School me..1200 amp jumper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a 1200 amp portable battery jumper. Now, if i connect a low amp 12V oil pump, the kind with alligator clips you connect to a 12V battery, would it blow it up? I mean, i can connect that jumper to my seadoo which uses less amps and works fine. If I'm way off here electronically, be GENTLE!!! I mean like connect alligator clips to jumper cables and turn it on.

depends. also 1200amp jumper means nothing.. some of these companies would rate an AA battery 500 amps.

The supply needs to match the load, and vice-versa. You can't push 1200A through a load too resistive to take it. 1200A is practically laughable, that's a ton of current and so it's a peak instantaneous supply under some ideal condition.

I highly doubt that your jumper has enough ENERGY to run an oil pump for any appreciable amount of time. These things are designed to provide peak pulsed power for a few seconds, and anything else is the equivalent of a USB port 5-10W.

No you won't blow it up. Voltage pushes current through this resistive load, not the other way around, so your ~12V supply merely has to be capable of the current the load (the pump) draws at 12V. It could have infinitely high amperage and not hurt anything.

1200A is a fictitious number, years ago they would have rated (practically) the exact same jump starter pack closer to 400A but then the (insert low quality foreign country here lol) generics came along and change the game by lying about true amperage, so everyone else started using dubious rating systems too.

You can probably run the pump for quite a while from that battery pack. Something rated for 1200 faux-amps, at least from a major brand, probably has at least a 20Ah battery in it, so at least a few hours but don't drain it too low if it's lead acid or you'll hurt its lifespan.

1200 amps @ 12 volts dc is 14,400 watts (babycakes) - that's a lot of heat in a hurry
27.gif

The pack won't push 1200a into the oil pump. Think of the jump pack as a Walmart and the oil pump as a person. The oil pump goes into Walmart and buys what it needs. Walmart does not force the oil pump to buy every item. Therefore if the oil pump needs 10a of current that is all it will draw out of the 1200a reserve.

It'll work just fine.

Keep in mind that these jump boxes have a 12V 20AH battery inside them (some have 16AH batteries inside), so the capacity is not large to run significant loads for very long

Originally Posted by Chris142
It will only put out as many amps as required. Up to 1200. If your 12v accessory only uses 5a that's all it will put out.

^^that^^
How many amps a power source can deliver means nothing in your case, 12 volts DC is 12 Volts DC you can have a source capable of 12,000 amps at 12 volts, makes no difference.

Example, you plug in a 110 volt 7 watt led light bulb in your house on a 20 amp circuit, the light bulbs draws 0.0636 Amps and 7 watts even though the source can deliver 20 AMPS and 2,200 watts,

Last edited:
Originally Posted by alarmguy
Originally Posted by Chris142
It will only put out as many amps as required. Up to 1200. If your 12v accessory only uses 5a that's all it will put out.

^^that^^
How many amps a power source can deliver means nothing in your case, 12 volts DC is 12 Volts DC you can have a source capable of 12,000 amps at 12 volts, makes no difference.

Example, you plug in a 110 volt 7 watt led light bulb in your house on a 20 amp circuit, the light bulbs draws 0.0636 Amps and 7 watts even though the source can deliver 20 AMPS and 2,200 watts,

X3. It can deliver UP TO 1200 amps. The battery in your car can deliver hundreds of amps to power a high-current load like the starter. The keyless entry system is running off the same battery constantly, but it only takes a very small current (maybe 0.05 amp) because that's all it needs to power the radio receiver.

I guess I was worried that if I had hooked up the oil pump, well it's actually one of those small transfer pumps that you hook up to a battery with alligator clips, to the battery jumper and turned it on, all that juice in the jumper would then be transmitted to oil pump all at once and then ka-blooey. Good to know I can use it that way in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back