2015 Forester XT Mobil 1 ESP Formula, 7718 km (4800 miles)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

Here's my latest UOA with Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5w-30.

Iron is at an all time low but aluminum is up a bit.

Previous UOAs were as follow:

91 182 km was with Rotella Multi Vehicle 5w-30
82 271 km was with QSUD 5w-30
74 956 km was with QSUD 5W-30
67 931 km was with QSUD 5w-30
64 076 km was with PP 5W-30

This UOA also stayed in grade like the Rotella MV, which leads me to believe that HDEO and C3 oils will shear less than Ressource Conserving oils.

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 147
Last edited:
True, shearing a bit. Actually, I think Subaru knew this when it specified 5w-30 for their turbo engines, and 0w-20 for non-turbo ones, since they expect the turbo version will shear down & fuel dilute some. So its probably not a big deal. (Imagine if a 0w20 was used, it would shear/dilute down to an excessively low HTHS.)
You did make a good choice of oils, some of the best around. M1 ESP & Rotella Multi. Rotella can be ordered from Walmart at a decent price.
Great iron wear numbers with the thicker oils.

On the Rotella website, a bitog user said:
★★★★★5 out of 5 stars.
Ignatius
· a month ago
Best 5W-30 oil currently available!
I use this oil in my car's GDI engine and I know several people who love using it in their high performance Subaru engines like that of the STi, WRX, and Forester XT. It just doesn't shear like other 5W-30 oils often do. I am very happy that Shell offers this product but it is very difficult to find in stores and usually online retailers offer it at a more premium price. I hope it is made more commonly available in the future!

Not too bad. Once again, I CANNOT agree with Blackstone on running the OCI to 10,000 km.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MParr
Not too bad. Once again, I CANNOT agree with Blackstone on running the OCI to 10,000 km.

Why is that?

Low wear metals, plenty of TBN left and still in grade, I would think it's fine.

I just noticed that the insoluble is at 0.4% and it never has been over 0.2% before, anything to worry about?

Filter used was Fram Ultra and before it was Wix or OEM.

Last edited:
I notice d that was high-ish. I'd try another filter.

Best = Mazda Rx8 Tokyo-Roki if she fits. But Maybe not on a T car.

Most all Japanese cars use the same spin on filter with minor variations in outer dimensional L , W

and bypass. ( but Toyota goes their own way)

Originally Posted by jbutch
I just noticed that the insoluble is at 0.4% and it never has been over 0.2% before, anything to worry about?

I noticed the same thing with my Explorer UOA I posted recently. I wonder if Blackstone is doing something different in judging the insoluble level than previously.

Whimsey

Originally Posted by Whimsey
Originally Posted by jbutch

I noticed the same thing with my Explorer UOA I posted recently. I wonder if Blackstone is doing something different in judging the insoluble level than previously.

Whimsey

What filter was used in that UOA?

Thats only 6200 miles.
coffee2.gif

Originally Posted by Al

Thats only 6200 miles.
coffee2.gif

That's what I though as well, 10k is even what Subaru specify for oci.

Since the thread as been brought up, I have a small update, I changed the oil yesterday and put in some Pennzoil Euro LX 0w-30 for the cold Canadian winter that is already here. Will do an UOA and post it in this sub forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back