Mopar OAT alternatives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as the cooling system is completely flushed of all vestiges of previous coolant, you can technically go with any kind/brand you want. But if you want to stick with the OAT formula and prefer something that's easier to find and less expensive over harder to find and more expensive, go with Prestone's Dexcool offering.

It's readily available at any Walmart and quite affordable. It's also an OAT formula, although not exactly the same as the Mopar version.

Nevertheless, you will be just fine with it going forward, assuming you keep it changed out at the proper service interval.

The Chrysler coolant is good for 10 years. Why would you be flushing it already?

Zerex G-05 by Valvoline is a HOAT that I use in my Mopar built VW Routan. I am 99.44% sure it is fully compatible with the original pink coolant. It is available at the 'Zone.

Originally Posted by FordCapriDriver
Originally Posted by zrxkawboy
The Chrysler coolant is good for 10 years. Why would you be flushing it already?

+1

+2 This is one of those cases where I would stick with Chrysler OAT coolant when the time comes to service the cooling system in my 2016 Rubicon. I read enough horror stories about people using the wrong coolant.

Originally Posted by forged
Zerex G-05 by Valvoline is a HOAT that I use in my Mopar built VW Routan. I am 99.44% sure it is fully compatible with the original pink coolant. It is available at the 'Zone.

The OPs cooling system calls for OAT coolant. Mixing G-05 with OAT is a formula for disaster. G-05 is HOAT they will not mix w/o causing a problem. Even if you flush the cooling system, if there is a little of the HOAT remaining it will cause problems, in fact Chrysler has issued TSB's warning their techs about this. During the PBI prior to delivery of the vehicles, even topping off the coolant overflow tank with a small amount OAT when a vehicle called for HOAT, or vice versa causes problems. We've had this discussion prior, it ended in a locked thread my warning is valid.

TSB - 07-004-12 REV. A
SUBJECT:
Attention! Release Of New Engine Coolant Organic Additive Technology (OAT)
MODELS:
2013 (D2) Ram Truck (3500 Pick Up)
2013 (DD) Ram Truck (3500 Chassis Cab)
2013 (DJ) Ram Truck (2500 Pick Up)
2013 (DP) Ram Truck (4500 / 5500 Chassis Cab)
2013 (DX) Ram Truck (Mexico)
2013 (DS) Ram Truck (1500)
2013 (FF) Fiat 500
2013 (JC) Journey
2013 (JK) Wrangler
2013 (JS) Avenger/200
2013 (LC) Challenger
2013 (LD) Charger
2013 (LX) 300
2013 (MK) Compass/Patriot
2013 (PF) Dart
2013 (RT) Town & Country/Grand Caravan
2013 (WD) Durango
2013 (WK) Grand Cherokee
2013 (ZD) Viper
NOTE: This bulletins applies to all vehicle listed above for every engine application
EXCEPT the 2013 MK equipped with the 2.2L Diesel engine (sales code ENE)
and the JC vehicle equipped with the 2.0L Diesel engine (sales code EBT).
NUMBER:
07-004-12 REV. A

GROUP:
Cooling

DISCUSSION:
Chrysler Corporation LLC. has released a new engine coolant for the 2013 model year
vehicles and beyond, for all engine applications except the ones listed in the note above.
This new coolant is an Organic Additive Technology (OAT) (
Fig. 1). OAT coolants have a
service interval of 10 years or 150,000 miles. For heavy duty truck and extreme duty cycle
applications refer to the Service Information or Owner's Manual for proper maintenance
schedules.

CAUTION: Vehicle Damage may occur if dissimilar coolants are mixed!
Coolants of different technologies are not compatible nor interchangeable (OAT, HOAT or
IAT).
Mixing these coolants could result in:
• accelerated corrosion within the engine and cooling systems.
• the coolant having an ammonia smell.
• debris (particles) floating in the coolant.
Further inspection by the technician may find corrosion in the system. This could show up
as aluminum pipes turning black in the coolant system, engine overheat, or leaks in the
coolant system.
NOTE: If OAT (MOPAR P/N 68163848AA Purple) has been Mixed with HOAT (MOPAR
P/N 68048953AB Pink Or Factory Fill HOAT Orange (
Fig. 2) or (Fig. 3)) or any
other coolants have been mixed, it will be necessary to flush the cooling

system.

Originally Posted by cos
The_Nuke,

Are you recommending Prestone Dex-Cool or Prestone Cor-Guard?

They are similar, but not the same.

OP, stick with the Chrysler stuff.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dlundblad

OP, stick with the Chrysler stuff.

That is great advice. It can be had in full strength concentrate for about $20-$25, or possibly less with a little savvy shopping.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Originally Posted by FordCapriDriver

+1

+2 This is one of those cases where I would stick with Chrysler OAT coolant when the time comes to service the cooling system in my 2016 Rubicon.

+4, this is a rabbit hole you don't want to go down. Stick with the OE fluid.

10 years or 240,000km - I NEVER max any fluid out on mileage. I am st 96,000 km now.

Mopar 50/50 is $23 up here, $44 for pure. I will stay oem until I get it flushed, then it will get whstever my local shop uses.

Last edited:
The OP asked when getting his system flushed, "Let's remove OAT from the equation, what would you recommend?" So, I gave him one, HOAT.

I did not recommend or even wish to suggest that coolants of different chemistry be mixed.

^^^^Using the OP query, that's a fair enough explanation. If I definitely wasn't going to use Mopar OAT, with a flush I'd likely use Peak Global Lifetime. It is an OAT but has no 2eha, which makes it very similar to Mopar in attributes. Honestly, I wouldn't switch to silicate AF, even a low silicate one like G-05 for topic vehicle. I also wouldn't choose an AF with 2eha, so that would eliminate any Dex or Dexclone universal. Just me.

Peak has the new 10X OAT no 2eha which sounds interesting, but haven't seen it in stores yet.

Originally Posted by forged
The OP asked when getting his system flushed, "Let's remove OAT from the equation, what would you recommend?" So, I gave him one, HOAT.

I did not recommend or even wish to suggest that coolants of different chemistry be mixed.

Me, I wouldn't tempt fate even with a complete flush I would still use the Mopar OAT coolant the vehicle calls for. After seeing first hand at a local Jeep dealership the mess the two mixed together can cause I'll pass. I have a friend who is an A-tech at a local Jeep dealership, and even after several DIYer's did a "complete flush" he had to service cooling systems for sludge from the mix of OAT and HOAT. It appears they might not have done as good a flush as they thought. Opinions vary, me I'd rather not tempt fate, when for under $25 I can use a coolant I know won't be an issue.

My coolant flush will be done by the local shop, they use a flush machine, do a thorough flush. I also let them do my teans fluid too, not worth the mess doing it myself.

Originally Posted by WillB
My coolant flush will be done by the local shop, they use a flush machine, do a thorough flush. I also let them do my teans fluid too, not worth the mess doing it myself.

OK Hopefully they do it properly and you have no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back