Liking the j frame

Status
Not open for further replies.
About a 1980 model, pinned barrel Smith model 36. Looks as if it's been refinished with black duracoat, and wears a pair of rubber grips. Shot 30 rounds of magtech 158 grain last weekend, finally got my aim right and it shot poi. Rides on the belt like it's not even there. I had never shot anything but a .22 before, and while it'll take some adjustment getting used to the heavy da trigger and the snappy recoil, I like shooting the gun. I'm getting out of the .22 business. Just thought I'd share.

[Linked Image]

Nice classic there. I've been looking for a jframe for my wife, just haven't found the right one yet. IMO a nice set of wood grips would look nice on yours. Don't give up on the 22's just yet. They're cheap and a lot of fun to shoot.

Last edited:
Thanks. I wasn't looking for a snub .38 when I found this one, but as I returned to the car I discovered it had followed me. It's a Goldilocks for me, as it feels just right

Last edited:
I rotate between Hornady .38 special +p, Hornady .357 Mag and Federal .357 mag.

Originally Posted by Red91
Glad to hear from other owners. Jason C, what do you shoot out of your .357?

I love these little guns. I carried a Smith & Wesson 340PD with Crimson Trace laser grips ($1000 gun as pictured with the laser grips, that weighs 11 ounces) for almost a decade. Most days I now carry a semi-auto, but I love my little j frame. My wife has a j-frame as well, hence the pink grips. She doesnt like this older style Crimson Trace, so she got my newer style Crimson Trace laser on her gun, and I got her pink grips. They work. I dont care about the color.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I just picked up this Taurus 856 6 shot after rebate for like $195. Couldn't pass on that price, for a 6 shot snub nose revolver.

Ammo choice is Federal HST, Winchester Ranger Bonded, or Speer Gold Dot. All 38 special +P, even though the gun with pink grips is a .357 Magnum.

The last flat latch Chief's Special(36 no dash) I had was probably the nicest shooting snub I've ever shot. I stupidly sold it...

The 36 and 60 have always been favorites of mine.

IMO a nice set of wood grips would look nice on yours

Agreed, and with a grip adapter, they can make for a nice hand-filling and recoil-reducing shape. I had a nickel 36 with a Tyler T-Grip and some fake stag grips; nice shooting and really good looking (can't find a pic right now).

This was the best shooting one I had, a '56 flat latch:

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by JasonC
I carry a S&W 640 .357 mag J frame everyday. I love the older S&W revolvers.

So do I Jason. At 83, I'm concerned about where my S&W Model 10 and 18 will find a new home. As good as the Model 18 looks, I still drool over how beautiful and uncomplicated the Model 10 looks. Just gorgeous.

Do y'all do any reloading or do you stick to factory ammo?

I reload all my .38 and .357. You can get by with factory .38 but .357 is spendy and also obnoxious out of tiny revolvers. I like to load them a little weaker than factory for snubnoses or K frames. Starting data .357 loads are nice.

I've been tossing the idea around of trying out reloading, but I honestly don't think I'm going to shoot enough for it to be cost effective. I can definitely see the benefit of it if one shoots many rounds per month though.

BTW Oro_O that's a good looking example. I like the rubber grips on mine though, and don't plan on changing them.

Keep the pics coming if you've got them guys, I like seeing revolvers on here.

I'm only 40 and while I love the semi autos. I have a strong fondness for revolvers.

quote=Yah-Tah-Hey]
Originally Posted by JasonC
I carry a S&W 640 .357 mag J frame everyday. I love the older S&W revolvers.

So do I Jason. At 83, I'm concerned about where my S&W Model 10 and 18 will find a new home. As good as the Model 18 looks, I still drool over how beautiful and uncomplicated the Model 10 looks. Just gorgeous.[/quote]

27 here. Never been much on semi autos. Growing up, I always wanted a Smith revolver. Took almost 28 years but now I've got one. When I was in my teens, I practically lusted over the thought of wanting a model 10 or a model 19. Honestly, I'm not sure I want anything larger than a j frame now. This little 36 feels just right.

Originally Posted by hatt
Do y'all do any reloading or do you stick to factory ammo?

I reload all my .38 and .357. You can get by with factory .38 but .357 is spendy and also obnoxious out of tiny revolvers. I like to load them a little weaker than factory for snubnoses or K frames. Starting data .357 loads are nice.

One of my favorites I settled on a long time ago in 357 Magnum was a a bit over the minimum per Lyman of Unique for a 158gr LSWC. It's warm enough that you know it's a magnum, but also pleasant to shoot all day.

I also load/shoot a lot of a Bullseye load that gives 38 Special velocities but in a 357 Magnum Case. I call it my "Special Magnum" load. The whole reason I even worked it up in the first place was because I hate having to clean up the crud ring that 38 specials leave behind in a 357 Magnum chamber(that subsequently make even light magnums hard to eject). That isn't a HUGE problem if you're using commercial jacketed/plated loads, but lead bullets, especially combined with dirty handloading powders like Unique, can give a lot of build up their fairly quickly. Of course, the ambitions handloader can also create the perfect crud ring cleaning tool out of a belled 357 Mag case, but I'd rather avoid it in the first place.

BTW, I'm 31. My first handgun was an S&W revolver, and I've only had a handful of semi-autos over the years. Right now, my only two are an S&W 639 in 9mm, and an RIA 1911 in 38 Super. I am rather fond of the 38 Super to the point that I'd probably call it my favorite semi-auto cartridge.

Last edited:
Would your light .357 loads be on par with .38+P?

You can load .357 to any sensible lower power level you want. The joys of reloading. You can do it with pretty much any cartridge. I don't shoot many max effort .45-70. Most of mine are pleasant to shoot. 350 grain cast at 1500-1600.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back