Bought a used Ranger

Status
Not open for further replies.
After looking around at a lot of vehicles, I came across this one when looking at a Liberty and a Toyota Matrix. Aesthetically, it is was the best one I was looking at. I'm a little concerned over the timing chain issues on the 4.0L, but when it started up from a cold start the engine is quiet. I found the window sticker and it came with the factory tow package and hitch, 4.10 axles, and LSD. Everything works on it, but there are a few minor issues. There's a front axle seal that needs changing, I might have an oil leak on the engine, still trying to figure that one out, the driver window motor needs changing, and there seems to be a rattle someplace. So far I changed the engine oil and air filter, front diff fluid, transfer case fluid, and did a few drain and fills of the PSF reservoir. I'll change the spark plugs, trans fluid and filter, and rear diff fluid next.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

KIMG0523.JPG

KIMG0525.JPG

KIMG0524.JPG

Originally Posted by mclasser
Good looking truck! How many miles?

117K - I was really happy after learning the truck came with 4.10 axles and the limited slip diff.

A friend of mine who is a trades painter has a little Ranger as his work truck that is about that same vintage. He beats the snot out of that little truck-zero maintenance unless something breaks, it's covered in paint and overspray, never been washed, etc. It never lets him down and just keeps running.

Originally Posted by Sunnyinhollister
I came across this one when looking at a Liberty and a Toyota Matrix.

Congrats on the Ranger. Any links for the Matrix? I'm always interested in those. Thanks!

White paint is strong paint (except the bad GM paints of the '80's).
Get a little familiar with your P.A.T.S. Passive Anti-Theft System
Does the 2001 have the troublesome (crack prone) thermostat housing?
Congrats on getting limited slip.
Rear drum brakes

Solid trucks. Much better than the whatever they are selling now with the Ranger badge.

Too bad Ford didn't see the light and build a new compact truck. The new Ranger isn't much smaller than the F-150.

Originally Posted by Kira

Yes. There's an aluminum replacement.

I've heard of PATS problems, but have never had them personally. I wore out the most used original key on my 02, but that was blade wear and nothing to do with PATS.

Last edited:
They were solid trucks, you have to remember Ford literally let them sit around for years unchanged for the most part which can be a good thing as far as reliability goes. The 4.0 V6 will get the same mileage as a full size truck.

Originally Posted by Kira
White paint is strong paint (except the bad GM paints of the '80's).
Get a little familiar with your P.A.T.S. Passive Anti-Theft System
Congrats on getting limited slip.
Rear drum brakes

I have to disagree. Ford, Chevy and Dodge all had terrible white paint back in the 90's and 00's. At least around here, all the Crown Vics and Chevy pickups and Express vans are down to the primer. My Jeep is peeling bad too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back