Chevy 2.4 Oil Burner Oil/Filter Change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Short story: Wifes Equinox burns oil... Using Castrol GTX Magnatec i have the consumption down to about a half quart a week give or take. Should I continue and change at the intended 5k mile mark? Or is it safe to say i can take it past knowing its getting a splash of fresh oil weekly. Also, I am using Napa Gold filter cartridges, how long are they good for realistically? Whats a safe milage for both? Thanks.

I think you could safely extend the OCI, how far? I am not sure. I like to play it safe, so if it were my vehicle I wouldn't go past 5K miles including filter change. Is the oil burning not covered by GM?

Originally Posted by GaryPoe
Short story: Wifes Equinox burns oil... Using Castrol GTX Magnatec i have the consumption down to about a half quart a week give or take.

How many miles per quart? And what's the sump capacity?

Its about 1000 per quart give or take and a 5qt sump. It got alot better when i switched from m1 to castrol like i said

Its about 1000 per quart give or take and a 5qt sump. It got alot better when i switched from m1 to castrol like i said

If you go 5000 miles then it basically had an "oil change". You could probably just change the oil filter and it wouldn't make any difference to do a real oil change or not.

About 70k and 2013

You should get a hold of your local Chevy dealer and see if they can help you out. We (the shop where I work) have sent boatloads of these Ecotec POS's back to the dealer, and the feedback from our customers has been that since oil consumption and timing chain problems are well established issues with these engines they've either been getting assistance from GM with having them re-ringed or GM completely covering it. Found out the other day there may be a class action lawsuit involving this engine as well. Worth checking into at the least, may be able to get it repaired for between a fraction of the cost and nothing.

No issues getting the Chevy dealer here in Sioux City (Knoepfler) to cover piston rings under warranty after an oil consumption test.

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 43
I'd go with 10W-40, high mileage oil. Either full synthetic or a blend.
Maybe 5W-30 if temps get below 0°.
Major errors in designing that engine and it's systems.
Check for fuel dilution while you are at it.

My 2¢

What about a 5w40 ? I just picked up some Chevron Delos that is CK / SN rated 5w40 for $18 a gallon at Amazon. Son's Mini Cooper- they backspecced oil from 5w30 to 5w40.

. Heck, I'd settle on a Hyundai over a chevrolet. Sorry rambling...

You would not be "settling" - moving to a Hyundai/Kia would be a huge upgrade over the equinox.
Go test drive a Kia Sorento or (Hyundai Santa Fe) and you'll be desperate to get rid of your Chevy Equinox.

Hyundai and Kia now make very nice cars - - -
A **LOT** has changed the last 20 years.

I prefer my Kia Optima over the Toyota Camry and Honda Accord, and I have driven all just to compare.

I have the same situation. At 5000 miles, I have basically changed it. And since filters can go 2x an OCI, I change it every 10k.

If it was my car i would have already traded it in. Its the wifes car and shes literally cried several times over this mess and i feel terrible about it but she is refusing another car payment which i completely understand. If chevrolet built a quality vehicle or stood behind their product there wouldnt be any need for any of this. I think im going to agree with you philipp10, 10k mile oci. Just like was said before, could probobly just chainge the filter and be good...

My 07 Accord burns about a quart every 1k as well. I change the oil/filter when the OLM reaches about 15%, even with all of the top-off. If I'm using a Purolator Synthetic/Boss or a Fram Ultra, I use them for 2 OCIs. Usually 6-7k miles per OCI.

What a shame for a vehicle with 70,000 miles to be consuming that much oil, I'd be going out of my mind. Shame on GM. But like others have already said, if they won't fix it for you, go for 10,000 mile oil changes and drive it till it blows up. Who knows? You might get a good 100,000 miles out of it..and try to look on the bright side, how many quarts of oil does the 2.4 take? 4? 5? A lot of us have engines that hold 6-9 quarts...may last car was 9.1 quarts and my current one is 8 (and they both used oil).

I think I'm going to agree with you, 10k mile oci. Just like was said before, could probably just change the filter and be good...

I also agree.

Once you get to the point where there's absolutely no point in doing an oil change anymore...

don't bother changing it - - - just keep adding as needed.

Just keep adding oil and swap filters at 10k. Especially if the goal is only 2 more years.

Alternatively if she doesn't want a car payment, put a reman engine it - I like Jasper or Tristar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back