03-07 Accord K24 oil consumption tendencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjk

Hello,

I've heard it said that the K24 can use oil. I have an 07, and it is going through some oil in between changes. Now, I will preface this - it does a good deal of delivery work (stop/start), as that supplements my income.

I believe it is going through a quart and 1/2 between 5k oil changes. I am planning on changing the PCV valve this weekend. Don't know the car's history, beyond the year that I've owned it.

One other oddity, I believe the sump takes 4.25 quarts (or in that area). It takes 5 quarts to get to the full line on the dipstick. Would it be possible that the dipstick in the 4 cylinder is the same as the 6 cylinder, or is there some kind of calibration issue?

For owners, what have been your experience with this engine. BTW, switched to a hi-mileage oil this interval, doesn't seem to be affecting rate of consumption. No oil on ground, no leaks in engine bay...

Thank you.

Wifey's 2006 TSX has the mighty K24; over 190K miles.
It has had a steady diet of M1 on 5K to 7K OCIs since new.
I never check the oil; the engine has been perfect and internally is clean as a whistle.

Maybe I got lucky, or maybe your vehicle was net serviced as diligently?
I would stick with High Mileage Synthetic oil; try 5w30 if you are using 5w20.
Good luck.

Yes, i have used 5/30 since I bought it, but have always stuck with a syn blend. I don't intend to change from that aspect. I suspect part of the consumption is the way it is used...

Regardless, it runs like a top, and oil is cheap. Just looking for other people's experiences.

I have an '07 K24 Accord, but only 63000 kms on it, so no oil consumption. Mine takes 4.2 litres (quarts) to the full line on the dipstick, which matches the capacity shown in the owners manual. If your having to use 5 quarts to reach the full mark, your definitely over filling the sump. Which would explain the oil consumption. I would find a K24 dipstick (dealer or scrapyard?) and compare to the one you have.

I had an 05 Accord 2.4 for a couple years. Purchased with 100,000 miles and sold with 140,000 miles. I ran Amsoil SS 0W-20 for 10k and would add around a 1/2 quart between changes. Engine didn't burn much and ran well. Kind of wish I would have kept that car
frown.gif

I thought I read somewhere here that the K24 had the low tension rings, and if not maintained early on, may lead to this condition ? Again, not that this is something that is a big concern in my life, but just curious....

And to reiterate, does city and frequent stop/start cycles affect consumption?

I had an 03. Bought with 100k on it. Had to replace stretched timing chain around 190k. Burned oil like crazy the last 30k or so miles. Took about a quart every 1000 miles to keep it full. From the time I purchased it I changed the oil pretty frequently trying to clean it up (oil was pretty black). I assume the rings were clogged up but never pursued repairing or replacing the engine as I never put any more work into it beyond maintenance other than calipers, an ac compressor, and timing chain. Didn't want it to start nickel and diming with struts wheel bearings axles transmission issues etc. it finally spun a bearing even though I kept it topped off and I traded it in.

I have a 05 Accord K24 with 190k miles. Got it with 103k. It has burned a decent amount of oil ever since I got it. I've heard these engines just burn oil. Even when they are new.

Originally Posted by 2010Civic
I have a 05 Accord K24 with 190k miles. Got it with 103k. It has burned a decent amount of oil ever since I got it. I've heard these engines just burn oil. Even when they are new.

I guess one of the reasons I started this thread, was to verify this. Regardless, oil is cheap.

I am still stumped by the dipstick. I might run down to a dealer this weekend, and talk to someone. It makes no sense to have to add 5 qts to get it to 'full'.

I'd like to bump this one last time.... sorry.

Should I stick to a 4.2 quart oil change vs the 5 I've been previously using ? I am completely stumped. I've been doing oil changes for over 33 years. I've never had a dipstick 'misread' the level of oil.

Could really use some help here, as I know I am overfilling it, which isn't helping initial consumption. Would like to get a better handle on 'real' consumption.

I appreciate your input.

My understanding, from friends who have owned Accords with the 2.4, is as follows. If you drain the oil with the car level, like on a lift, it takes 4.5 its. to refill. If you drain the oil on ramps, you get a little more out and it takes 5 quarts to refill. Or so they tell me. I've owned Hondas with 1.5, 1.6, 1.8 and 3.5L engines and they always took the amount specified in the book regardless of how they were drained.

Originally Posted by JunkdrawerDog
My understanding, from friends who have owned Accords with the 2.4, is as follows. If you drain the oil with the car level, like on a lift, it takes 4.5 its. to refill. If you drain the oil on ramps, you get a little more out and it takes 5 quarts to refill. Or so they tell me. I've owned Hondas with 1.5, 1.6, 1.8 and 3.5L engines and they always took the amount specified in the book regardless of how they were drained.

This is correct. On a lift, 4.5 qt. On jack stands or if you insert an oil extraction tool into the drain plug, you will need about 4.8 qt to refill. The reason for the difference is due to the shape of the oil pan. The location of the drain plug is slightly higher than the bottom of the pan.

Well, that may be the answer !! thank you critic and others. I do my changes with Rhino ramps, so now it makes sense.....

Just out of curiosity, has anyone done the following (this comes from an older thread I encountered here about 6 years ago).

Add Berryman b12 to the oil, then let it idle (don't drive it) for 10 minutes. Then do the drain.

Does Berryman b12 contain too much solvent for this to work; rather cause potential harm ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back