GM 4WD rubbing/grinding after 4Lo

Status
Not open for further replies.
2008 Suburban 1500 4WD. Took it fishing last weekend and needed 4 Low at one point. The truck then had a really tough time coming out of 4WD. When it finally did, it ‘thunked' more than normal. Now, when I turn left, I hear what sounds like a rubbing or slight grinding sound - not unlike what turning in 4Low can sound like. It only does it on left turns.

Thinking it wasn't fully disengaging, I've put it back into 4WD (high and low). It thunks pretty good when going into and coming out of Low, more so than usual. Doing this hasn't made the noise disappear.

On the fishing trip, I did go off road a bit, but nothing extreme. I suppose the noise could be suspension related, but with the 4WD issue I had, it seems more likely to be associated with that.

Any thoughts on what might be happening?

Bad passenger side wheel hub/bearing assembly. Common problem on GMT900s.

As far as the 4 LOW clunk, has the transfer case fluid been maintained?

Cheap things first - raise that wheel - grab W/E and shake - that checks linkage/bearing. Grab it N/S and shake - that checks bearing more.

If ok, I do the fluid to look at the magnet

Update: Crawled underneath and found a broken bolt on the bracket that attaches the stabilizer bar to the frame. Driver's side. Sound has been the bar bouncing up into the frame, at least that is my assumption. Probably will track down some new bushings and replace while I'm underneath.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back