Vaccum Oil Extractor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got the OEM tools 5.3 L extractor, and it works great. I like that the pump mechanism is metal and comes with multiple hoses for a variety of openings. I also got the brake bleeding hose so It I can do my brakes, trans, and normal oil changes. I've had mine for about 2 years and its still working great.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by double vanos
Well, I use a Griots garage one but now there many on the market that just as well as my GG.
Here's one at harbor freight: https://www.harborfreight.com/23-gal-manual-fluid-extractor-62643.html?_br_psugg_q=oil+sucker

Wow that one looks pretty good but its on the upper end of the price range. Its worked well for you over an extended time period?

I was looking at the Mitey Vac one as well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...;linkId=eac6239eb9ebcbc1c1085f0de8b35d7f

most extractors DON'T fully drain your pan!!! i conventionally drain it HOT + jack accordingly to get the drain at the lowest point.

I used to use the Topsider for my 335d. Disadvantage is that you can't see how much has been pulled, the container itself won't crack/collapse and you can store it on a shelf.
link

Last edited:
Originally Posted by benjy
most extractors DON'T fully drain your pan!!! i conventionally drain it HOT + jack accordingly to get the drain at the lowest point.

Nonsense. It depends on whether or not the dipstick tube is placed over the deepest section of the oil pan.

I dunno, mercedes says to use one despite having a sump drain

Simply not true, you should go over to the TDI club web site (I am a member there too). various members have measured the oil removed by both methods and tdi engines give up more oil with an extractor

this is because almost half a liter oil sits up in the oil filter housing and can only be removed by an extractor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RN93fWHL6zU

Originally Posted by ad244
I want to jump on the vaccum oil extractor bandwagon but I dont know where to start really. I suppose i should just pull the trigger on a cheapo from Amazon.

Only do this if you plan on throwing your time and money away.

I purchased the one below from Marine West several years ago.
Been working great for everything from PS fluid, ATF, and engine oil.

Don't let capacity be a limiting factor. On vehicles with a larger sump, merely disconnect before it gets full and empty it before completing the drain process.
That's what I do on the Lexus as my sump is over 6 liters, but the pump only holds 5.5ish or so.

Mityvac 7201 Fluid Evacuator Plus

Don't get one of the cheap Brand X knockoffs.

Originally Posted by ad244
Is this the one you guys are talking about??

Yes that is the one I have and 7-1/2 years later still using it.

I have a similar one and I can get about every drop out of my Hyundai and Nissan engines. On my for Ecoboost it leaves over a quart behind. Can't get the tube down in the pan all the way.

It depends on the engine.. subaru goes in at a weird angle and are terrible, most GM 4cyl work great with it.
YMMV
my pentastar 3.2- it left max 8 oz or so.. if 8oz of old oil is that horrible.. you should change it earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back