Chevy dealer, 7 free oil changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!

Bought an Impala w/ the 3.6L. It has 35k miles, I got an oil change done today. I asked what oil they used, but they replied with "full syn, dexos approved blah blah".

I'm sure its Mobil 1, looking at the part no. they used its 88865635 & of course an AC Delco oil filter. Are there any negatives to the free oil changes from the dealer?

I was going to install a fumuto valve and just do them myself.

In my opinion, there's never anything wrong with free oil changes, other than the loss of fulfillment you have when doing your own. However, some of us are unable to do car maintenance (health, neighborhood, etc.), so, having a shop do it is sometimes a necessity.

I just bought my Altima last week with an extended warranty, which includes lifetime oil changes. As long as they're using a great oil, I have no issues.

Bottom line is this: There is no such thing as a free oil change.
You paid for them. May as well use 'em up.

If the dealer does your oil changes, there can be no disputes about lack of oil maintenance in the event an engine problem arises. The only down-sides are the scheduling of your time and the time it takes them to do it. Sometimes the oil changes are performed by low-paid, inexperienced staff and once in a while they bungle the job by stripping or, over/under tightening the drain plug or filter or, filling the crankcase with ATF. All of these problems have been reported here...

I prefer doing them myself and in 45 years, have only had a shop do it twice in my life -both times, they were told not to change the oil but did anyhow...

Originally Posted by Zacc
Hello!

Bought an Impala w/ the 3.6L. It has 35k miles, I got an oil change done today. I asked what oil they used, but they replied with "full syn, dexos approved blah blah".

I'm sure its Mobil 1, looking at the part no. they used its 88865635 & of course an AC Delco oil filter. Are there any negatives to the free oil changes from the dealer?

I was going to install a fumuto valve and just do them myself.

I'd take full advantage of the free changes myself. The oil, whatever they used (and it may well have been AC Delco) is perfectly fine and suitable for your engine since it's dexos approved. If it's Mobil 1, even better.

To be honest, there's not really going to be any noticable difference in your engine, even over it's entire life, between gold laced unicorn blood and the cheapest possible Dex1 certified oil. They will both work, otherwise GM wouldn't have certified them.

The free changes save you money, they use perfectly fine parts and it's nice to have the definitive maintenence records when you go to sell the car. The reason dealerships give those out is because they hope if you come in enough for oil changes, you'll buy a new car from them.

Originally Posted by Tdbo
Bottom line is this: There is no such thing as a free oil change.
You paid for them. May as well use 'em up.

Exactly.

I used the 5 included changes (not free, as mentioned above, you pay for them one way or another) with my Scion. I went in every 6 months (3000-5000 miles) and had it done.
Twice I had them fix some minor warranty issues, but each time they washed and vacuumed the vehicle, so was actually nice.
They used TGMO and OEM filters, so I know it was done with good stuff, and no ill effects from it.

It was weird not doing the changes, but not a huge deal. I would walk around the dealership looking at new vehicles, went on a test drive or two as well.

Originally Posted by littlehulkster
... The reason dealerships give those out is because they hope if you come in enough for oil changes, you'll buy a new car from them.

And for the up-sell of repairs (needed or not unfortunately for some dealerships).

Tell them that if they're willing to skip the free oil changes and let you kick their head service advisor in the jimmy, twice, you will call it even and go on about your rat killing, leaving them to do the same.

Originally Posted by RayCJ

If the dealer does your oil changes, there can be no disputes about lack of oil maintenance in the event an engine problem arises. The only down-sides are the scheduling of your time and the time it takes them to do it. Sometimes the oil changes are performed by low-paid, inexperienced staff and once in a while they bungle the job by stripping or, /i]over/under tightening the drain plug or filter or, filling the crankcase with ATF. All of these problems have been reported here...[i
I prefer doing them myself and in 45 years, have only had a shop do it twice in my life -both times, they were told not to change the oil but did anyhow...

This is definitely something to consider, if you think the dealer shop appears professional then go ahead, if not walk away.

Last edited:
I had 2 free oil changes with one of my Jeeps, I told my dealer to keep them. After changing my father's oil yesterday and seeing how tight his drain plug was, that I had to slip a pipe over the wrench, telling the dealer to keep the oil changes was a wise move. Too many horror stories here about dealers and local shops screwing up an oil change. There are certainly some great techs working at dealerships, trust me they aren't doing the free oil changes.

took my daughters hyundai to the dealer to change oil. usually i do this stuff myself,but i want to have record for warranty purpose. they changed it ,but while doing so left oil stains on the arm rest and seat. to their credit they did a complete interior detail so they made it right.

one thing about letting someone else do an oil change is my paranoia about if they really changed the oil filter. got burned once at a honda dealer that charged for the filter ,but did not change it. how do i know? it was the same store brand filter and not a honda oem that they would use as a dealer. realized it only at the next oil change .

i usual consider free oil changes as foot in the door models. they get you in the door with it and attempt to sell you other stuff.

Originally Posted by WhyMe

i usual consider free oil changes as foot in the door models. they get you in the door with it and attempt to sell you other stuff.

For sure! My son bought an new Hyundai in August 2018. Unfortunately he is on the other side of the country, and due to his schedule doesn't have the time, space, or desire to change his oil. He got his first oil change free at the dealer, and went there for the second and third. He's paying rip off prices and the female service writer told him at 20K miles he's due for a 20K service, cost $400 and if he doesn't do the work it will void his warranty. He laughed at her, told her to read the owners manual, and that he'd be finding someone else to service the vehicle. He does listen to me when it comes to maintaining his cars, I warned him this sales pitch was coming soon. I would have thought they would have waited until they had the car in the shop at 20K or so miles before trying that up-sell. Bad move on their part.

Well, a co-worker of mine (maintenance engineer) bought a used vehicle years back because it came with "free oil changes for life"...and she was going to milk this deal for all it was worth, and then some. She commuted 40 or so miles each way to work and racked up three or four hundred thousand miles. This place wasn't using any special oil or filters. I have since retired so am not sure about the current status.

Have dealt with GM dealers last 4 years. Most have switched to 55 gallon drums of Mobil 1

Here in OK, Last year I got a $15 GMC dealer oil change coupon and the service rep told me and SHOWED me a HUGE drum of Mobil oil !!

As someone mentioned the only bonus is service record history of OCI's and if catastrophic engine failure your covered under warranty if any negligence relating to oil

Dave

My Ford leased company Transit T250 van comes with this "feature" as well-only downside is, it's taking longer & longer to get them done. The stealerships want you to schedule them days or even a week in advance, and I'm down to ONE Ford Quick Lane dealer that will do them without an appointment. That dealer has already broken parts on it due to tech incompetence!

Free oil changes from the dealer are fine as long as you can say "no" to un-necessary service they want to push. I would of refused the oil changes and asked for $15 per change back in cash. But in general....they are oil changes, don't ever-think it.

Originally Posted by GMguy84
Have dealt with GM dealers last 4 years. Most have switched to 55 gallon drums of Mobil 1

Here in OK, Last year I got a $15 GMC dealer oil change coupon and the service rep told me and SHOWED me a HUGE drum of Mobil oil !!

As someone mentioned the only bonus is service record history of OCI's and if catastrophic engine failure your covered under warranty if any negligence relating to oil

Dave

+1

I think I still have a "free" oil change left on my truck, but I doubt I'll use it...it doesn't appeal to me when you have to schedule an oil change, sit there for nearly two hours and wonder just what exactly they are putting in my truck (The Mobil 1 was extra, so who knows what house brand they threw in there?). And I know this isn't their fault but they use the post lifts on my truck and it removes the frame wax coating...compared to the drive on lift that doesn't. So I have to crawl under there after and apply undercoating..and believe me if you don't these frames rust so quickly it's shocking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back