Are you willing to jump start a stranger's vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by domer10
Originally Posted by mclasser
I know I sound like a D-bag, but no. I'm afraid of a possible explosion from hydrogen gas released by batteries. You also hear about some modern cars frying something after a jump start. The odds of these things happening are very low but I don't want the liability. Luckily, nobody's ever asked me for a jump and if I ever need one, I have AAA.

Seriously a hydrogen explosion, would never happen in open air setting, you would have to be in a pretty small enclosed confined space for even enough hydrogen vapour to cause a explosion lol.

Since the explosion happens inside the battery jar, and generally blows its top off spraying acid everywhere, I would say that is a small confined space.

[/quote]Seriously a hydrogen explosion, would never happen in open air setting, you would have to be in a pretty small enclosed confined space for even enough hydrogen vapour to cause a explosion lol.
[/quote]

I've seen it happen first hand. My friend I was with was jumping somebody else, as soon as their car started my friends battery blew up, literally. Broke the case open and spewed acid everywhere. It's rare, but it does happen.

No. A couple of years ago a two kids were having problems and asked for a jump in the supermarket parking lot. I got out the cables and it would not go. Appeared to be a dragging starter. Told them sorry, went to disconnect the cables and the one kid got upset that I was leaving and grabbed me by the arm and said nono don't go keep trying . I broke loose and made it clear that I was done. That could have gone bad real quick.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
I have cables in my trunk. I would absolutely help. Only time I have ever seen a problem jumping a car is when some highschool students jumped a Civic backwards. It was a $5 fuse to fix. I think this "you'll fry computers" is nonsense. Cars where designed to be jumped.

no kidding. I live in Minnesota, been jumping cars for years. Never once, if done properly have I heard of "this damage". This site is so full of worrywarts it gives me heartburn.

Back in the 80's I would take turns with my buddies cruising the town on Friday or Saturday nights. Whoever wasn't driving, we would park in front of the bank.

We wrap up around 11pm or so one night and I go to start my car. KA-BOOM! It was loud. (Battery blew) No doubt it set an alarm off which got the bank president out of bed after the cops had arrived. The president was hot under the collar.

Needless to say I'm overly cautious to this day whenever I receive or give battery jumps.

No.

If you went back over 25 years ago I'd say I would. It's not the risk of damaging the batteries I'm concerned about it is the liability.
Back until the early 90s people wouldn't be looking to get a pay off if something went wrong, today it's epidemic.

I will jump but with a battery pack and after a disclaimer.. or I make them attach it.

Absolutely! Although the company I worked for had a policy against it. I always did the right thing!

We are all connected.....

I've done it many times. Two conditions: 1) Carefully assess the situation to gauge if it's a possible setup for being mugged, strong-armed or carjacked etc. 2) I handle the jumper connections both on and off.

BTW: Having worked as a mechanic, driven tow trucks and also worked on yacht battery systems with multiple banks of 12, 24 and 48v batteries, I've jumped hundreds of batteries... -And for the life of me, I can't figure-out how some people manage to blow-up batteries by jumping them.

Apparently it doesn't take a lot of hydrogen gas to explode. When I was a kid my dad had a 6 volt truck battery blow up right in his face. Luckily he wasn't seriously injured.

Originally Posted by RayCJ

BTW: Having worked as a mechanic, driven tow trucks and also worked on yacht battery systems with multiple banks of 12, 24 and 48v batteries, I've jumped hundreds of batteries... -And for the life of me, I can't figure-out how some people manage to blow-up batteries by jumping them.

11.gif
I just chalk it up to people that should never do anything to a car then drive & refuel them.

I used to sell batteries and used them on our fuel trucks.

We had trouble starting it, so jumped it it think, but what happened is that the connectors had short inside, and inside had enough hydrogen to blow sky high just as starter was turned on.

Luckily out of three of us no ones face was quite close enough to get a dose of acid.

I don't remember seeing any others that did that, but knew it could happen. Never stand over battery when jumping.

Originally Posted by LubeFiner
Originally Posted by RayCJ

11.gif
I just chalk it up to people that should never do anything to a car then drive & refuel them.

Right! Don't know the exact count but I'm sure it's more than a couple dozen times that I've either jumped a car or received a jump and never blown up a battery or damaged electronics. It's not rocket science but apparently somehow, some way people can FUBAR it....‚

Last edited:
Depends upon where, as others have stated. In a parking lot after working second shift, I absolutely won"t leave someone stranded. Out on the highway, I'd make a careful assessment first....But I often work in rural areas; I also carry a small air compressor, floor jack & small stands, tire repair kit, battery powered impact, and a few other goodies. (My Milwaukee 2767-20 will twist the lugs off an 18 wheeler) https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Fastening/Impact-Wrenches/2767-20.

The tool I carry that has been used the MOST; not for me, but helping others, is my little POS cigarette lighter powered air compressor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back