16 Kia Sorento defender ltx?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been researching and reviewing tires for my 16 Kia Sorento Ex AWD. I've seen good reviews for the michilen defender ltx, however, I haven't seen many reviews from people who drive Kia. Costco recommended them and there is a promo. I've read they are for light truck and suv. I do not plan on towing so load bearing is not an issue. Just want to make sure I get a good tire. Would anyone recommend the defender t h over the ltx? The premier reviews say the tire will be worn after 20000. Any thoughts on the defender ltx for this type of Kia would be appreciated.

My first set of Michelins was in 1971. I've had them as original equipment on several vehicles, but never replaced them with other Michelins. They are always overpriced vs. the competition.

I think the Michelin Defender LTX is an excellent tire that has very little competition. In the past I used the original M/S, M/S 2 on my Tacoma's and 4Runner's. Currently my 2017 4Runner and my wife's Highlander have the Defender LTX. Their rain, cold weather, and dry performance are great for an All Season tire (I AM NOT COMPARING THEM TO A WINTER TIRE). They are superior to any All terrain tire I have used (BFGoodrich KO/KO2, Nitto Terra Grapplers, Goodyear Duratracs and more) in light snow, rain, and ice. Now in deep snow they aren't the greatest but I driven in many blizzards and they has always gotten me home. I know many people think Michelin's are overrated and overpriced which maybe true for some of their tires but not that one... And finally it's amazing how their performance is so consistent throughout the life of the tire. Meaning how they perform at 10k is almost identical how they perform at 70k.

I have not seen anyone put LT rated tires on a Kia crossover. Are they true LT rated, or are they P rated tires? My F150 even took P rated tires.

They should all be P rated in that size. I believe the LT versions only come in the larger sizes which are all E rated.

Sorry I realize I compared them mostly to LT tires which you would never want to use on your Kia. But the tire still speaks for itself in all honesty.

Last edited:
Well for comparison they were on my wife's 2015 Jeep Cherokee AWD. They were great all seasons in Michigan weather. When we traded it in they still looked new with 35k on them. Even our salesman asked if they were relatively new so I said yeah if it brought our trade in value up LOL.Took very little weight to balance as well, one wheel did not even require weight.

That is one of the stalwarts in the Michelin camp. I wish I could use the Defender LTX M/S in all my cars. It is THE best tire I have ever used. My son is getting them for his '09 Highlander.

The $150 off at Costco is a little misleading. They are giving you the $70 rebate (you normally can get from Michelin several times a year) up front. You are REALLY getting a true $80 discount which still is a great discount.

The Premier's I have had one two cars didn't make it to their mileage guarantee. One was within 10K and the other only lasted about 1/2. I simply got a 50% discount on my next set. I love it. I don't care if they last the guaranteed life or not. My dealer calls Michelin and they allow him to simply prorate them. I have never dealt with a company that has been so customer friendly.

I purchased my LS430 that had 2 different Michelins on them when I bought it. The previous owner didn't believe in rotation so I had 2 "new" ones and 2 half worn out. They were both the same name but Michelin had changed the tread design and so I had 2 different tread designs. I called Michelin Corp and they worked me a deal to replace the half worn out ones with new tires to match. If I remember correctly, they gave me credit for the tread that was left on the old tires and applied that credit to the purchase of the new ones. What more could I ask for ?

My suggestion is to go to a very reputable Michelin dealer and buy from them. If you never have any problems, Costco or Sams are great places to shop. When I have had problems, the big boxes don't seem to really want to help. My dealer's prices are almost identical to the big box prices.

Oh, I have the Defender T+H on my LS400, Defender LTX M/S on both my SUV's and the Premiere on my LS430 (knowing they aren't gonna last).

I just put the defender LTX tires on to our 2014 Honda odyssey last night. 235/65-17. The van just rolled over 50,000 miles and the primacy mxm4 tires still had a few sixteenths of tread left, however one had a plug from a screw that was removed, which started to slow leak again. It kind of stinks because if this was the spring time I would be OK with just keeping on adding air every couple of weeks and deal with the tread depth which would be fine through the summer. Since the winter is coming, and because Costco had the special that give free installation we decided to bite the bullet early.

We've put about 35 miles on so far. Mostly highway. The tires are smooth and quiet, at least as good as the OE tires, as far as my memory serves. They do seem to ride a bit harder though. Caveat, I haven't measured what the Costco guys put in pressure-wise, but the van does seem to meet bumps/frost heave lines on the highway a bit harder. And I did run the OE Primacy tires around 37-38 vs the recommended 33psi.

I went in thinking we'd go with the premier LTX, and both Costco and The Critic on here warned against it because they're not seeing great tread life.

I think we will be happy with these tires, this is a minivan after all... Time will tell if they get loud or ride harsh, but I have my doubts. These are relatively tough tires that are well time and user tested.

BF265513-2AF9-414D-8332-7CED8E456D42.jpeg

DFCD5E7E-0ACC-4D55-890A-FE57FE3D87A6.jpeg

I am using the Defender LTX on 2 vehicles. A gen 1 Toyota Tunrda (the Sams Club badged as "X LT" version), and on a Venza, where I bought them at Costco. They are great tires on both vehicles. Mine are still at 10/32" tread depth and wearing evenly after more than 2 years and 14,000 miles on the Tundra. The tread life is very long on these tires; I think it is a case of you get what you pay for. These are still a very quiet tire and comfortable ride in the Tundra which is my daily driver.

I also have the Defender T+H on 2 cars, a Corolla and an Elantra. They are great tires too and are good in the snow with these FWD cars, but are passenger car tires. Some small SUV have nearly car-like weight but if in any doubt I would go with the Defender LTX instead

AAA did a tire study this year and the Michelin Defender LTX came far ahead of other high- and low-priced tires for stopping distance when new, lateral acceleration, and stopping distance when worn to 4/32". For the worn tires the Defender LTX stopped so much better than the rest it was a shocker.

https://www.aaa.com/AAA/common/AAR/files/Tire-Study-Report.pdf

Had them installed on our Lexus and so far, excellent tires and (early on) treadwear appears to be exceptional ... really happy with the purchase and will be putting them on my Jeep next.

In that category for the Sorento, I'd pick the BF Goodrich Advantage T/A over the Michelin. You're in Ohio, so you want a good tire for winter driving. The reviews I've seen have the advantage leaning towards the BFG's in that regard. Just my .02

The Michelin Defender LTX M/S are good tires. I have been using the earlier versions of this tire for years. They seem to have some of the longest treadlife of tires I have seen. I have had some dry rotting type issues after 3 or 4 years, but this has happened to other manufacturers as well. Good Tire Dealers will usually take care of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back