1999 honda accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by ctechbob
Remember, its not just the timing belt, but there are also balance shaft belts to change while you're in there.

-snip-

Also, while you're in there, buy the $10 dorman (or other brand) balance shaft seal retainer. For some reason, the balance shaft seal likes to walk out on the F23 motors, no rhyme or reason, they sometimes do, and sometimes don't. If they do, the car will gush oil and you'll make it about 2 miles before the sump is empty. It happened to my wifes 2000 a couple months back and she continued to drive it. It survived, but who knows how long it would have lasted (was totaled a month later by an inattentive driver). Its a cheap part and it will ensure that it never happens and if you're in there anyways, why not. It is actually a dorman part that works.

https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-28216-917-006.aspx div>

That seems to be included with the Aisin timing belt kit
smile.gif

[Linked Image from rockauto.com]

thanks for all the info guys...I wish I could post a pic or two but cant do it...the car sat more than they ever drove it in 20 years never seen the snow or salt which Pennsylvania road crews seem to way over use salt on the roads.. does have two small dings on the 2 of the doors ,no doubt from a parking lot, interior is spotless absolutely no rust anywhere , the car belonged to a friends parents who no longer drive , both in their early 90's , no one in their family wanted the car , my friend knew I was looking to replace my 92 ford tempo which seen it's better days so he offered it to me,, never owned a honda before but it does seem to run/drive ok had to change the front pads and did a oil change and tranny fluid change.. if Hondas are as good as I heard then I should get a lot of years out of this one

Originally Posted by AZjeff
A rust free Pa car....being a Pa native I had to stop for a moment to consider this. A unicorn.

They exist. I just changed the oil on a friend's 01 Civic, it was almost prestine underneath. The reason is simple, wife's car, she doesn't work, just never goes out on snow days. Garage kept, too....

...I didn't get an owners manual ….
Here's a link to get you OM access any time. Coupe or Sedan, take your pick. Might be worth it to invest in a hard copy for the glove box, up to you.

https://owners.honda.com/vehicles/information/1999/Accord-Sedan/manuals

A 99 with only 85k miles on the clock, now that's a unicorn. Don't know what the body looks like, but at those engine miles, just broken in.

Agree with Aisin TB/WP kit. Member GemStater did a comparison of Honda OE with Aisin kit for a 06 3.0L Accord, pretty convincing as the go to replacement. If no record of that service, likely shouldn't go too long without getting it done.

As for diy, I do many things, timing belt water pump service not one of them. Guess that depends on your mech skill level, tools and workspace available and initiative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back