What were they thinking? Toyota

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by edyvw

LOL I was joking. I seriously do not care what they are. They are ridiculously designed. I am not sure what is the point. The people who buy these cars would buy today 1999 Camry design with no problems.

What's wrong with '99 Camry's? I kinda like mine, not sure sure about the newer ones though.

I actually like the fake vents on the Camry SE & XSE. Now, if they put the rear reflectors in them... even better.

But... I won't buy another Camry, since owning a Camry with a V6 and 5-speed manual at one point.... at least they haven't gone to CVT's on the non-hybrid models yet.

Originally Posted by supton
Originally Posted by edyvw

LOL I was joking. I seriously do not care what they are. They are ridiculously designed. I am not sure what is the point. The people who buy these cars would buy today 1999 Camry design with no problems.

What's wrong with '99 Camry's? I kinda like mine, not sure sure about the newer ones though.

sleep.gif

They're real. Am I the only person running their 138 horsepower Corolla at the dragstrip on weekends? Still can't get 'er under 73 seconds for the quarter mile...but man she throws me back in my seat when I punch the gas after opening the second exhaust tip...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Malo83
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
While I love Hondas and Toyotas, I fine the current Accord and Camry hideous.
But I am sure from a reliability standpoint they are as good as it gets. And will hold their value...
Speaking of fake, my friends gorgeous BMW i8 has engine sounds that come out the stereo.

The new Accords are the best looking yet, would take one over the Camry.

They look okay, until you get to the rear. Those tail lights are hideous.

I like the overall looks of the current body camry, unlike any previous versions of them.

Lots of cars have fake aero stuff on them, American pony cars seem to be the worst offenders of them unfortunately.

Originally Posted by Leo99
Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by 01rangerxl
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
I think that black painted roof looks absolutely wretched.

Yeah, I don't get the black roof thing, especially on family sedan type cars. Won't that just make the interior hotter? And I personally don't think it's aesthetically pleasing on sedans, but I guess it's "sporty."

I'm guessing that's a panoramic roof and you're seeing the deeply tinted glass as black, at least the part on top.

It's two tone paint. I think it looks great but only available on the new Rav4 XSE. Don't want the stiffer suspension on the XSE.

I think the current Camry is a beautiful car. Especially the V6 model with all the trimmings. I just don't like the black roof. It looks like somebody painted it themselves at home. Now the two tone paint scheme of the 80s was sweet!

Originally Posted by Bud
They were thinking, we are going to sell a bunch of these. Probably right.

I personally think they look good. Granted, when I first saw them, I wasn't sure what they were either, and thought they might be vents but overall, the I like the look.

My one concern with those would be the increased cost of the panel should replacement become necessary due to an accident, etc.. I imagine they'd be quite expensive vs. the same body panel without the accents.

Everytime I see a 1999 or so Camry I can't help but love them. The front end was not great but the rear was awesome. The best one had a two-tone with the body color and then a different color on the sills. Spectacular! They had a paint match problem with the bumpers as they aged. They are all mismatched now.

camry 2000.jpg

Originally Posted by rekit
Everytime I see a 1999 or so Camry I can't help but love them. The front end was not great but the rear was awesome. The best one had a two-tone with the body color and then a different color on the sills. Spectacular! They had a paint match problem with the bumpers as they aged. They are all mismatched now.

Nice ride. Probably still on the road racking up the miles.

The absolute ugliest new car is the Civic....way too many fake grills on the rear bumper cover...

I suppose the real question to Toyota should be why does the front of the 2019 Toyota Avalon look like a predators mouth? Again, to each their own, but that car has an ugly mug!

Originally Posted by HemiBenny
I suppose the real question to Toyota should be why does the front of the 2019 Toyota Avalon look like a predators mouth? Again, to each their own, but that car has an ugly mug!

Because Lexus.

Originally Posted by Skippy722

Because Lexus.

Yeah, I get the Lexus connection, but none of the Lexus' grills are as drastic as the Avalons. I guess the Lexus looks more like a predator and the Avalon looks like a basking shark, hoover vacuum, catfish, etc. It's just huge.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Skippy722

Because Lexus.

Yeah, I get the Lexus connection, but none of the Lexus' grills are as drastic as the Avalons. I guess the Lexus looks more like a predator and the Avalon looks like a basking shark, hoover vacuum, catfish, etc. It's just huge.

Yeah, it's not great. The new Lincoln grills are really attractive.

I am there with you that I still find this body style attractive - its a classic design that has held the test of ~20 years of time. I am still astounded at how many of the '97-'01 Camry I still see daily, the '98-'02 Accord has largely disappeared by now in this area - Altima I barely even see the '02-'06 generation let alone anything older. Meanwhile I see 2-3 of these dusty '97-01 Camry's daily.....many in mint condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back