Need tires for the mustang

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter's car is in serious need of tires and I'm not sure what to get. She lives in Florida now but is moving in a few months to either Waco or college station Texas.

She is a mild driver, I would like something that will work in the weather in Texas. Quiet, good traction in rain etc is what I am looking for. 235/50r18 is the size.

Thanks

Last edited:
1) Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring is about $120 a tire, buddy that was stationed in FL needed a cheap set of tires and put them on his Avalon XLE per my recommendation and was very happy with them. Great for mild to moderate driver, excellent grip in dry and wet but they don't corner like a summer tire.

2) BF Goorich G Force Comp2 A/S about $150 a tire and are for more aggressive drivers wanting last gen Michi Pilot A/S grip on the cheap. I'm running them on my G37x and love them. They are only rated at 45k but I'm at 25k now with 60%+ remaining. They are tenacious cornering but will still allow for significant throttle steer if you have the power and suspension setup which is great for well tuned independent suspension cars, but not necessarily a + if she is a more conservative driver with a live rear axle mustang. Downsides are road noise and ice, they don't do ice or deep slush very well.

3) BF Goorich Advantage T/A Sport about $170 a tire, Grips better then the Cooper in corners, handles wet and dry just as well. More water/slush clearing depth and is much quieter. Folks have them on their Avalon and like them better then factory Michi MXM4's for what that's worth.

Personally I'd go for the Advantage T/A Sport, they are the best balanced tire for most drivers and conditions.

It's hard to have the best of everything when it come to tires. To gain in one area usually means a compromise somewhere else. Being that she has a Mustang, it's RWD and East Texas gets plenty of rain has plenty of late afternoon thunderstorms in the summer, choose something that is highly rated on wet pavement. I'd look hard at the General G-Max RS. I wouldn't buy all-season tires.

My vote would be Sumitomo HTR A/S P02 (Tirerack). I have these on my Maxima and they have exceeded my expectations on every level. The cost being on the lower side is just icing on the cake. We get a lot of mixed weather here, lots of rain, occasional ice and snow, weather runs the whole gamut. The tire is a good mix of all handling attributes. Rides well, wears well. I have about 50k on mine and expect them to reach 60k before they're due for replacement.

i have a 2015 GT with Continental extreme contact dws-06 on it.
i have around 6000 miles on them and have been very happy with them and they are 235/50/18 as well.

Seems like a great fit for the Vredestein Ultrac Satin
smile.gif

Id go for the g force comp 2s. Traction rating of AA has beenfar superior to just A in my opinion. Yes they wont last as long but i put grip and ability ahead of longevity.

That's another excellent tire I didn't think to mention in my list. I'd say they grip almost as good as the BF Goodrich Comp2 A/S's in the dry but are superior to them in the wet and snow, make a lot less noise and are less prone/willing to do a torque steer induced powerslide.

Originally Posted by GZRider
That's another excellent tire I didn't think to mention in my list. I'd say they grip almost as good as the BF Goodrich Comp2 A/S's in the dry but are superior to them in the wet and snow, make a lot less noise and are less prone/willing to do a torque steer induced powerslide.

Which tire were you referring to? Whose post?
laugh.gif
crazy2.gif

Thanks for the replies everyone

I can get the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ for 180 a tire out the door at Costco. Thoughts?

If you are not expecting to experience snow or ice , go with the AS3+ . They are top of the line for a 3 season tire, and have excellent hydroplaining resistance. The Vredestein Quatrac Pro would be my choice if you encounter snow or ice (not as good in the wet, however). That's a pretty good price from Costco.

We just replaced the tires in my wife's ecoboost with the same ones we took off of it. Goodyear f1 asymmetric a/s, in the size you mentioned. We got almost 40000 miles out of the factory set. My only complaint was that they were a little bit noisy. Wet traction was better than I expected out of these. I live close to Waco so I wouldn't worry too much about snow or ice traction. Everything here closes if it iced over.

Last edited:
We got 60k out of the OEM Goodyear but admittedly I should have replaced them 10k ago. I knew they needed to be done and I payed for it this morning.

Went to bring the car to Costco this morning and it had a flat.

Whip out the trusty compressor but I hear air escaping. Found a nail in the tread. It was a bear to get out because it kinda hooked in. I was hoping the tread would self seal enough to get to Costco but no luck. Went to AZ and picked up a plug kit. Took me a while to get the plug in but finally success, tire takes air and I make it to the shop.

One thing I did notice is that the lug nuts look like the infamous Ford ones that swell and deform. So I know I am going to get a call on that with them needing to be replaced.

[Linked Image]

So I got the dreaded call about the lug nuts. No one had them in stock except Ford. So in a jam I put the same type that failed me in the first place. 🤬

But finally success. Been a long day but tire difference is very noticeable.

See the shiny new lug nuts
[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back