Premium gas for Skyactive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
RayCJ's comment pretty much covers the range. Mazda does a lot of things to boost fuel economy and also engine efficiency. The SkyActiv engine is one of the most efficient engines out there. The new Toyota Dynamic Force engines have a lot of Mazda DNA in them.

The simple act of injecting fuel right before top dead center is old thinking. Mazda uses fuel to cool the combustion chamber as well as multiple fuel injection patterns depending on the needs of the vehicle.

Search for Dave Coleman Mazda on YouTube. There is a ton of info regarding the technology and engineering behind all this.

Originally Posted by spasm3
Originally Posted by bbhero
Would you know how they managed to run a motor that is 13:1 compression on 87 effectively ??

ECM... Have a lot to do with that I am guessing... What else??

I am just curious how they could do that... And I think maybe you would have a good answer.

I thought that was the whole premise of direct injection. Higher compression ratios. Low octane and high compression in a non di engine results in pre-ignition. But if the fuel is not there it can't pre-ignite. Its injected just before top dead center and right before the combustion event.

You're thinking diesel.

Originally Posted by PimTac
RayCJ's comment pretty much covers the range. Mazda does a lot of things to boost fuel economy and also engine efficiency. The SkyActiv engine is one of the most efficient engines out there. The new Toyota Dynamic Force engines have a lot of Mazda DNA in them.

The simple act of injecting fuel right before top dead center is old thinking. Mazda uses fuel to cool the combustion chamber as well as multiple fuel injection patterns depending on the needs of the vehicle.

Search for Dave Coleman Mazda on YouTube. There is a ton of info regarding the technology and engineering behind all this.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by spasm3
Would you know how they managed to run a motor that is 13:1 compression on 87 effectively ??

I am just curious how they could do that... And I think maybe you would have a good answer.

I thought that was the whole premise of direct injection. Higher compression ratios. Low octane and high compression in a non di engine results in pre-ignition. But if the fuel is not there it can't pre-ignite. Its injected just before top dead center and right before the combustion event.

You're thinking diesel.

Maybe so.

Thanks for the you tube info PimTac. I found some of his videos, interesting.

Anytime spasm3.

Another YouTube source is Motoman. Dave Coleman appears on some of the Mazda videos on that channel too.

I look at it this way. Don't think of it as a engine with a computer attached to run it but instead it's a computer with a engine attached.

Everything is computerized these days. The days of direct human intervention in driving are waning. Drive by wire, throttle by wire, the computer has the final say. Of course, it's all seamless to the driver.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PimTac

I look at it this way. Don't think of it as a engine with a computer attached to run it but instead it's a computer with a engine attached.

Everything is computerized these days. The days of direct human intervention in driving are waning. Drive by wire, throttle by wire, the computer has the final say. Of course, it's all seamless to the driver.

In another current thread, I commented that my car's transmission management and fuel economy beats me every time. It has two modes; normal and sport and in either mode, I can let the computer do the shifting or do it myself. On the street, in sport mode it beats me in 0-60 times -every time. In normal mode it gets better tank fuel economy than me -every time. I've driven more miles with stick-shift cars than automatics -and darn it, this car is kicking my butt every time.

I will say though, I took this car for a track day and did half the laps in automatic mode... I preferred manual mode on the track -hands down.

I drove a 2014 Mazda3 with the 2.5 exclusively on 87 (minus one month) for 60K miles and sold it to a family member who has continued to run it on 87 for an additional 40k miles....it runs like new. It's a very robust engine IMO. The few times I ran higher octane I couldn't tell the difference. I even ran 93 for a month while driving 240miles per day round trip and noted no difference in performance or fuel economy (company was paying for fuel so I figured who cares).

Last edited:

Volcano top pistons, forged crank, very very good ECU, direct injection, keeping the valves VERY hot so as not to get build-up on them. mazda put a TON of tech into their SA series engines. It made my LS7 and VQ37's look primitive, lol!

Makes sense ^^^...
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back