Status
Not open for further replies.
Or a poll to see how many want polls.
grin.gif

Originally Posted by JLTD
I for one would prefer polls enabled.

Same here.

Originally Posted by blupupher
As the title says, why are polls not allowed here?
It is part of the forum software and can be done, but disabled on this forum.

All you get is meaningless poll after poll after poll.

Originally Posted by joekingcorvette
And what may I ask is the reason for no avatars?

Have ya'll ever seen some of those forums where people have the most obnoxious "avatars" imaginable?

Originally Posted by atikovi
Why do we need polls?
See below

Originally Posted by atikovi
Just posting the question will give more meaningful information.

"Meaningful" ? You also get commentary, opinions, justifications, arguments, and so on and in many cases, the OP may just want a simple, clear and concise response and nothing more. Ask a question like "Do you follow your car's OLM, YES or NO?" and see how many yes or no answers you get here.... I could come up with many more examples.

Originally Posted by blupupher
As the title says, why are polls not allowed here?
It is part of the forum software and can be done, but disabled on this forum.

I had to confirm for myself that this software actually supports it and yes, it does. I was surprised, to be honest ! My initial reaction was it probably doesn't !

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Isn't it just amazing how an Admin hasn't just jumped in here to clear this up?

Why Amazing Johnny?

I normally answer this type of question and now is the first time today I've had a chance to sit and answer.

I've looked at polls on many other internet forums and don't see their value. I am always willing to listen if someone can explain what the value of polls would be to BITOG.

Wayne

Originally Posted by wwillson
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Isn't it just amazing how an Admin hasn't just jumped in here to clear this up?

Why Amazing Johnny?

I normally answer this type of question and now is the first time today I've had a chance to sit and answer.

Well I almost just PM'd you which is what I should have done. I have seen polls used that have created some good data. Even by our sys admins when I was in IT.
Not always effect but with some thought it can be.

The issue with polls I've seen is that they allow answers without substance and can be skewed depending on the current trends.

For example, 10 years ago this site would have gone all in on a poll for PureOnes. Fram and ECores were universally hated on here. Nowadays, I figure this wouldnt be the case.

I've seen plenty of forums for vehicles that polls are there, thousands of votes, and very little comments on the reasoning behind the votes.

Some people want to see the reason why something is where it's at in the poll. "Why is the oil filter or oil ranked so high in this poll? Theres no comments, just numbers! Is it a good product? Is there a rebate? Is an outside source skewing results?"

Its alot easier to find the trollish newbie hocking X product in a post than it is finding them voting in polls.

Edit: long story short, it's better to have people have a discussion over products than it is to just have a poll with a lack of discussion. Polls become outdated depending on factors mentioned above.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wwillson
I've looked at polls on many other internet forums and don't see their value. I am always willing to listen if someone can explain what the value of polls would be to BITOG.

"Value" is quite subjective.

I'll ask this: What harm will it bring to the site if they are enabled ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back