Oil recommendation for my flat tappet cam?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If 10W40 QS Defy and Mobil HM 10W40 are serving you well, I don't personally see a need to switch to a different brand.

I'm not familiar with your particular motor, but I have a flat tappet cam in my stock 97' Ford 460. I've used Mobil 1 HM 5W30 for quite a few years and my motor is still "Strong like Bull!"
grin.gif

When Mobil changed the HM 5W30 to an SN rating, I was concerned about lowered ZDDP. The most common answer I received here was the spring pressures on my particular motor aren't enough to require extra ZDDP levels.

I then asked my Mechanic, who told me he has 3 or 4 other regular customers with 460s, that all have over 200,000 miles on their motors. The most economical oil he offers to his customers is VWB, and that's what each owner has been using in their motors for years and years, without an issue.

The 460 is a great motor. I almost got an 87 motorhome with one running great but it needed unforseen work for a safety. I believe it's the same situation as my 76 350 Oldsmobile v8. It is fine with lower zddp levels. I use whatever full synthetic is on sale in mine, usually movil 1 lately.

Thanks for all the input. I think I'm going to try the Castrol Edge 0w40 and a motorcraft FL300 filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back