Mercedes C240 Engine Temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi.
Mercedes C240 1999, M112 Engine.
Engine temperature usually stays near 100 (as seen in the image ) at city driving. At highways, it drops to 80
Many owners say that it should stay 80.even in city driving.
Fan is working. Removed the thermostat, still same.
What is the normal running temperature of this engine ?
Regards

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Hello. While I don't have a C240, I do have a 2000 E55 AMG. I can tell you in city stop-and-go traffic the temp gauge (which looks just like the one in the photo you posted) will raise somewhere between the 80 to 100 marks. I'm pretty sure it's normal. I posted a link to a MB message board where they discuss the same topic and they think it's normal. As long as the coolant is at the right level and you don't see any leaks, you should be fine.

W202 Temp

In the city both the engine and the radiator will heat up until the fan starts. On highway the radiator stays cool so the thermostat controls the engine. What is the thermostat rating, and is it the one specified for the car? Usually the thermostat and fan set temperatures are closer together.

I believe most German autos come with an 87*C T-stat.

The temp looks completely normal to me.

Normal 84-88 degree thermostat. For the life of me, I dont know why Mercedes does this, this was a huge complaint when I started at an MB dealer in 2002, why dont they just make it a normal temp gauge where it rides dead center. Even the new ones do this, had a 16 E class in, and even though theres no numbers on the temp gauge anymore, it still runs 2 ticks above the mid line. WHY?

On the 2014+ Jettas (and other VW models, I think) they've actually done away with the coolant temp gauge entirely. I had to plug in my old ScanGaugeII to get coolant temp info.

I agree, make the temp point to the middle of the graph so people at least have a clue.

Originally Posted by NICAT
Hi.
Mercedes C240 1999, M112 Engine.
Engine temperature usually stays near 100 (as seen in the image ) at city driving. At highways, it drops to 80
Many owners say that it should stay 80.even in city driving.
Fan is working. Removed the thermostat, still same.
What is the normal running temperature of this engine ?
Regards

[Linked Image]

Why are you running at 23c - did you pull the stat permanently??.. because that's way below the normal 180~220f operating range for a ICE.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Brons2
23C is the ambient temp, not the coolant temp.

Oh I see...got it. I don't know why I originally didn't notice the temp gauge to the left, duh...‚.. I don't see what's the problem here? 100c is a little on the high side but still within the normal range for internal combustion engines of 180~220f. By comparison my coolant temp goes between 180~201'ish f... depending on the season. The fans kick on at 200f so it only goes above 200f during the hottest outside temps. My boiling point is something like 240f, so it's well below any potential overheating issue.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back