$4 get peppercorns and a free grinder

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a "disposable" glass peppercorn grinder with peppercorns at Wal-Mart for $3-$4, and bought a mixture of different peppercorns also at Wal-Mart for the same price. When the grinder was empty, I used a tongue and groove pliers to remove the grinder cap to refill. I have a few of these grinders to use for other seeds such as fennel to use for recipes.

IMG_20191018_090342.jpg

Not a terrible idea, but it's been my experience that the grinding mechanisms in those typically wear out fairly fast. I can't speak for that one though, so you might get quite a lot of use out of it. I've thought about doing that before, but never tried it. Let us know how it holds up.

There are 2, possibly 3 grinders I've received as gifts sitting in their boxes.

The one I'm using now delivers consistent textures. The adjuster nut atop resembles a finial. It twists positively, adjusting the depth of the "cone & cup" style mill.

It never walks out-of-adjustment. It maintains a perfect range of grind.

The OP's repurposing of anything for as long as possible is a great thing to do.

I have and had so many grinders and it seems they go out of adjustment and I seem to be always turning the knob on top.

I enjoy Indian food and grind the whole spices in to a hot pan for toasting to bring out the flavors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back