Winter street biking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Covers for bike shoes, a polartech beanie under helmet, a balaclava if it is really cold. plus an insulated bike jacket and insulated pants. Sometimes I wear base layers under regular clothes. Regular non-bike gloves.

Your bike should have fenders because of slush splash and tires designed for traction. Also lights and a reflective vest. Take your lights inside because the batteries will die quickly when cold.

Been forever since I did it, but a thin layer for insulation with something to break the wind on top. At one point I had shopping bags taped to the handlebars as mitts, that was the only way to keep my hands warm. I think I found 10F to be just too darn cold.

Back then I only road a mountain bike, and if I had to do it again, I'd switch from road bike. Something heavy and slow, help to make some heat.

I have Specialized bike boots, 2 different thicknesses of balaclava, a Terry lined cap with pull down on ear covers, wind proof jacket, flashing lights front and rear.

Originally Posted by NO2
Covers for bike shoes, a polartech beanie under helmet, a balaclava if it is really cold. plus an insulated bike jacket and insulated pants. Sometimes I wear base layers under regular clothes. Regular non-bike gloves.

Your bike should have fenders because of slush splash and tires designed for traction. Also lights and a reflective vest. Take your lights inside because the batteries will die quickly when cold.

thumbsup2.gif
thanks

Originally Posted by supton
Been forever since I did it, but a thin layer for insulation with something to break the wind on top. At one point I had shopping bags taped to the handlebars as mitts, that was the only way to keep my hands warm. I think I found 10F to be just too darn cold.

Back then I only road a mountain bike, and if I had to do it again, I'd switch from road bike. Something heavy ando slow, help to make some heat.

I remember when we rode motor cycles we would put rain gear over our jeans,worked well..I just remembered..lol

How far are you riding and how fast? Back in the day I used to commute year round in Michigan. Never really had a problem being cold on my 5mi commute, but I would ride pretty hard. Cover your face, get some good gloves (maybe lobster claws) and figure out the best way for YOU to keep your feet warm. The big parts of your body don't require as much insulation as you'd think since your working hard, especially if you are riding through snow.

For example, on my 5mi commute I would frequently ride with lined jeans, t-shirt fleece and shell jacket, moderate weight gloves, moderate weight windblocking balaclava and thick wool socks in sneakers on platform pedals. I've tried a lot of options to run clipless in the winter and they are all colder. Some are ok some are too cold. I'm something of a polar bear and even I found running insulated shoe covers to be ineffective below 35F.

Obviously for longer distances or recreational riding your gear would change but thats what worked for me back then. Now I enjoy moderate weight tights with 45NRTH biking boots. Still maintain that your legs and core don't need very much insulation at all. Less than if your walking and not even comparable to what you would wear for sedentary activities like hunting or ice fishing.

Originally Posted by buck91
How far are you riding and how fast? Back in the day I used to commute year round in Michigan. Never really had a problem being cold on my 5mi commute, but I would ride pretty hard. Cover your face, get some good gloves (maybe lobster claws) and figure out the best way for YOU to keep your feet warm. The big parts of your body don't require as much insulation as you'd think since your working hard, especially if you are riding through snow.

For example, on my 5mi commute I would frequently ride with lined jeans, t-shirt fleece and shell jacket, moderate weight gloves, moderate weight windblocking balaclava and thick wool socks in sneakers on platform pedals. I've tried a lot of options to run clipless in the winter and they are all colder. Some are ok some are too cold. I'm something of a polar bear and even I found running insulated shoe covers to be ineffective below 35F.

Obviously for longer distances or recreational riding your gear would change but thats what worked for me back then. Now I enjoy moderate weight tights with 45NRTH biking boots. Still maintain that your legs and core don't need very much insulation at all. Less than if your walking and not even comparable to what you would wear for sedentary activities like hunting or ice fishing.

thanks for the info

What thermal fall / early winter / spring cycling gear can others recommend... or recommend staying away from? 35-50 degrees.

Looking to buy form fitting bibs, a jersey, and a jacket for recreational riding/exercise.

My rule of thumb is another layer per -10 degrees. At 50 I'll wear a light coat, nylon long shirt, upper 50's bike shorts lower add nylon pants, regular gloves, thin skull cap. 40's I'll add a short sleeve shirt, insulated socks, balaclava (open face), heavy mitt gloves. 30's balaclava (closed face). 20's replace the short sleeve with a long sleeve, insulated boots, biking pants under the nylon. 10 degrees a short sleeve along with the other two shirts. Below that I have a pair ski goggles. That's basically what I've been doing for 3-4 years. Start out cold and you should be good. Figuring in the wind can be tricky some days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back