44.5K 2 Year Prime Guard cut open NSFBitog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello to all. My 1st cut open.
Details.
2013 Nissan Altima Currently 154k last OFL 109k. 10/23/2017 This car was equipped with a functioning OLM (5k OCI)
Verified 44,474 miles 2 year OCI
Prime Guard POF4612 (It's mine as we mark w/ permanent marker)
Sunoco Ultra Synth 0w20
SAE 0W-20: API SN Plus • ILSAC GF-5 • GM dexos1™ Gen 2 • Ford WSS-M2C947-A • Ford WSS-M2C947-B1 • Daimler Chrysler MS-6395 • Foreign & Domestic vehicles specifying 0W-20, GM vehicles previously requiring dexos1® 5W-20

No oil reading on dipstick prior to draining. Lots of smoke/vapors from oil fill hole.
No noticeable/unusual engine noise. Unsure if low oil warning light were on prior to draining.
Filter media was hard and brittle. Pleats were sludge filled. Pretty sure in bypass mode.
Residual oil had elmers glue like consistency. Two noticeable tears 1 in pic. ABV was also
hard/brittle. The screwdriver was used to remove/show sludge between folds in media.
Enjoy

F1.jpg

F2.jpg

F3.jpg

F4.jpg

F5.jpg

F6.jpg

F7.jpg

Ugh! That's one ugly looking filter. I know, Captain Obvious, but still. The sludge has nothing to do with the filter. It's called neglect. Why such a long oci/fci? Almost looks like bypass either completely open, or missing? Amazing the engine still functioning.

Is the BPV built into the leafspring?
Not according to google image search of topic filter. There's a bitog pic entry that clearly show the bypass built into dome, very clear. Can't see it clearly on bitog though because photobucket has blurred pics now. I don't remember PG filters having/using flat spring with bypass combo.

Yes.
We see some crazy OCIs.
I'll try a bit harder to post some of the filters.
I wonder what an UOA would show.

Originally Posted by MrQuackers
Customer's car?

Yuck!
crazy2.gif

Anyway, thank you for the cut and post
thumbsup2.gif

Does Nissan actually use a real OLM? Or is it just a mileage counter?

A Fram Ultra or Wix XP could've probably handled that long OCI with no problem
27.gif

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Yes isn't that just an example of great car care. LOL

[Linked Image]

01.gif

Been thinking, this filter anecdote reminds of an OF one might find on a vehicle of a "former" member here, GHT. He hung in Jersey a lot too. Perhaps he brought the vehicle in for service.
56.gif

Wonder how long it will take for the next filter to look like this ? If there is sludge in the filter, there is sludge in the engine ...

Might want to do a couple filter swaps over the next interval. Or not. Car might not have much life left in it.

high cholesterol. LOL!!! Heart attach waiting to happen. What ddi the previous OCIs look like. was this the first time for this?

Might be a real case for Amsoil and a synthetic filter. not now but after you run some engine flush through there and clean out some of the loose gunk.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
Been thinking, this filter anecdote reminds of an OF one might find on a vehicle of a "former" member here, GHT. He hung in Jersey a lot too. Perhaps he brought the vehicle in for service.
56.gif

Big assumption his car ran for two years and over 44k miles :p

Why's it always seem to be a Nissan or FCA product that's maintained (well not so much) like this?

Originally Posted by Ursatdx
Residual oil had elmers glue like consistency.

Increases KV100 HTHS.
lol.gif

Lucky that engine didn't self destruct. Probably caues a lot of undue wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back