Honda GS190?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased a new lawn toy today with a Honda GS190 engine. I known that the GC series is basically consumer grade, and that the GX series is commercial grade. Where does this leave the GS series? Just curious...

Originally Posted by bubbatime
Its a slightly upscale GC. Pretty decent. What mower comes with a GS engine? I've never seen them in use on a mower.
It's a Billy Goat leaf vacuum.

[Linked Image from skiesunlimited.com]

Iron sleeve, ball bearing vs bushing on the flywheel side of crank, and supposed to be an aluminum cam cover vs the stamped steel one on the GC series.

Originally Posted by typ901
https://engines.honda.com/models/series/gs
Thanks typ901. I had never heard of this series, but should have just searched for it vs. "Honda GC vs GS vs GX." Perhaps I have too much faith in Google?
Originally Posted by punisher
Iron sleeve, ball bearing vs bushing on the flywheel side of crank, and supposed to be an aluminum cam cover vs the stamped steel one on the GC series.
Thanks punisher. The iron sleeve had caught my attention as being something above and beyond the GC series. I am happy to report that it is a very smooth running engine that starts easily and is relatively quiet for its size. I feel pretty safe in assuming that there is a good NGK plug in it already, as opposed to the Chinese Torch brand plugs in the last three pieces of OPE I've purchased.

Thus far I am impressed with the performance of this machine. The volume reduction is substantial. I would say that it is as good if not better when running over fresh leaves than what I used to get with my older Craftsman leaf vac AFTER having first chopped them up with the mower. This machine also sucks up the outer hulls of hickory nuts, which are a real problem in sections of my lawn. Thus far I have not tried the chipper chute.

The manual is old school, recommending the first oil change after five hours. Based upon the volume reduction and bag size, that might just complete the leaf season. The manual calls for 10W-30. I plan to put it away for the winter with a fresh fill of Mobil1 10W-30 HM for its 3.5 HTHS viscosity. This oil is serving me well in other OPE applications, although I also use T6 5W-40 in other OPE applications. Somehow I've just never been able to see a reason to put an XW-40 in a real Honda motor. Chondas, yes; Hondas, no.

I won't have a GC anymore. We wore one out fairly quickly that was used as a generator for a grain auger. It ran well and smoothly until it slung a rod one day. The GX is a juggernaut. GS looks good too.

My GC 160 has been going strong for 11 years. Ran Amsoil small engine for a while and now Rotella 10W30. The last few years I've made my own ethanol free fuel and it loves it.

*I use M1 10W30 in my Honda Lawn Mower - never considered using M1 10W30 HM ... How did you come about this choice ?
Originally Posted by Astro_Guy
Originally Posted by typ901
https://engines.honda.com/models/series/gs
Thanks typ901. I had never heard of this series, but should have just searched for it vs. "Honda GC vs GS vs GX." Perhaps I have too much faith in Google?
Originally Posted by punisher
Thanks punisher. The iron sleeve had caught my attention as being something above and beyond the GC series. I am happy to report that it is a very smooth running engine that starts easily and is relatively quiet for its size. I feel pretty safe in assuming that there is a good NGK plug in it already, as opposed to the Chinese Torch brand plugs in the last three pieces of OPE I've purchased.

Thus far I am impressed with the performance of this machine. The volume reduction is substantial. I would say that it is as good if not better when running over fresh leaves than what I used to get with my older Craftsman leaf vac AFTER having first chopped them up with the mower. This machine also sucks up the outer hulls of hickory nuts, which are a real problem in sections of my lawn. Thus far I have not tried the chipper chute.

The manual is old school, recommending the first oil change after five hours. Based upon the volume reduction and bag size, that might just complete the leaf season. The manual calls for 10W-30. I plan to put it away for the winter with a fresh fill of Mobil1 10W-30 HM for its 3.5 HTHS viscosity. This oil is serving me well in other OPE applications, although I also use T6 5W-40 in other OPE applications. Somehow I've just never been able to see a reason to put an XW-40 in a real Honda motor. Chondas, yes; Hondas, no.

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
*I use M1 10W30 in my Honda Lawn Mower - never considered using M1 10W30 HM ... How did you come about this choice ?

Probably because its an air cooled engine, and the 3.5 HTHS number is a decent spec to have. Basically, the HM oil is more robust and thicker, at temp.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
Originally Posted by ChrisD46
Probably because its an air cooled engine, and the 3.5 HTHS number is a decent spec to have. Basically, the HM oil is more robust and thicker, at temp.
Correct; that's why I use it in a lot of my OPE.

Ive have one on a 67 John Deere model 60 im restoring. Had to repower it because the Tecumpseh vh60 and parts no longer exists.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Never seen such a small engine (190cc) on a bigger riding mower like that before. Interesting. I wouldn't think it would have enough power to drive it around AND power a lawn mower deck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back