What were they thinking? Toyota

Status
Not open for further replies.
The non operational air vents extending diagonally below the rear tail light section of the new Camry. When I first saw one of those cars in town from a distance, I thought there was something wrong with the car. They look like deep black knife cuts into the rear bumper. Looking at them up close in a parking lot, I can see that they're magnets for hard water spots. People don't seem to mind though, since they're such hot sellers.

[Linked Image from content.autotrader.com]

Have you not seen the blocked off 2nd tailpipe on the 4 bangers? If you at the right level you can see the blockoff plate to the 2nd tailpipe, these are the ones with the two tailpipes on the right side.

But back to your ? - I assumed these were the exits for the rear wheel air curtains. Are they really just fake?

Originally Posted by pezzy669
Have you not seen the blocked off 2nd tailpipe on the 4 bangers? If you at the right level you can see the blockoff plate to the 2nd tailpipe, these are the ones with the two tailpipes on the right side.

But back to your ? - I assumed these were the exits for the rear wheel air curtains. Are they really just fake?

I looked at them up close. They have the fin supports of an air vent, but no openings for airflow.

Speaking of fake exhaust tips...

2020 Explorer fake exhaust tips

They are there to vent of excessive heat during track days.
Of course they are fake.

Originally Posted by edyvw

Of course they are fake.

I wasn't think brake venting - the aerodynamic enhancing wheel air curtains was my thought. You can find them on pretty much every BMW, bunch of Hyundai and Kia's, etc.

While I love Hondas and Toyotas, I fine the current Accord and Camry hideous.
But I am sure from a reliability standpoint they are as good as it gets. And will hold their value...
Speaking of fake, my friends gorgeous BMW i8 has engine sounds that come out the stereo.

Originally Posted by edyvw

Of course they are fake.

I wasn't think brake venting - the aerodynamic enhancing wheel air curtains was my thought. You can find them on pretty much every BMW, bunch of Hyundai and Kia's, etc.

LOL I was joking. I seriously do not care what they are. They are ridiculously designed. I am not sure what is the point. The people who buy these cars would buy today 1999 Camry design with no problems.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
While I love Hondas and Toyotas, I fine the current Accord and Camry hideous.
But I am sure from a reliability standpoint they are as good as it gets. And will hold their value...
Speaking of fake, my friends gorgeous BMW i8 has engine sounds that come out the stereo.

Most cars today have engine sound that comes out of stereo. It is consequence of forced induction. It appeals to people who buy cars for neighbors to look at them. BMW moved to ceramic brake pads bcs. customers did not want dust. That should tell you enough who are buyers.

Last edited:
They were thinking, we are going to sell a bunch of these. Probably right.

Originally Posted by Bud
They were thinking, we are going to sell a bunch of these. Probably right.

Again, they would sell it without these ridiculous stuff. Average buyer of Camry cares about it as much as he/she cares about microwave oven and then there are those Camry buyers that are with one foot in the grave.

Another weekend Toyota bash fest with the head basher too.

They will sell plenty of these. People want reliability.

most cars today DON'T look good + fake this + that for looks + lots of "gadgets" that break is common. due to EPA + government REAL cars are gone forever! sure some perform good but not much style for sure!!!

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
I think that black painted roof looks absolutely wretched.

Yeah, I don't get the black roof thing, especially on family sedan type cars. Won't that just make the interior hotter? And I personally don't think it's aesthetically pleasing on sedans, but I guess it's "sporty."

I'm pretty sure they are not fake air vents, but rather vortex generators. Toyota is big on this to improve air flow around and under the vehicle. And also to reduce wind noise. My 2018 has them, along with bumps molded into the tail lights and door mounted rear view mirrors. Much like these on the Prius.

The entire undercarriage is covered in smooth pans and covers, in order to prevent interrupted air flow under the vehicle. I have to remove part of it to access the oil drain plug and oil filter. You have to remember, these companies are trying to achieve fractions of a mile per gallon in fuel efficiency. Every little bit helps.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by PimTac

Black roof Camry is for the "like grounded to the ground crowd," not the "Toyota lasts forever" crowd. This is the Sports Addition...sports trim keeps it grounded to the ground.
grin.gif

Originally Posted by 01rangerxl
Originally Posted by PimTac

Black roof Camry is for the "like grounded to the ground crowd," not the "Toyota lasts forever" crowd. This is the Sports Addition...sports trim keeps it grounded to the ground.
grin.gif

I wasn't thinking of the roof but since you brought it up it seems to be the latest design fad. Floating roof or black roof, it's not my style either but is it a Deal breaker ? Nope.

I agree with bilit460, these designs all have a purpose. Bumps, creases, and the rest are more for efficiency and aerodynamics versus styling.

Another point, it wasn't all that long ago that people complained that the Camry was getting long in the tooth, some calling it a old person's car. Toyota has been redesigning the car to appeal to younger consumers. The trick is to not alienate the older buyers or make the design polarizing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back