First wax after paint job

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally got the E36 back together after a glass out respray. Im planning on waxing it this weekend. I have caanuba from McGuires, but also purchased a bottle of Nu Finish recently that I forgot about. I wanted to see what everyone thought the best approach would be? Wax with caranuba and then apply the Nu Finish, or should the Nu just go on alone? Thanks for the help.

No no, I'd actually maybe use something like McGuire's spray "ceramic" or something light, stay away from nufinish or anything harsh for a while! I'll post a pic of what 2 coats of the spray did.

[Linked Image]

Avoid the waxes that are abrasive, as well as polish for a few months. Let the paint really harden. I have used new finish and rags end up the colour of the vehicle I was using it on.

He needs to avoid anything he really needs to rub into paint for now. The McGuire's is so simple and easy with the result. You can put it on absolutely everything as well

It's Meguiar's.

And I would use a straight wax like Meguiar's Gold Class or Ultimate.

I would not use a product with abrasive or chemical cleaners unless you need to. Nu Finish falls into the second camp.

It's my iPad that constantly changes it. And like I said, on virgin paint the spray is more than adequate for now, and then in a month or two he can put something on that requires elbow grease. Same protection, less work, so why risk weakening the clear coat and paint.

WHOA. When was it painted? Even after being baked, the paint needs 30 - 90 more days to finish outgassing. It also outgasses during the buffing process, just as a point of interest.

Thanks for the responses, Ill stick with the caranuba. It was finished in June, and has mostly sat on the lift at my shop while I put all of the seals, trim, exterior rub strips etc on unless I needed the lift to get heavy work done, I had 3 others to use.
I also have Chem Bros Caranuba spray wax, but I think Ill use that as upkeep, after I do the regular Caranuba.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ethan1
WHOA. When was it painted? Even after being baked, the paint needs 30 - 90 more days to finish outgassing. It also outgasses during the buffing process, just as a point of interest.

This is why I mentioned the this spray wax, you literally spray on the car while wet, and then just dry...voila showroom shine.

Originally Posted by domer10
Originally Posted by Ethan1

This is why I mentioned the this spray wax, you literally spray on the car while wet, and then just dry...voila showroom shine.

Is it better to just leave it be for 90 days, just leave it alone, then hit it with whatever you want after that?

There was a thread here recently on a brand new car that had claying and waxing done to it. I said to leave that one alone for a couple of weeks, and was told the factory baking completely out-gasses it already, and it was old obsolete advice to say leave it alone. (Of course, manufacture date is often months or a year before purchase, so there is that on new cars...).

The OP's finish is new paint outside of a factory, yet I wonder if the baking process isn't really that much different (???). Anybody shed any light on this?

It's spelled carnauba.

Skip the orange stuff. Use a good quality wax or sealant and save the Meguiars spray wax for in between washes using the wax as you dry method.

Originally Posted by Audios
I finally got the E36 back together after a glass out respray. Im planning on waxing it this weekend.

Need to let the paint cure a few months before putting anything on it.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by Audios
I finally got the E36 back together after a glass out respray. Im planning on waxing it this weekend.

Need to let the paint cure a few months before putting anything on it.

If you read the thread it was painted in June. How much longer should he wait?

domer10,

I was reading the back of the McGuire's spray hybrid ceramic and it says for the first application merely spray on and wipe off.

How do you apply it?

It is my understanding that the whole outgassing/let paint cure for 60 days thing applies to lacquer based paints only. Urethane based paints do not have the same limitations.

It is also my understanding that the original factory paint is urethane, but subsequent repaints by a body shop could be either (largely dependent upon price - more expensive = urethane; more affordable = lacquer).

Hopefully someone with some first hand knowledge on the subject will chime in and correct me if I am incorrect on any of this.

I did first one while drying, not that there was much water left on it anyway, then next day did it dry! It actually holds up better I find dry...also they say you can just spray it on after you wash after you have applications, let sit for a minute then spray off!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back