
I know it defeats the purpose of having an air print compatible printer, but I would give it a try just to see what happens.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by alarmguy

But, I did go to Canon's site yesterday and checked to see if there were updated drivers, nope, got this message -

"There is no driver for the OS Version you selected. The driver may be included in your OS or you may not need a driver."

You DO need the driver, completely disregard what Apple says.

You need to select your OS version from the drop-down, when you do, it will change and look like this:

[Linked Image]

AirPrint is not what you want to be using here, as it only supports a VERY basic set of print commands. It's great for printing stuff from a tablet or phone, but on an actual computer, you want the full suite of capabilities offered by the device, which is why you want to use the driver package from the OEM.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

AirPrint is not what you want to be using here, as it only supports a VERY basic set of print commands. It's great for printing stuff from a tablet or phone, but on an actual computer, you want the full suite of capabilities offered by the device, which is why you want to use the driver package from the OEM.

This could explain why OP can print photos, but not from other apps.

Update -
After speaking with APPLE they suggest reinstalling the OS because Safari is part of the OS and can not be downloaded separately.

Bottom line is, printer is properly set up.
I am able to print any file on the computer, I am also able to scan.
I can not print from Safari. Tech support had me download chrome and I can print anything from Chrome which shows there is an issue in Safari.

I honestly do not think reinstalling the OS will help. I do think it is a security setting that the tech support doesn't know about, think I saw something like that in a forum someplace.

Anyway, just ridiculous ...

To add to the above, in the same conversation I brought up that I was going to buy two more years of Apple Care but the site would not let me, it was good that she could see the message as I gave her access to my screen.
I called Apple about this issue before, tech person could not give me an answer except to say try updating after we get off the phone (yeah right, its didn't work)
This tech person had me scan and send them the receipt and will investigate and get back to me BUT the tech support person suspects B&H Photo sold me a used unit! *L* Geez! She said it may have been registered before, she is not certain but that is one thing that can cause this issue.
She suggested also calling them, just my luck, they are closed for the Holiday until Wed.

Last edited:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201311

That document was last updated in September. Your model doesn't appear on there.

Mac OS X is miles ahead of Windows, I use both and for professional use I'll prefer the Mac hands down. Both of my Mac Mini connect to multiple printers fine. I can even print from one Mac Mini connected to another Mac Mini that's connected to a printer. It's actually stunning how well they can connect to each other compared to the problems you can have with Winblows just from sneezing to its direction. I can remote in from each, file share, print, without any difficulty even when one of them is a 2006 model running an ancient version of OS X and the other is a newer model running Catalina. It's a testament to how solid the core of the OS is.

Originally Posted by NoNameJoe
Mac OS X is miles ahead of Windows, I use both and for professional use I'll prefer the Mac hands down. Both of my Mac Mini connect to multiple printers fine. I can even print from one Mac Mini connected to another Mac Mini that's connected to a printer. It's actually stunning how well they can connect to each other compared to the problems you can have with Winblows just from sneezing to its direction. I can remote in from each, file share, print, without any difficulty even when one of them is a 2006 model running an ancient version of OS X and the other is a newer model running Catalina. It's a testament to how solid the core of the OS is.

I still have several machines running XP and Server 2003 with no issues, doesn't mean they're superior.

I also have 90 Windows machines to take care of and none of them have driver problems (assuming I set them up right and didn't do lazy work.)

Last edited:
I used the driver from Canon in my Mac(s) and it works flawlessly with printing off the air.
The printer itself is hooked up to the house router.
You need to create a static IP address for the printer, at least that was what I did.

Summary *LOL*

1. Mac mini prints perfectly using any program except Safari. So right now using chrome but will switch to Firefox or most likely Opera

2. I already contacted B&H photo to exchange my Mac mini with a new one, they sold me a used one as new and why I can not register the computer with Apple, its been registered before.
I am sure BH will not give me a problem but I do wish it was within the 30 day return period, it would have been but first Apple tech support was wrong 2 weeks ago.
Unbelievable but can see how it happened. On top of everything I will not have a reply from them until Wed or Thursday, they are closed for a holiday/

(Overkill, thanks for your post, yes, I may download those drivers that were just posted, just again know, everything on the computer prints, except nothing will print from Safari but will from chrome and Apple tells me will from any other browser, I may download the drivers for fun, nothing to lose anymore since this computer will be returned sooner or later)

(nonamejo, thanks for that list, its a long one! Canon did post the drivers in Oct 2019, I do appreciate your efforts. Canon contacted me through their support thread to call them) This is a Safari Apple issue, everything else prints.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back