Have to drive car with low compression across the country...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a 2014 Kia Soul with 130k miles and the rings are extremely worn and it is virtually undrivable without an oil additive. I need to drive it from Illinois to the southwest, if it's possible to do safely, where I can then rebuild the engine. What approach should I take to try and get the compression up so that it can sustain 21 hours of driving? I've watched videos on Resolve, Miracle Mystery Oil, and Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer, with positives to each.

I would like to avoid towing it or shipping it, as both are costly in multiple ways (and of course driving it, but only making it half way would be costly too.)

When I get there I will find out how low the compression is, but with Lucas currently in it, it still has difficulty driving above 40mph, but is drivable up to that speed and doesn't lose oil.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by Tralever
When I get there I will find out how low the compression is, but with Lucas currently in it, it still has difficulty driving above 40mph, but is drivable up to that speed and doesn't lose oil. Thanks.

At that speed, using the Interstate highway system is out. All you'll do is cause accidents, and / or collect tickets. And if it's that sick, I don't see how it will last if you take stop and go surface routes. Where exactly are you headed? Illinois, (Chicago), to Albuquerque is around 1,340 miles. That is approximately 21 hours at Interstate speeds. 21 hours X 40 MPH = only 840 miles. I would be figuring out a way to tow it. You'll live longer.... And so will the car.

A 5 year old car with 130k has a worn out engine? What's the story here? Extremely poor maintenance or overheated?

The OP might be making a wrong assumption.There could be something wrong with the fuel system like the fuel pump.

If it can't handle speeds above 40mph then I question its ability to make trip at all. But I agree, maybe something else is amiss. How much oil is it really using?

Restore oil additive in the silver can... Try that. But are you sure it's got bad compression? I really doubt a modern car with only 130k is ready for the junkyard...

Originally Posted by skyactiv
The OP might be making a wrong assumption.There could be something wrong with the fuel system like the fuel pump.

That. If the compression is low enough it won't top 40MPH, the engine should be trailing a cloud of smoke vaguely reminiscent of a coal-powered battle cruiser and burning oil on the level of 100 miles to the quart.

I would bet it is a plugged cat. converter.

I have driven cars that are worn out and low on power. Highway speeds were not the issue.

Need a few more details. Weigh all the costs and risks of limping a distance almost half the country's width.

Time for a tow vehicle and the You-Haul low trailer which goes under the front wheels. They still allow that on the Interstates, no?

It would be funny if all the OP had wrong was a triggered mechanical limp-home gizmo.

Originally Posted by Tralever
When I get there I will find out how low the compression is
Why bother, you already know it's the rings without even diagnosing it. Either x-ray vision or old man diagnostics from the couch.

Originally Posted by Mainia
Sorry, NO WAY are the rings worn out. There is something else wrong.

This. If the rings were that bad at 130k, the engine would be a total mess, from the bearings to the timing chain, to the oil pump. There's nothing that kills rings in 130k that leaves the rest of the engine alone. Worn rings that simply lower compression typically comes from slow wear that occurs over a LONG period of time. The engine just wears out with a LOT of use, and that just doesn't happen in 130k miles. Extreme, fast wear that trashes rings in 130k will result in everything else being trashed (arguably quicker than the rings or cylinder wall) and results in an engine that will not drive 500 miles, let alone 1500!

Doesn't past the smell test!

Originally Posted by Mainia
Sorry, NO WAY are the rings worn out. There is something else wrong.

Originally Posted by zfasts03
I would bet it is a plugged cat. converter.
I have driven cars that are worn out and low on power. Highway speeds were not the issue.
+2
A burned exhaust valve will cause low comression on that cylinder, and will also cause the cat to plug, as will running the car with a missfire. Is the check engine light on (or has it been on)? If so, what codes are stored?
A quick and dirty way to check for a plugged cat is with a vacuum gauge.

Right!
I agree with the others. Make sure your engine does indeed have low compression instead of something else that is causing it to perform poorly. You don't want to start adding chemicals/additives if you don't have to.

If there is in fact blow by, these additives can cause premature catalytic converter failure. Maybe this is what your experiencing(Cat failure) by compensating with some oils have have high(er) ZINC levels. By trying to compensate for scored piston walls, these additives blow by and pollute the Cat. Conv.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back