Fram Ultra or Mobil 1 for Jeep JK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't had a vehicle that's used a cartridge type oil filter in probably 50 years. I just bought a 2015 Jeep Wrangler JK. For the JK 3.6 liter engine I've read that Mopar is good but I want better than just good. I plan on keeping my Jeep for a long time. I got the service records from the previous owner and they changed the oil at recommended intervals at the local Jeep dealer. I plan on switching to Pennzoil platinum full synthetic at the next change. I've used Mobil 1 filters on all my other vehicles with spin on filters. I was going to go with M1 for the JK but I've been reading a lot about the Fram Ultra synthetic oil filters. Apparently they filter better than M1. Cost isn't an issue. I don't mind spending a couple dollars more if I can get a better filter. Has anyone had any experience, problems or issues with the Fram Ultrain a Jeep? How about M1? Thanks

That Utra XG11665 should filter better with the white filter element. Looks like it is a synthetic media. Good choice. Fram knows what they are doing.
[Linked Image from fram.com]

I'm using the Ultra in my 2016 JK Rubicon now. I also have Mobil 1 filters for it, which look to be very well made. I will be using them when my Ultra stash is depleted.

Unless you use a filter with a known lower efficiency (such as a WIX XP), you would be hard pressed to tell the difference between any of them. WM recently cleared out M1 filters for the Pentastar 3.6L and most of them were $4.00 or less.

I have poked around a bit and for the 3.6L Pentastar here are the filters that I have found and country of manufacture:

-- M1 filters (M1C-456A are good, but not made in the US (Korea)
-- FRAM Ultra (XG11665) have synthetic media, but also both made in Korea. I have a FRAM Ultra in mine now, but I will likely not keep using them; cost is a factor versus other filters.
-- Mopar filter (68191349AC is made in the US. It seems to be built reasonably well.
-- WIX (WL10010) is made in China. I bought two of them before realizing it. I will run them though nonetheless.
-- Hastings (LF697) is a Baldwin product and is made in Taiwan. I have two of these as well.
-- Mahle (OX1213D) also makes one to fit the 3.6L, but I have not seen one as yet.

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
Unless you use a filter with a known lower efficiency (such as a WIX XP), you would be hard pressed to tell the difference between any of them. WM recently cleared out M1 filters for the Pentastar 3.6L and most of them were $4.00 or less.

I have poked around a bit and for the 3.6L Pentastar here are the filters that I have found and country of manufacture:

-- FRAM Ultra (XG11665) have synthetic media, but also both made in Korea. I have a FRAM Ultra in mine now, but I will likely not keep using them; cost is a factor versus other filters.
-- Mopar filter (68191349AC is made in the US. It seems to be built reasonably well.
-- WIX (WL10010) is made in China. I bought two of them before realizing it. I will run them though nonetheless.
-- Hastings (LF697) is a Baldwin product and is made in Taiwan. I have two of these as well.
-- Mahle (OX1213D) also makes one to fit the 3.6L, but I have not seen one as yet.

The XP is US-made
smile.gif

Also, I've seen buckled Pentatsar cartridges on here. Even the Fram Ultra isn't immune, though it is less severe. The Ultra uses a clear plastic mesh. The XP uses wire mesh, so it might have a better chance of coming out straight at the end of the OCI and be immune to buckling

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted by 2015_PSD

The XP is US-made
smile.gif

Also, I've seen buckled Pentatsar cartridges on here. Even the Fram Ultra isn't immune, though it is less severe. The Ultra uses a clear plastic mesh. The XP uses wire mesh, so it might have a better chance of coming out straight at the end of the OCI and be immune to buckling
The problem with the XP is its efficiency rating for the price. Has it improved from what has been traditionally posted here? I have seen the twist and buckling and it makes we wonder if the filter is just too long in overall length or ran for too long.

WIX Fram (Extra Guard) and Mopar are all good choices. I've used all 3 on my brothers 2016 and they look great after his "in town" driving. Much harder on filters than highway driving.

I'm not a fan of Fram Ultra cartridges. They seem to fall apart on the end caps. Seems more of a European car issue, but I personally haven't seen enough Ultra Pentastar filters to prove otherwise.

The M1 filter is overrated IMO. It's just a paper filter.

Last edited:
Made in Korea isn't a problem. In general that country does it right. (maybe not North K., hee-hee). Samsung, Hyundai, other tech in Korea is great.
Made in China does give me pause though. Reputation still bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back