Used Car Inspection: DIY vs Pay a Shop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm planning to buy a used car for a family member and I'm just wondering if it's worthwhile to pay a shop to do an inspection vs doing it myself? Is there anything that a professional dealership shop does that a guy with above average mechanical competency can't do? I figure they do see the same vehicles day in day out so would they be better at picking out potential trouble areas?

For myself I'm pretty comfortable doing a visual check on most components, engine compression test, and perhaps taking an oil sample to send for analysis (which a shop normally doesn't do).

But perhaps with how complicated vehicles are these days, an argument could be made that you need to go above and beyond just the basics?

Depends on the price, what you are looking for and how much you know. If have a lot of experience with that particular make or model and the car is cheap(er) than you should be able to find any inconsistencies. I can turn a wrench or two but if I were buying a car over $7000 or so I would consider bringing it to that car's dealership.

If I were selling a car I would let someone take it to a mechanic for a used car inspection, but I don't want some shadetree hamfist screwing around with my car. Certainly not pulling plugs to do a compression test or anything like that, what happens if something goes wrong and you have no insurance to cover it? I would say "If you want it inspected, pay a pro to do it you cheapskate". Nothing personal of course!

First of all, do not expect the seller to let you get hands on enough to do an engine compression test or take an oil sample. Even though I'm quite familiar with these things, there's no way I'd let some stranger fiddle with my for-sale vehicle to do that.

At a shop, if something goes wrong they have more accountability and insurance if necessary and you're getting the vehicle away from the owner so the mechanic can do things without the watchful eye and/or apprehension of the owner.

It is true that it is very useful for someone familiar with the specific vehicle to look over known common problem areas, and even know if the engine sounds right, in ways that people less familiar with it won't pick up on. You can do this too if you look at several of same model year and engine, but what if you just encounter two or three which all have the same fault which is normal for that vehicle but none the less a problem with all three?

I pretty much restated and agree with maxdustington's take on this, except I would take the vehicle to a shop if it were negotiated to a $4K price or higher instead of $7K.

Plus, it helps to have it up on a lift to get good access to the bottom, particularly in a climate that can cause rust. Many things can be fixed but extensive/unibody rust, I'll pass on unless it's a $1K beater.

Another reason to let a shop do it is because it's for a family member. If you don't spot a problem then the family is mad at you but if a shop doesn't, the anger is deflected away.

If the family member buys it and a week or a month later something major breaks, who do you think will be feeling the heat? Is it worth the risk? Why can't they spend $100 to $150 at a shop?

I inspect and appraise about 10,000 vehicles a year. From experience, I can tell you that someone who looks under hoods for a living is going to see far more than you can imagine.

Yes it's worth the money. No, don't go to the dealership because their main goal is to scare you into buying one of their own new cars. Instead, take it to an independent mechanic who has a healthy track record.

Here's an article that can give you greater details. Good luck!

http://www.dashboard-light.com/6-buy-great-used-car-inspection/

What brand are you buying? Last time I bought a Mercedes, I took it to the dealer to get in inspected. Reason was that they also have the repair records in their database and they can also scan it with their software for manufacturer specific error codes. Some of the indy shops might also have the same equipment or their might be a variant of the manufacturer's system. The car had a warranty so I wanted them to find everything wrong with the car. Plus anything they find, you can negotiate with the seller.

My tire shop used to do these checks for free with or without service, we just didn't advertise it. I'd give the advisor donuts and the mechanic a $20. It was obviously a fishing expedition for more work. Cars came through either perfect or in need of $1500 worth of work that the customer would of course deny.

It'd go up on the lift, get a look-see for oil leaks, front end issues, tire depth, maybe brake pads if we could see them, the belts you can only see from underneath. If it's a used car pre-check they'd also look for rust etc.

A complete state inspection is $18.50 and the guy doing the freebie check is probably also a licensed inspector.

It'd be good for someone less inclined, and the lift is good for rust spots you can't see on the ground, like the cavity where the gas tank straps mount to the body.

Thanks for the replies, these are good points. I probably wouldn't go for those cheap-o lube/tire shop quick inspections....I can do all those myself. I haven't thought of what vehicle to buy, but it's probably in the $5000-7000 beater range but I would still get a more comprehensive inspection done.

Originally Posted by nobb
Thanks for the replies, these are good points. I probably wouldn't go for those cheap-o lube/tire shop quick inspections....I can do all those myself. I haven't thought of what vehicle to buy, but it's probably in the $5000-7000 beater range but I would still get a more comprehensive inspection done.

You could also get a scanner like the Autel Diaglink. Includes coverage for one car manufacturer and each additional one is $10. So if you know what you're looking at, you can get that car line in advance. Scan the system for manufacturer specific error codes that might not trigger a CEL. You can also see if the system was reset recently to hide codes.

https://www.amazon.com/Autel-Diaglink-Version-Diagnostic-Transmission/dp/B01N0QQZY7

Originally Posted by Kira

noob: What kind of vehicle are you looking for?

No idea yet. Something good on gas, $5000-7000 CAD range, easy to work on. It would get driven on the highway to work and the roads get icy here in the winter so perhaps AWD would be nice for that extra control. But it is more stuff that could go wrong so...

Leaning towards a Mazda 3/Ford Focus. Rav4 or CRV would be nice but in this price range you could get a better condition American car rather than a Toyota/Honda. Possibly Kia/Hyundai's too but definitely no German cars (except maybe a Golf or Jetta) or Chevy/Dodge.

If you can find an indie who specializes in the nameplate you're looking at buying, then it's a buck or two well spent.
A guy who knows what the problem areas are from his experience is worth the cost over a guy who knows cars but knows nothing specific about what you bring him.
An indie shop that works on a lot of different vehicles would be a good second choice.
Shops have scanners and lifts with which to work. I don't and you probably don't either.
For real money, and $5-7K is, even Canadian, it's worth having someone who knows something have a look.

Another poster has a case (true or not) where they were sold a car with a fake VIN. Cops came and took it and he was out the car payment. I would add finding the other locations of the VIN and checking them for consistency. This includes the scan tool.

As far as the engine, take it to a local mechanic and have them look it over in addition to your looks. If you give it a thumbs up and the independent doesn't find anything major you can sleep well that if/when something does pop up, you won't kick yourself for not being through enough on the inspection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back