High Oil Consumption need help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Tjbouwhu
Originally Posted by Oro_O
Every two weeks I check my dipstick it is at the half mark.

Sounds like a lot of Toyota and Honda engines I know...

Interesting, I have owned (8) Honda and (3) Toyota automobiles going back to 1983 and have not experienced oil consumption issues in any of them?

OP - for the reasons mentioned above, try running it with the oil level between low and high and see if it continues to drop. I had an issues once, believe it was a Honda (?), where the low and high marks on the oil dip stick did not match up with the actual oil sump level...between the low and high marks was actually full.

I think it just depends - I have owned two Honda's and one Toyota (Lexus LS460) - and with the Honda's both of them were great up until one of them reached really high mileage (over 250,000 miles). As for the Lexus, that car started really drinking oil when it reached 150,000 miles and just got worse and worse until I finally traded it in at 178,000 miles. Right now I have a 2018 Chevy Silverado and that thing has used a little oil since day one and I expect it'll get much worse as it ages and the miles really pile up.

To the OP, what brands of oil are you using and what weight (besides the 20w-50)? Where in the Carribean are you and what does oil cost per Liter or Jug? Do you do your own oil changes?
Are there are noticeable leaks on the engine or it's just losing oil?

Originally Posted by JLTD
I've had a couple engines that did this, too. Just had to watch it closely for a few hundred miles...

Yep, me too. '77 Chevy 350 engine. Would immediately drop to mid point on the dip stick and stay there forever.

Do diesel flush, check the gaskets, run some synthetic oil with a high dose of ester in it to fix/swell seals. And if none of that works, then keep it topped up!

Can u you tell me about any oil brands that contains ester?

Originally Posted by Tjbouwhu

Interesting, I have owned (8) Honda and (3) Toyota automobiles going back to 1983 and have not experienced oil consumption issues in any of them?

OP - for the reasons mentioned above, try running it with the oil level between low and high and see if it continues to drop. I had an issues once, believe it was a Honda (?), where the low and high marks on the oil dip stick did not match up with the actual oil sump level...between the low and high marks was actually full.

Gonna try this...for this upcoming week with a quart of oil in my trunk for standby

Originally Posted by JC1
To the OP, what brands of oil are you using and what weight (besides the 20w-50)? Where in the Carribean are you and what does oil cost per Liter or Jug? Do you do your own oil changes?
Are there are noticeable leaks on the engine or it's just losing oil?

Ok I have used all of the following

Shelix Helix 10w-30
Honda Synthetic Blend 10w-30
Honda Full Synthetic 10w-30
Galaxy Synthetic Blend 20w-50
Valvoline Maxlife 10w-40
Valvoline Maxlife 20w-50

And the oil level still dropped also located in Jamaica and where temperatures or an average 30 degrees celcius/ 86 degrees fahrenheit. Now am considering to use valvoline conventional oil or mobil special synthetic blend 10w-30 cause only thing 20w-50 do is burn more gas. Oil cost an average $5-$10 US

No leaks, tried many oils, Henus has tried all the usual things people do that know engines, so now its just a test to see if the oil level keeps dropping.
If it does keep dropping down from the half-way point on the dipstick, then the rings might be gummed up, and Valvoline Premium Blue Restore 10w30 might be needed. Its the only thing I know of to clean rings.

Auto-RX (.com) is the best choice for ring pack free-up or clean-up. I've used it over many years, and have had it restore compression on a low cylinder on an old Subaru. It works well, safely, and gradually, and unless I'm mistaken Frank's people will mail it to Jamaica.

Originally Posted by paoester
Originally Posted by Henus
Always top it up once it reaches there never observed to see if it gets lower. And never yet observed bubbles.
It might stop going down at the halfway point. Maybe! I remember Nissan told their GTR owners a while back to always race the car with oil halfway on the dipstick, not full, since they saw it sloshed too much and consumed more oil the more full it was.

No you really should consider this, too.

I have a '91 Audi, have had it 20 years. The first 2 years of the production with the new V8 engine, the factory spec'd 10.5 quarts (that's a lot of oil for a 3.6L sump!) and the dipstick was calibrated for that. The oil would disappear and it was about 2 quarts to top it off from the bottom of the dipstick to the Full mark. Eventually, people realized if they stopped topping it off, it stopped consuming oil. The pan was over-full in reality and crankshaft windage was aerating oil and causing it to burn. Eventually they just changed the sump spec to 8.5 quarts, lengthened and changed the dipstick, and the problem went away.

I have a '91 Audi, have had it 20 years. The first 2 years of the production with the new V8 engine, the factory spec'd 10.5 quarts (that's a lot of oil for a 3.6L sump!) and the dipstick was calibrated for that. The oil would disappear and it was about 2 quarts to top it off from the bottom of the dipstick to the Full mark. Eventually, people realized if they stopped topping it off, it stopped consuming oil. The pan was over-full in reality and crankshaft windage was aerating oil and causing it to burn. Eventually they just changed the sump spec to 8.5 quarts, lengthened and changed the dipstick, and the problem went away.
Great post! Never heard of that particularly egregious case. Windage barriers under the crankshaft have to handle drain-down, with some small openings, and it seems some sumps slosh it around too much and upward. This is gong to vary a lot based on specific engine designs of course. ------> Makes the case for dry sumps!

Thanks all for your advice. I plan on using the auto rx/ valvoline restore blue next oil change. However i loved using shell helix but its no longer available on the market in Jamaica. Which oil do you recommend me to keep topping up with if it goes below the half way mark:

Valvoline Conventional 10w-30
Mobil Special 10w-30
Chevron Supreme 10w-30
Formula Shell (Clean engine Formula 10w-30)

Which is best to use in u guy's opinion?

Good day everyone,

So I did a fresh oil test this morning. The oil was at the halfway mark, surprisingly when i pulled the dipstick there was a little bit of bubbles there...think its due to early morning condensation. However am watching my oil level very keenly.

Will keep you guys updated thanks for the advice. Will be doing a Oil change in Christmas or January.

Good day all,

Its now the end of week 3 not topping up yet. Here is how the dipstick looks.

[Linked Image]

Mobil Special 10w-30
Chevron Supreme 10w-30

I experienced some consumption while using Mobil conventioanal that the car didn't consume while using Valvoline. So I just stayed with that. The Chevron and Formual Shell are also good choices.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
Mobil Special 10w-30
Chevron Supreme 10w-30

I experienced some consumption while using Mobil conventioanal that the car didn't consume while using Valvoline. So I just stayed with that. The Chevron and Formual Shell are also good choices.

Thanks was kinda shakey with mobil

My wife's old Chrysler 4.0 mini van would do the same thing. It'd burn a half quart and then never a drop after. I've been adding a half quart to an 09 Nissan 2.5 every 700 miles for the last 100k. I'm gonna see if it will hold it level of half way up the dipstick or continue using more.

So i guess its time again to top up...End of week 4. Seems it keeps going down after the half way mark so only think left to do is to use auto rx or valvoline blue restore

[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back