Weed Killer Time Frame

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sprayed Weed Killer on my lawn 2 weeks ago and I still have weeds. I'm sure I missed some but is 2 weeks long enough to give the Weed Killer to work?

When using Ortho Weed-B-Gon that is sprayed on the entire lawn in the Spring, it took three weeks before the dandelions started turning black. At four weeks, all the weeds were dead. Did not do any damage that I could see to tall fescue.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Why really bother this time of year? Growing season pretty much over now that far north.

Most of the broadleaf lawn weeds are perennial. Fall is the best time to apply herbicide because the plants are moving carbohydrates down to the roots and the herbicide will travel there also. Because top growth is limited during the cool fall weather, it appears that the weeds are not dying after a broadleaf herbicide app.. Be patient.

Originally Posted by Warstud
I sprayed Weed Killer on my lawn 2 weeks ago and I still have weeds. I'm sure I missed some but is 2 weeks long enough to give the Weed Killer to work?

What brand did you use? Was it pre-mixed or Concentrate? This time of the year I don't think it works as fast since it's cooler out.

Originally Posted by JC1
Warstud said:

Originally Posted by JC1
What brand did you use? Was it pre-mixed or Concentrate?
Ortho Weed-B-Gone Concentrate

Last edited:
I have had to respray dollar weed 3x for that stuff to work - I'd also avoid the drip line radius on trees.

The broadleaf killers can be so slow or ineffective that in bad cases I just used Roundup and bought some new sod.

If weed killer works the same way as general defoliant, it could take a long while for the plant to die. General defoliants work by preventing the plant from being able to absorb water. If it's hot outside, the plant will wilt/die faster than if it's not hot. In cooler weather, the plant does not need to pull-in water and thus, will take longer to wilt/die.

Ray

The instructions on the Wilson brand Weed Out say the weeds need to be actively growing. "Actively growing" in Michigan in October might not be enough. Here's a few pics of the bottle.

E939E866-039D-4EB4-BC53-765FC42BECC3.jpeg

7C97A4ED-E234-4AEB-A994-CAF3AF44D6EB.jpeg

Interesting, yeah, 2 weeks you should have seen something.
Defective product? Application?

I really like this stuff ... Bayer Advance Season long Weed Control, it comes in concentrate and also premixed with a sprayer.

Some others may not know, here in a more southern state, weeds will grow in winter as the ground doesn't freeze for more then a night or two, add to that, the southern grasses do not grow until soil temps are above 50 degrees but weeds will grow with it colder, which is pretty much all winter long.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by doitmyself
Originally Posted by atikovi
Why really bother this time of year? Growing season pretty much over now that far north.

Most of the broadleaf lawn weeds are perennial. Fall is the best time to apply herbicide because the plants are moving carbohydrates down to the roots and the herbicide will travel there also. Because top growth is limited during the cool fall weather, it appears that the weeds are not dying after a broadleaf herbicide app.. Be patient.

Yep 100% correct. I'm a farmer and we ONLY spray our perennial weeds right before 1st fall frost. This is the only way you can kill the deep rooted perennials.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back