brake fluid and power steering fluid change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have vehicles where the manufacturers have no recommendation for changing them. How often in that situation should they be changed? Or just let it go? Or go by some other indication?

Is it they have no recommendation or that you don't have he book? (Ha-ha)

My guess is 3 years for both.

Reservoir drain and fills for the P/S will keep the fluid fresh but some work is needed to do the brakes.

Originally Posted by Kira
Is it they have no recommendation or that you don't have he book? (Ha-ha)

My guess is 3 years for both.

Reservoir drain and fills for the P/S will keep the fluid fresh but some work is needed to do the brakes.
Both manuals are in there perspective vehicles. I don't think that the RAV4 has power steering fluid.

For most street vehicles that are not raced no real reason to change the steering fluid unless it gets contaminated. You can always suck some out after 50k+ and top off to check the fluid quality.

Brake fluid I flush out every brake job. Unless you have an electric car or hybrid just wait for the brake job to flush.

Personally, brake fluid changes for my vehicles are between 3-4 years. For power steering every 5 years is fine. On the Caravan I did a PSF drain and fill with the Vacuum extractor this summer. Used some brake cleaner to get any debris out of the reservoir.

I've always done the turkey baster for the power steering every 50k or so, less in some vehicles where it darkened earlier.

Brakes...get bled with caliper changes...that's all I've ever done and never a problem. Now that I've got newer vehicles rather than a 70's Mopar product it might be time for some turkey baster action there also.

I drop the pressure line at the power steering box or rack-and-pinion and drain. I turkey baster the old fluid from the master cylinder and fill with new fluid. Then I open the bleeder screws until the fluid coming out is clean and clear.

Originally Posted by 2010Civic
Most manufacturers recommend changing the brake fluid every 2-3 years.

Show me one that even says that.

Originally Posted by NH73

https://owners.honda.com/servicemaintenance/minder?year=2003&model=Civic-Sedan#mid^ES1653PW

Honda recommends every 3 years on the brake fluid. Look at the 3 year mark on the link above. And then again at 6 years. Mercedes and most German cars recommend every 2 years.

You don't have to be rude...

https://owners.honda.com/servicemaintenance/minder?year=2003&model=Civic-Sedan#mid^ES1653PW

Honda recommends every 3 years on the brake fluid. Look at the 3 year mark on the link above. And then again at 6 years. Mercedes and most German cars recommend every 2 years.

It is not rude to say I want to see proof. Yet, you put in a link I can't see.

It is not rude to say I want to see proof. Yet, you put in a link I can't see.

When you "can't see" a link all you have to do is copy and paste...
I did it for you, here you go

... Click here ...

While we are on the subject, I too never knew about replacing brake fluid unless the rear brake failed on my Yamaha 1300 Tourer motorcycle as I came down a mountain 2up with my wife on the back, was the scariest maybe 10 minutes of my life, all because the brake fluid wasn't changed, once we made it without crashing to the bottom, 10 minutes later the brake fluid cooled and rear brake started working again, my fear at the time was if the front brake went out we would have certainly crashed.

Automobiles hold a lot more fluid and will last much longer but its silly not to replace at least every five years if no mention in your owners manual, more so if your going to keep the vehicle and never more then 3 in a motorcycle.. The only thing that makes the fluid "go bad" is simply the fluid absorbs moisture, by changing the fluid, you get rid of the moisture and that will ensure brake calipers, master cylinders and other components dont go bad from corrosion. Moisture in the brake fluid reduces the boiling point and under sever braking conditions the moisture will vaporize in the system which can lead to loss of the brakes until the fluid cools down again.

Last edited:
The recommended brake fluid change interval also depends on which fluid is used. For example my 07 Cadillac takes DOT 3 or DOT 4 fluid. The OM does not state a change interval for DOT 3 but the interval is 2 yrs for the DOT 4:

Screenshot_20191013-110812_Dropbox.jpg

^^^Very Interesting^^^^ Thanks for posting, for the life of me, I cant understand why that would be stated, maybe an error?
At any rate, I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it.

Ahhh ... just found it, different composition ... very interesting.
Anyway, I would stick with a DOT 3 in your case and still think its a great idea for a flush albeit if DOT 3, 5 years would be fine. Both fluids absorb moisture.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by alarmguy
^^^Very Interesting^^^^ Thanks for posting, for the life of me, I cant understand why that would be stated, maybe an error?
At any rate, I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it.

Ahhh ... just found it, different composition ... very interesting.
Anyway, I would stick with a DOT 3 in your case and still think its a great idea for a flush albeit if DOT 3, 5 years would be fine. Both fluids absorb moisture.

It certainly is easier to just use DOT3 for a few years until the brake pads need service! I just flushed mine last year when I installed new pads so I am not worrying about it much. The real question is what to do if one uses Valvoline DOT 3/4 fluid in a car like mine...

I havent seen any car manufacturer that shows maintenance for power steering and brake fluid. Those 2 are the most neglected components.

Originally Posted by painfx
I havent seen any car manufacturer that shows maintenance for power steering and brake fluid. Those 2 are the most neglected components.

My manual shows replace every 32 months for the BF. For the PSF it recommends a (I)nspect every 2yrs and replace if dirty, but I push out the PSF to every 3yrs and use MaxLife for a full flush. (at abt 3yrs the PSF begins to darken from the virgin bright red of the MaxLife)..both systems still have the factory components in fine working order at 164k miles.

Fwiw, been using MaxLife for the PSF ever since the warranty expired and I've always had a shop do the brake flush and inspect the system. I've used the same locally owned shop for nearly 20yrs now for all my cars over the years and they do the flush for $60 out the door.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back