Wix made in Korea?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up a WIX 51334 at O'Reilly's today for my KIA
First time I've seen a WIX with plastic wrap. Also, made in Korea?

IMG_20191019_155524.jpg

IMG_20191019_155506.jpg

They also make the OEM oil filter in the same factory for Hyundai/Kia. You can go to Walmart and buy the same oil filter in a Hyundai box for a few dollars less. Walmart is now selling OEM Hyundai oil filters.

Yep. Nothing new. They seem to alternate between the two styles, not sure why. Type A will be dated March, Type B April, then I'll get A dated June, then B October.
21.gif

Edit: The easy way to tell is by the top of the box. The Hyundai/Korea boxes have to be torn open, the regular ones can be flipped open.

Last edited:
Yes, they have made that filter in Korea for awhile now. Someone on here posted it a few months ago
smile.gif

Mann owns Wix now, and Mann is also the OE supplier for Hyundai and Kia oil filters. The Mann part number is W811/80

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Yes, they have made that filter in Korea for awhile now. Someone on here posted it a few months ago
smile.gif

I wonder who that was...
grin2.gif
Link

Wow... Thanks guys for all the info, part #'s and link (Tony).

I should have searched a bit more but couldn't help myself. (Thinking I found a new filter!)

- Now that I understand it better, it was apparent this filter was the last one on the shelf. Maybe it was avoided? Guess it makes sense to not make two filters etc.

Last time I purchased there I didn't see any with the sealed box. There were lots of the USA made a few months ago. Anyhow... Thanks for responding to this.

I'll use it and see what happens. Note- It does feel heavier that the normal 51334. Wish they all came with the sealed wrapper too.

Originally Posted by Ignatius
These are incredibly well made, efficiency IIRC is 20 microns @ 50%

If this is the regular Wix filter.... Which it appears to be... This one is actually 95 percent at 20 microns...

The 50 percent is for the XP filter.

Originally Posted by bbhero
Originally Posted by Ignatius
These are incredibly well made, efficiency IIRC is 20 microns @ 50%

If this is the regular Wix filter.... Which it appears to be... This one is actually 95 percent at 20 microns...

The 50 percent is for the XP filter.

+1

I tried these on my Nissan QR25DE and they didn't work well for some reason.

Tons of valvetrain noise.

Jewell like build though.

The car seemed to like Mobil1 (champion labs ) and Honda S2000.

Thinking back, I'm sure that Nissan beast had a VVT issue or an occluded oil pump pickup.

I should check carfax to see if it was warranty serviced before it possibly grenaded.

I tried these on my Nissan QR25DE and they didn't work well for some reason.....
I don't know what year and model 2.5L Nissan referenced. I do know from personal experience, the wider diameter 1334 application will not screw on a 17 Rogue 2.5L liter because of engine block and outside filter restriction ring. Imo and ime, the ~3/4" longer than 6607 (spec), 7317 application plenty enough filter for the job on the 2.5L.

According to Wix (M+H) website. There are no factories located in South Korea. A billion dollar corporation can't claim a website glitch or oversight. Disregard, yes they can.

I thought regular Wix oil filters had micron ratings 99% @ 23 microns or something similar?

Originally Posted by tony1679
Yep. Nothing new. They seem to alternate between the two styles, not sure why. Type A will be dated March, Type B April, then I'll get A dated June, then B October.
21.gif

Edit: The easy way to tell is by the top of the box. The Hyundai/Korea boxes have to be torn open, the regular ones can be flipped open.

It's definitely odd. We got a batch of the ones with the sealed boxes but now we're back to the typical stock of Wix 51334.

According to Wix (M+H) website. There are no factories located in South Korea.....
My speculation is Mann (M&H), now the Wix parent company, has a factory there. Good indication, as links show the very similar Mann made Hyun/Kia filters are made their too. The vast majority of US sold Wix labeled/Napa Gold spin on filters still made in Gastonia NC.

I suppose if one has an issue with Wix not showing a factory in S Korea, need to take up the discrepancy with parent company M&H. That said, 'imo' seems a like nitpick.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Yes, they have made that filter in Korea for awhile now. Someone on here posted it a few months ago....
The 51334, 21334 changes first posted in two threads back in January this sub-forum. Yes, old news at this point .

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4993030/new-wix-51334-design

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4977894/1

Thanks for the links Sayjac. Always good to hear opinions on this. Interesting to see how a company can label and change products at will. Looks like a really decent filter but... One would hope to see some standardization. I'm not sure which model is built better or is more efficient, but in this case not sure it matters.

I guess I'll raise another question... If you were me, would you take this filter back and exchange it for the other 51334? Or... The "XP" model.

I've used both before with the XP at 10,000 mile OCI's

I'm probably getting to main all about it's just interesting to have options...

Originally Posted by Onetor
I thought regular Wix oil filters had micron ratings 99% @ 23 microns or something similar?

95% @ 20μ would probably be on the same efficiency line as 99% @ 23μ. Companies like to use the "99% @ xx microns" efficiency because it looks/seems better.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
According to Wix (M+H) website. There are no factories located in South Korea.....
My speculation is Mann (M&H), now the Wix parent company, has a factory there. Good indication, as links show the very similar Mann made Hyun/Kia filters are made their too. The vast majority of US sold Wix labeled/Napa Gold spin on filters still made in Gastonia NC.

I suppose if one has an issue with Wix not showing a factory in S Korea, need to take up the discrepancy with parent company M&H. That said, 'imo' seems a like nitpick.

Right on sj ^^^^

I have a Napa gold 1334 filter that was made by MH in the USA and it was shrinkwrapped. I know that some older posts here going back a few years show the same filter made in SK in both wix and napa editions. I am wondering if they have the production of that filter in multiple locations since it seems to be a big volume application.

Originally Posted by JGmazda
I guess I'll raise another question... If you were me, would you take this filter back and exchange it for the other 51334? Or... The "XP" model..

The MH OEM filters for Hyundai and Kia seem to be really well constructed for an OEM filter. I personally wasn't to impressed with the XP on my eclipse due to it seeping oil and the can felt pretty flimsy. Might have been a bad one but wasn't impressed with the effiency to consider the same exact filter again. Only filter I would exchange it for would be an Hyundai/Kia OEM but I wouldn't go out of my way to exchange unless it was damaged from the factory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back