Choosing a new phone

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am torn. I currently have a one plus 7pro and I've been pretty annoyed with it.
My issues are voice to text lags so bad and is unusable most of the time.
When on the phone it will randomly come on and my face will push buttons and all it does this because it doesn't turn off when it sees your face through the camera because the camera is not on the screen it's inside the phone and only comes out when needed for pictures. So it goes by the "tilt" of the phone. So if you move when on the phone all [censored] breaks loose.
Battery life is average at best and the curved screen makes it impossible to find a good screen protector for it.
There are a few other things I don't like but that's the majority.
It seems like phones went from functional to form only.
I love new tech but the darn thing needs to be a good phone first and then do other stuff well to.
I've switched back to apple many of times . I bounce around .
There are two apps I use that cannot be had on iPhone
Obd11 and Alfa obd. But I can just use an Android tablet when needed for them . I don't need them every day. I rarely use them.
I'm considering
The Google pixel 4 64gb
iPhone 11 128gb
Or Samsung s10.
I usually stay away from Samsung because I hate the interface they out over Android and all the bloatware. But id consider it if it was the over all best choice.
I look forward to everyone's recommendations.

Have an old, basic Moto E4-- HUGE battery and still going strong. Unless things have changed, Moto (other than Google) is about as close to the native Android interface as you can get. Girlfriend has a Samsung and the skinning and bloatware (always bugging her to enable parallel to Google storage)-- "stay with Samsung or lose all your docs" would drive me crazy.

For some reason I find myself with Lenovo computers (Tiny ThinkCentre with Lubuntu Mate), chromebook and phone. Probably be in trouble if they're declared an enemy to America, but gotta say I'm becoming brand loyal.

Last edited:
While I'm very happy with my iPhone 11, I can't say I'm much more happy than I was with my 7+. 10/10 is hard to beat.

But I bought an 11 because my 14 year old sister needed a phone, and I wasn't about to buy her a brand new one while I had an old one lol.

Have a couple iPX's used mainly in the states - and my old iP7 with overseas card installed -
Use a couple iPads too - chargers and lightning cables work for all of them

Use my old iP6+ like an iPod - and emergency backup phone in my truck

have been Apple since the iP4 …

I just don't like expensive cell phones.
I carry a Samsung 9 for work.
My personal phone is a Pixel 3a; I think it was $400.
I really like the Pixel; 2nd only to my old Nokia Windows phone.

I have a Samsung S8. Got it on black Friday a couple years ago. They had $350 off the $720 list price. They will probably do something similar this year. Probably why Samsung doesn't make as much money as Apple even though they sell more phones. They do a lot more discounting that Apple basically doesn't do. I think I've seen just a few buy one get one offers on the S10 right now. About half price is better than a bogo though.

Oneplus over the years has never failed to impress. Don't have the 7-Pro, but love the OS and responsiveness. Just my 0.02cts

A few months ago I purchased a BLU N1 cell phone from their web site for a total price $199.99. Has been my daily phone and am quite happy with it.

Link To Web Site

Full HD+Amoled Display. 4GB Ram. 128GB Internal Storage. Wireless charging.

Buy Apple I own some shares.
15.gif

My wife and I have always purchased new previous generation iPhones. We both currently have around 1 year old 6s. Solid reliable phones for what we need. Upgrading would be nice, but not worth the money for us.

I switched from an always Android user to my first Iphone (XS Max) last year and couldn't be happier. The interface on the Iphone is so intuitive, polished and FAST. Everything works in a sane way, as opposed to Android piling features on top of features with no rhyme or reason or thought put into it. My flagship Android devices (I've used Samsung, LG, HTC and others) usually became frustratingly slow very quickly, and after a year or so software updates all but disappeared.

I had always avoided Iphones because in my mind they were "ordinary people" phones for the tech illiterate, and always heard horror stories about the Apple app store and how you had to pay for the things you can get free on Android. I discovered that notion was unfounded after owning the device instead of just reading tech reviews online. My XS Max is about a year old now and it's still blazing fast, modern, I expect it will get me well past my usual 2 year upgrade cycle before I'm tired of it and get the itch to upgrade.

So my vote is Apple. I don't anticipate going back to Android unless there is a compelling reason to-- like a vastly superior camera, or some other important feature that Apple lacks. I have a couple gripes with my current Iphone such as lack of external storage, but they're petty things in the big picture.

I know I sound like a broken record, and repeat this a lot, but I LOVE my Essential PH-1. No, no one has ever heard of it. Yes, it's a couple year old phone. That being said, you can find ones in mint condition for around $200 and they deliver almost everything that today's phones do (except the camera, which I don't care about).

Even better? It runs TOTALLY STOCK ANDROID! Absolutely no software installed from the factory. I would seriously look on swappa, you could sell your 7pro, buy an Essential, and come out with a great phone and cash in hand.

Have an iPhone 7 (work), wife has my old work iPhone 6 (got a battery from last year's Apple battery replacement program), and my personal iPhone SE. Had to retire my perfectly fine iPhone 4 due to VZW retiring their CDMA network, unfortunately. The iPhones just work, and if in a good case, seem to soldier on indefinitely. The two 4 ones I had seemed almost indestructible, Otterbox Defender cases definitely help.

Originally Posted by madRiver
I have an iPhone 11 and cannot find a single fault with it. I am a heavy user especially for my work at IT contractor.

I'm loving my iPhone XS that I got last Christmas. I'd recommend it to anyone. I can imagine the 11 is even better. For work I have an iPhone 7, which is somewhat slower and gets hot when multitasking. So I'd say anyone looking to get a new phone should consider an 8 or higher.

That said, my wife is still fully pleased with her 6s large size, and will probably run it for another year or two. She's not a heavy user nor does she multi-task (tether, phone call and use data on the browser at the same time for example).

I have iPhone 8 Plus unlocked, it has a great battery and great camera too; needless to say, it is a breeze to use so I'd recommend iP8 Plus

I thing the new cell phone market is overrated right now, the older models are just as good, especially older iPhones

Just got an iPhone 6s, pretty happy with it. It's a bit smaller than my prior Moto G4 but if anything that is good, maybe I'll use it a bit less for surfing the web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back